Thread: Australian Cookery of Today - c. 1943

Talking Australian Cookery of Today - c. 1943

I have a beautiful cookbook, from my vintage collection. Its from 1943, Published by Sun News - Pictorial, Melbourne. Printed in Britain.

Its a gorgeous little cookbook with black and white pictures, inside the cover is a recommended "Kitchen Plan"... I'll start off with the Preface, and then I'll come back to this thread and post recipes.

Quote Originally Posted by Australian Cookery of Today c. 1943 - Preface
    This book is dedicated to every Australian housewife and is designed to help in a practical way with those home-making problems which are peculiarly hers.

The number of cookery books already available is legion, but of these there are few which are definitely designed to meet the special needs of the Australian Woman. Such needs arise not only out of climatic conditions, but as well from the fact that, unable to secure reliable domestic help, she frequently finds herself in the position of housewife-hostess. While it is one thing to entertain successfully with the assistance of a trained staff, it is another to gain a reputation in this field without assistance.

One of the aims of Australian Cookery of Today is to help the housewife in this directions, and by studying the chapter devoted to entertaining, in which procedure at various kinds of parties from Sherry and ****tail to Informal Dinner-Parties is discussed, she will doubtless find many useful pointers which will help her win laurels as a hostess.

In this, and in other chapters throughout the book, recipes for the dainty and unusual type of dish suitable for serving on special festive occasions have been included.

Then, because the daily task of meal planning and cooking falls upon the shoulders of the housewife, an effort has been made to point less tiring and time-consuming ways of tackling this responsible job on which depends family health and well-being.

Science, which has stepped into the modern kitchen, has invented numerous devices which take the drudgery out of cooking as out of housework. Thus, all that the homemaker requires is the knowledge of how to make the best use of these devices in order to lighten routine tasks. Such knowledge is introduced in the opening chapter on The Modern Kitchen and is extended in simple, concise form throughout the succeeding chapters.

Armed with this knowledge, difficulties will be smoothed out and failures will be reduced, so that cooking becomes a fascinating adventure crowned with success.

For the benefit of new and inexperienced housewives to whom cookery failures are frequently so disheartening, the chapter which lists common failures and provides reasons and remedies for them will be of special interest.

Of no less interest to the inexperienced and experienced housewife alike, will be the chapter on Nutrition and Diet, introducing facts regarding the values of common foodstuffs designed to assist in the preparation of balanced meals advocated by dietetic experts.

Included in this chapter too, are menus for the woman who wishes to embark on a slimming diet. Full details of the popular 18 day diet are given together with a weeks alternative menu for those who favour a less drastic way to weight reduction.

Finally, it is fitting in times like the present, that mention should be made of the economic basis upon which this volume has been built up. Economy - always the watchword of the thrifty housewife - was never more important than today. Wise economy exercised in the matter of home catering must bring a sense of gratification, while economy of effort and time leaves leisure for the many interesting outside activities in which the average woman engages today.
    Hehehehe.

Pure gold! Look forward to hearing more.

You know if you ever want to part with your old kitchen books.....

I love reading stuff like this. Its just so fantasia-like isn't it!

Quote Originally Posted by Rouge View Post
    For the benefit of new and inexperienced housewives to whom cookery failures are frequently so disheartening, the chapter which lists common failures and provides reasons and remedies for them will be of special interest.
    This is sooooo me.... Where do I sign up?

Love books like this... have a few here too (one has a chapter on how to build your wine cellar as if every home should have one).... I scour Op Shops for titles like this one! Thanks for sharing

Love it... It sounds so similar to one I got from my gran... I think it is called the Miss Schauer Australian Cookbook and it is circa 1950... Will check tonight...

I love mine, it has a chapter on the pantry and how to stock it year round.

Default Re: Australian Cookery of Today - c. 1943

Googled this book title, first result to come up? This thread. Really? It seems the world really does revolve around BB! Lol, anyway, just acquired this book yesterday, and was looking to see what year it was published.

Default Re: Australian Cookery of Today - c. 1943

Armed with this knowledge, difficulties will be smoothed out and failures will be reduced, so that cooking becomes a fascinating adventure crowned with success.
    So that's my problem... since I am unable to secure reliable domestic help, I need SCIENCE!