12345 ...

thread: Kitchen Aid Appreciation Society

Dec 2006
    In my own private paradise

ok, that post reminded me - i need a failsafe pasta recipe
    and a pizza dough one would be awesome too!

pleeeeeeeeeease!

Feb 2006
    Newcastle, NSW

BG - This is our pizza dough recipe. We have been using this recipe for almost 10 years.

Lisa's Family Pizza Dough

Step 1
    1 cups warm water
    1 packet (7g) dry yeast
    2 tablespoons sugar

Step 2
    1 teaspoons salt
    2 tablespoons olive oil

Step 3
    4 cups plain flour

Step 1
    Pour the warm water in a large mixing bowl.
    Add the sugar and yeast.
    Stir the mixture until dissolved.
    Let the mixture sit for about 10 minutes to let the yeast mature (it will go a sludgy colour and have some bubbles)

Step 2
    Add the salt and then the olive oil. Stir again to combine the ingredients.

Step 3
    (We did this step in the KA)
    Add in flour 1 cup at a time. By the 3rd or so cup the dough mix should be fairly thick.

Add the last cup and flour and, with your hands, begin to combine and knead the dough.

You may need to add a dusting of flour from time to time to reduce the stickiness of the dough.
    When making pizza dough you’re going to have to knead the dough for between 5-8 minutes on the benchtop.
    You'll know the dough is ready when the ball no longer sticks to your hands.
    It will become a smooth, slightly bigger than a grapefruit.

Coat the dough ball with a thin layer of olive oil, and place it in the bottom of a large mixing bowl which has also been coated on the inside with olive oil.

Cover with foil and set it in a warm place. I usually place it on top of the stove (turned off) and let it get the heat from the oven that is heating to cook the pizza. It takes about an hour or so to rise, sometimes longer depending on how hot or cold it is. It will be ready when it’s twice the size you started with.

When it is ready, take the dough and roll it out into the sizes you want.
    You can add Italian herbs to the mix, or garlic. You can make the base a little bigger than your trays and cut some thin fingers of mozzarella to lay around the edge, then fold over the extra dough and you have yourself a stuffed crust pizza.

BellyBelly Member

Mar 2006

I wanna join in too! I don't have one but since the holiday we planned for my 30th has been abandoned (starting new job), I plan to hit DH up for a KA!!!! So, tell me what I can make with one? What do I "need"? Where do I get it all? How much monday should I hit DH up for?

BellyBelly Life Subscriber

Oct 2003
    Forestville NSW

MG- Peter's of Kensington is the cheapest in Oz, but you know David Jones price matches?

As I have most of the attachments, I'll say the ones that live in the kitchen and the ones that live in the shed. Inside I have the mincer and the rotor slicer shredder. I also have the "new" pasta press attachment inside.... outside I have the pasta rollers, ice cream, mill... ( I haven't paid for them, they are for work).

For my pasta it depends on what attachment I use, the pasta press needs to use a drier dough and the rollers need to use oil. Basically, its plain flour, egg and olive oil for the rollers. I start with the flour and egg and add olive oil until it is the right consistency.

I have the empire Red K5 (the semi commercial model) that I bought myself, but then for work I have an almond KSM150 (or the normal style stand mixer).

2013 BellyBelly RAK Recipient.

May 2007
    Brisbane

Ooooooooooooooooo Christy, tell me about the new pasta attachment. It seems really idiot proof, which might be right up my alley! The rollers scare me... I get the impression that they require a certain degree of pasta making skill? LOL!

Dec 2007
    Sunny Qld

Just crashing the thread to ask one question - how does the KA compare to a Thermomix?

Cos thats what I've got my eye on, even though they are more expensive, but they come with all attachments and do everything it seems? Just want to know if its worth the extra money

BellyBelly Member

Jan 2010

Oooh... I have a $200 voucher to spend at David Jones, didn't realise they stock KA! Their 'Price Promise' only applies to items in stock in a store in the same city. Peter's of Kensington sells them for $632... but I'm in Melbourne. Anyone know the cheapest place to buy a KA in Melbourne so I can get DJ's to price match and spend my voucher???

ETA DJ's price (on the website) is $795!!

BellyBelly Member

Oct 2006
    Sydney NSW

I have found our local DJs doesn't really stock much KA and they are very very exxy when they do. DH found Kitchenware direct cheaper than even Peter's of K.

Dec 2006

yeah when i was looking Kitchenware were mostly cheaper - and what they weren't cheaper with, they would price match. POK have delivery charges, while KD don't.

by price matching and taking into account the free postage i saved a heap on the KA and accessories through KD. and the service was pretty good too

Oct 2003
    Forestville NSW

I think the main reason that I shy away from kitchenware direct is that if anything happens, you have to pay for the postage to WA and then the postage to NSW..... it seems a bit much for bigger items.

The pasta press is awesome. However, a lot of people don't like it. Personally, I like it because if you find your groove, its the easiest thing to use. My DD1 who is 6 can make a batch of pasta in 15 minutes and that means its quicker than taking her to the shops to get pasta if we are out. I love the spaghetti and the rigatoni.

The pasta press is dear, but I love it and would buy it if I didn't get mine for free. I prefer it to the rollers, but a lot of foodies would think I was freak.

Dec 2006

nah, i checked with KD, i think they had some issues with people saying the same so they said they'd arrange it direct to NSW

BellyBelly Member

Oct 2007
    Ever so slowly going crazy...

Just crashing the thread to ask one question - how does the KA compare to a Thermomix?

Cos thats what I've got my eye on, even though they are more expensive, but they come with all attachments and do everything it seems? Just want to know if its worth the extra money
    I wanted a Thermomix too!!!!!
    Me and Ad watch them on youtube, and are in love!!!!
    I love how it chills and heats.
    Were renting out downstairs for a few days over the CMF, so will have money up our sleeve to put towards someting, but I cant pick!!!

Can I get a Thermomix in purple though??????

Jun 2009
    Sydney, NSW

Pretty Butterfly, you sound like me. If it comes in purple I'm Sold!
    Decisions! Decisions! Wonder which one you'll choose???

BellyBelly Member

Oct 2007
    Ever so slowly going crazy...

Whichever one Adam says I can afford... so prob the KA......

BellyBelly Member
    Add Party-of-five on Facebook

Sep 2008
    bunbury WA

its been a big day for us I used my KA for the first time to make a yum dip and I ordered the attachment pack with the mincer/slicer

Jun 2009
    Sydney, NSW

Yummo! Po5! Way to go!
    Where did you order the attachments from?

BellyBelly Member
    Add Party-of-five on Facebook

Sep 2008
    bunbury WA

amazon dot com

Jun 2009
    Sydney, NSW

FYI POK (Peters of Kensington) have the KAs for $619.00.

12345 ...