Page 3 of 25 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Thermomix Lovers United #3

Yum, so many yummy foods! I'm a bit depressed about mine, well not so much the Thermomix but about what I can make in it. Because DS2 has allergies he and I are dairy, egg, nuts and alliums free. It makes for quite a bland diet sometimes. I made rissoles tonight which usually the boys love and gobble up but without onions, garlic or egg they were boring and were pretty much left untouched. But tomorrow I'm attempting bread! I have a couple of different sized tins (thanks for your responses!), lots of seeds and am ready to go

Yum red gum! Might have to look that one up!

Today I did pancakes, veggie stock, ham and cheese scrolls, custard and pizza.

Ok well I have never done ice-cream, so what should I do first? If I can find room in my freezer. There was a salted caramel once someone mentioned a while ago... ?

Got mine yesterday, only stock, fruity dream, mashed potato and porridge so far but impressed with the mash (just very easy) and porridge is so much better than in microwave. Pizza dough and risotto think will try today. I suspect I will be one of those people who doesn't make it if it can't be made in the Thermomix :-) It is noiser than I thought ( just in the heating stirring ) but am sure will get used to it - is just because flat is small and open plan - is quieter than the kettle but I don't think will be using it while DH is trying to watch TV. Is great for my tiny kitchen though.

I don't use mine when the kids are sleeping because it will wake them up. We have discovered that if we want to do anything like nuts or cheese when the kids are asleep then we wrap a few towels around the whole thing and it stops it being so noisy lol

I've been using mine heaps lately - for the last week I've gone grain free so have been making lots of things for me and then normal stuff for the kid. Think we are using it about 5-6 times a day. Which makes me dream of having a second bowl....

The noise thing is what I see as the main negative - apart from the price! Need to get to a demo again, and then have one at my place so I can go into the kids rooms while its on and see how loud it is!

Love my second bowl!!
    Made spicy Moroccan lentil soup from EDC this week, loved it! Chorizo in it would be good.
    Making the EDC meatloaf tonight!!

ETA the noise doesn't wake my kids and their rooms are very close to kitchen!

My children would wake up if you went in their rooms and farted. Unfortunately I have been *blessed* with extremely light sleepers.

Don't rub in the second bowl or I'll fly down and bop you one Olive

It wouldn't disturb my kids but is just more it is louder than microwave and stove top cooking - so I think cooking in the evenings while DH is watching TV is out as he is partially deaf but that makes him super sensitive to certain noises and to compete with the Thermomix the TV would have to be super loud (and we have enough neighbour issues already :-)).

My kids aren't troubled by the noise, but our house is huge, their rooms are at the other end of it and it's double brick, so I don't know that they hear it too much, because I have light sleepers too. Could you take it outside to use maybe, if you wanted to cook at night when they sleep?

I have been cooking up a storm. I adore my thermie. I made the orange cake in the EDC with fresh oranges off our tree, and some chocolate fondant to ice it, OMG it was heavenly! I also made the creamy brown rice soup from Quirky Cooking blog, which was also awesome!

wysiwyg, you so need to start milling sugar or chocolate at 10pm And when the neighbours come around to complain, offer them a hot chocolate.....

If I'm making something noisy, we normally pause the TV, as it just becomes a cacophony otherwise.

MrsFabuloso - I wish I had access to fresh oranges or lemons off the tree. The amount I go through, zest and all, it would save a bundle. Also save me from pesticides. Jealous

I found a recipe for cola syrup on the NY Times website that I plan on converting to TMX.

Just in the middle of making ice cream for the kids, and I've realised I've stuffed up - not reading the recipe properly! I put in two whole eggs instead of two egg yolks.

I wonder what will happen....

Should still taste OK but might be a bit more watery? not really sure. Rouge will know.

I took mine outside the other day when the baby was asleep. Packed up all my ingredients in the washing basket and hauled it all outside. Easy! Never thought to do it at night.

I've put it back in again to get thumped, and it was slightly more watery - I googled for answers (like ya do!) and basically the texture might be a bit off and not as smooth, more crystallized. But since it gets put back in and thumped after its set for a few hours maybe it won't do that?

Have to wait and see anyway lol

Just finished making some magic bean mini muffins for the kids - smelling great! Gluten free and made with kidney beans and the kids don't have a clue haha!

I made magic bean cake yesterday Arimeh. I stuffed up the sugar a bit (I'd reduced it and then a lot of it got stuck under the blades) so it wasn't quite sweet enough but it was still a huge hit. Think it'll do for DS1's birthday next week, and mum will be chuffed as she's coeliac and will actually be able to eat the birthday cake for once!

Edit: I don't use it at night. Big kids'd be ok but baby would wake up.

The noise isn't really a big deal - I just hadn't really thought of the noise factor when not doing something like milling - e.g. just when the Varoma is on.

Made bread today for first time ever (as in ever not just first time ever in Thermomix) - from the EDC the pull apart herb bread - but I had no butter, so I used some pesto I had made earlier in it - came out great (I didn't have the right oil either - so far I don't think I have managed to stick to a recipe exactly - I don't know why I have such a problem with recipes I am very good at following instructions for other things (I am a real instruction reader) - I need more explanations as to the 'why' I think. I lack the understanding as to 'why' somethings will work and others won't and why you do things a certain way - is not a thermomix thing is the same with all recipes). Anyway also did pizza base, I mucked up following that recipe too - didn't read carefully enough or have the right oil - but they turned out pretty good.

I did fish in the Varoma with rice and vegetables and that all worked out well - once had worked out brown rice takes much longer than normal rice.

So far so good - I have never done as much cooking in 2 days before.

Girls - a little while back someone posted a link to the new EDC recipe errors... I can't find it, can whoever posted it repost please? Was it you Arimeh?

Page 3 of 25 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast