Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Coffee pod machines.

Default Re: Coffee pod machines.

We have the aldi machine, but use lavazza pods from woolies because we don't like the aldi pods. We collect the pods after use, remove the coffee ground (which we use in our compost) and recycle the plastic part.

PZ, when you say recycle, do you take them somewhere? Or reuse? There are lots of plastic ones at work and I think they just put in the bin.

PZ, I've never thought of that, which is odd because I'm a mad recycler of everything else.

I've seen re-fillable/re-usable ones online which are a good choice for people who only want fairtrade coffee or who want to mix up their own coffee blends. I would go to that effort for a good Timor Leste roast!!

Plus GJs coffee is GROSS. Bleugh.

Lol, sorry that was in direct reply to the comments on the previous page re Gloria Jeans.
    We have a Krupps machine that is still going strong after at least 5 years... I think longer. I don't get the benefit of the pod machine, personally I'm not always environmentally minded but DH pointed out the amount of waste from pod machines versus regular ones so I imagine when this machine dies well just get another like it.
    We did buy milk frothers from Aldi and from Woollies however (totally worth it, IMO - no more arm cramps whilst heating milk, lol!) and I think the aldi one is better, even though it's harder to clean, as the woollies one doesn't get the milk hot enough.

I'm not sure about every pod brand, but the lavazza ones we buy use recyclable plastics, so we just clean them out, but the grounds to use in the compost and recycle the rest. It's time consuming opening each pod, but for us it's worth the luxury of having a pod machine until we can afford a proper coffee machine. DH is a mad recycler as well, so if there's a way, we find it lol.

Quote Originally Posted by PumpkinZulu View Post
    I'm not sure about every pod brand, but the lavazza ones we buy use recyclable plastics, so we just clean them out, but the grounds to use in the compost and recycle the rest. It's time consuming opening each pod, but for us it's worth the luxury of having a pod machine until we can afford a proper coffee machine. DH is a mad recycler as well, so if there's a way, we find it lol.
    Ahh so those pods are the type that you can put in the normal plastics recycling bin? - would I be able to tell on a used pod if it is a recyclable one or not (e.g. does it have the symbol or anything). I think I prefer the idea of biodegradable pods, but if you can recycle the plastic ones at home that would be my second choice.

ETA. I have just read some stuff that suggests that all plastic pods are recyclable - as long as separate grounds first.

Default Coffee pod machines.

You can get refillable pods online. I prefer this to the idea of recyclable pods, as to me the production is just as bad for the environment as the waste. I'm not a huge fan of the taste of pods overall. But this might be a better solution. Google Eco Cup.

I think the refillable ones are a good idea too, but from what I have read refilling and then transporting is not so easy (if anyone has experience with how robust they are once refilled would be interested to hear)as I only have at work and the refilling aspect would all have to be done at home.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12