Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Kitchen gadgets

The usual...jug, toaster, microwave. These are used daily, the toaster less so.
    Love the jaffle maker in winter!
    We use the stick blender/food processor several times a week - to make quick ice cream, ice blocks, pur?e apples for sauce, or fruit and veg to hide in food, mash potatoes.
    DH wanted a popcorn maker, but have always used a dish in the microwave (not pre-packed bags) as there's no oil and no clean up.
    The juicer used to get used all the time (til my teeth started to go orange) so now its a rarity.
    The blender is used frequently in summer for smoothies.
    Our bread maker gets used weekly.
    Slow cooker SHOULD be used more often...
    Coffee pod machine - a couple of times a week. We also have a milk frother that's rarely used.
    A Yonanas machine we use frequently in summer, fortnightly or so atm.

So, a lot of stuff!

I'm not a hoarder. If I don't use it - it finds a new home.
    Thermie - lots
    KA - I still use mine a fair bit. The temp and humidity (or lack thereof) makes it better at some things.
    George Foreman - every time I think I'll get rid of it, we have something for dinner that I use it for. Probably every six months
    Milkshake maker - easier for the kids to manage every couple of weeks
    Sandwich press and Jaffle iron (2 separate) - every week at least. Cheese toasties are one thing DS will actually eat.
    Waffle Iron - every couple of weeks
    Slow cooker - a lot
    Coffee machine - daily
    kettle and toaster - daily
    Stick blender with attachments - I still use this to make DD1s smoothies in the mornings. She doesn't have enough volume to warrant making one in the thermie, and besides, he's usually cooking my brekkie
    Electric wok - never - it's on it's way somewhere else
    Electric frypan - every month or so when I want to do a large batch of fried rice or lots of eggs at once.
    Cake pop machine - never - it's on it's way to our local Buy swap sell page too.

We have the usual suspects, but the gadget that gets the most use in the kitchen is the husband. He is awesome, and it only requires a small tanty these days to get the whole day's or more worth of food made. The best investment Ive made so far

I have a heap that I use ranging from daily to semi-frequently (slow cooker, food processor, bread machine, etc).

The potentially "suspect" ones are the popcorn machine, the toasted sandwich maker (jaffle-style), and the waffle machine.

The popcorn machine is great because the kids love making their own popcorn & it's much quicker and more efficient than heating up a whole stove element.
    The toasted sandwich maker is the single most used item in the entire house (LOL). We even make fruit pies in it.
    The waffle machine - gets used very infrequently (only DH knows the secret recipe) - but the waffles are always such a massive hit we can't bear to get rid of it. It lives in a cupboard in the hallway though.

I have a fairy floss machine that got used once and shoved in a cupboard never to be seen again. Other than that only a kettle and toaster which are used almost daily.
    I really want to buy a jaffle maker though

lol beansbeans - would love one of those!

I forgot about my airfryer. DH was sceptical at first, but we use it about once a week. Really like it.

I know this wasn't the intention of the thread - but I'm now wondering if I need a popcorn maker....

We have:
    Coffee pod machine - used most days
    Kettle - daily
    Toaster - at least weekly
    Slowcooker - Weekly since having DD2
    Bread maker - Once or twice a week lately
    Stick blender and attachments - a few times a week at the moment (pur?es for DD2)
    Beater (used for cake mixes ect) - weekly??
    Toasted sandwich press and jaffle maker - every few weeks
    Food processor - not often - maybe every 1-2 months?
    Ice cream maker - Not much now, but I use it maybe 1-2 weekly in summer
    Electric frypan and wok - both just banished to the garage. We never use them now we have a good oven. I'd actually forgotten we owned them. Figure we can pull them out the garage if we need them for some reason.

I think this thread has become a list of things I forgot we have we actually have a bread maker we haven't used. I need to read the instructions & give it a go.

i'm now thinking I might be better off buying a donut pan for the oven. It will take up less room.

Kim - what is an air fryer?

Things we have we use every day - kettle, espresso machine.
    Things we use every/most weeks.- toaster, microwave, slow cooker, mortar and pestle,
    Things we use once a month or less - blender, food processor (the bowl needs replacing), sandwich maker.
    Things we never use - rotisserie

Just remembered we also have:
    Mortar and pestle - rarely used
    Yoghurt maker - used every few weeks
    Rice maker - used most weeks

Nespresso - daily
    Toaster - every other day
    Kettle - daily
    Milk frother - daily (makes milk hotter than the nespresso one so we use a separate one instead)
    Electric wok - once every few weeks, more often in warmer weather
    Slow cooker - once a week in colder weather
    Hand held beaters - not a lot but I'm getting into baking more now
    Stand mixer - hand me down I just used this week for the first time!
    Food processor - wedding gift used maybe twice in 9 years! Has blender attached which we also rarely use
    Ice cream machine - used last week for the first time in years and years (engagement gift!!)
    Stick blender - once or twice a month
    Pie maker - rarely
    Sandwich press - once or twice a week

Wow that's a lot when you list it all!!
    Really want a TMX though

I have so many! My kids fave would be the yonanas machine, mine would be my kitchen aid and my slow cooker.

We cook our popcorn in a brown paper bag in the microwave. Popcorn is a huge favourite of my kids.

feeb is offline Thankful for the kindness of my 2012 RAK making me Life member

Toaster used daily
    Kettle rarely used
    microwave daily
    Coffee machine used most days (i don't drink coffee and DH doesn't have coffee at home much but I do make him hot chocs)
    Milk frother used when ever coffee machine used
    Toasted sandwich maker used a few times a week
    Sunbeam mixer rarely used
    Hand held mixer used once a month
    Electric fry pan used about 2 times in 7 years was a wedding gift
    Blender used when I make soup
    Pasta cooker waste on money used once
    Rice cooker used to be used lots till got tupperware one
    Slow cooker used a fair bit
    Juicer PITA to clean hardly used
    Milkshake maker not used in years
    Fairy floss machine never used my parents gave it to me 1 christmas hmmmm

Quote Originally Posted by Lisa View Post
    We cook our popcorn in a brown paper bag in the microwave.
    I'm so excited! I never knew you could do this, and I hate collecting one-use gadgets, and DP loves popcorn, but we both have read how terrible microwave popcorn is for you, and he is too lazy to ever do it on the stove, and loves buying the bags of popcorn from the markets (for $6 each !!) and I just googled this and it's so easy even DP would do it, and... SOOOOO excited! I'm going to give him a set of brown bags for his birthday now. Thanks for opening my eyes to this!

Kettle - daily
    Toaster - daily
    TMX - daily
    Slow cooker - fortnightly
    Rice cooker - weekly
    Pizza oven - fortnightly
    Electric skillet/frypan - when making lots of things at once or large batches
    Food processor - used for slicing
    KitchenAid - when doing lots of things, icing, egg whites or using any of the attachments
    Rocket Blender - when already cooking with TMX and realise I need to make spice blends, baking powder etc
    Panini Press - once every couple of months

Everything gets used.

With regards to thinks like donut/pie/cupcake makers I'd rather do it the old fashioned way only because EVERYONE who buys or gets these things as a gift often offers it to me when it starts collecting dust I think the novelty wears off quickly. And often those things are a pain in the butt to clean. And the amount you can make at once is small.

But I would LOVE a doughnut pan to bake doughnuts.

feeb is offline Thankful for the kindness of my 2012 RAK making me Life member

Quote Originally Posted by Pholi View Post
    I'm so excited! I never knew you could do this, and I hate collecting one-use gadgets, and DP loves popcorn, but we both have read how terrible microwave popcorn is for you, and he is too lazy to ever do it on the stove, and loves buying the bags of popcorn from the markets (for $6 each !!) and I just googled this and it's so easy even DP would do it, and... SOOOOO excited! I'm going to give him a set of brown bags for his birthday now. Thanks for opening my eyes to this!
    Why is microwave popcorn bad???

Numbers, colours etc

It's sad - I had to sit here and think what's where and what we use - like beansbeans the most used gadget is the husband so he could probably better answer the question. But here's what I think we have...

Kettle/toaster/microwave/coffee machine - used pretty much dally
    Jaffle maker - used weekly
    Hand beaters - every couple of weeks - better for making sponge cakes
    Kitchen aid - goes through phases. Depends on how birthday season
    Food processor - not as much as we used to. Dh prefers the mandolin
    Blender. Not often at this time of years. Lots over summer
    Electric frypan - weekly at least
    Rice cooker - weekly at least
    George Forman grill - maybe once a month. More over summer
    Slow cooker - gets a workout at this time of year. Not so much in summer
    Stick blender - fair bit of work this time of year making soups.
    Frozen drink maker - rarely gets use. Costs more for the salt than it does to head to hungry smacks for a $1 frozen coke
    Crepe maker - was a gift. Never been used
    Electric food warmer thing mum and dad have us - still in the packaging as well.

What we miss since it died - large electric wok. Wish I had one still. Although a large stovetop one works be better!

Want to get a mortar and pestle too

We got rid of a lot of extra stuff when we moved a couple of years back....

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast