Thread: Dairy free recipes

Default Dairy free recipes

DD and I are both dairy free at the moment. I am at a bit of a loss as to what we can both eat especially for snacks and lunch, but any recipes would be great. DD is a cheese junkie and also loves her yogurt. So I don't knwo what to give her for snacks as that's usually what I give her. Or otherwise it's a muffin/slice with milk/dairy in it. I'm also a bit worried about her intake of calcium since she won't be having much through soy milk alone. What can we eat???

lilias hope u get the results you want for your DD with the dairy free.

It's tough at first, but gets easier as you get used to it.

As far as the calcium is concerned, one of the most calcium rich foods (I think it is THE, but for the sake of argument I won't claim that!!) is unhulled tahini ... that is ground sesame seed paste. Make sure you get the UNHULLED tahini, it is higher in calcium. DON'T use it as is though ... use it as an ingredient .. it's pretty curious by itself

One of the easiest ways to use it is in home made hommus ...

tin of chick peas
    2 cloves of garlic
    pinch of salt
    100mls lemon juice
    3 tablespoons of olive oil
    1/4 cup tahini paste

wiz it all up in the blender & use on rice cakes, as a sandwich spread, on bikkies as a dip etc etc

I add tablespoon of ground cumin, pinch of cayenne pepper & sometimes a chopped tomato as well for a slightly different flavour. Might make it too spicy for your little one though.

You can also use the tahini in other sauces and spreads if you want the calcium from it. If you'd like some other recipes let me know & I'd be happy to email them.

You will find avocado makes a great substitute spread in sandwiches for lunches. Unfortunately soy cheeses pretty much suck! Having said that if you like cream cheese Tofutti make a product called 'better than cream cheese' which is awesome & is great on sandwiches or rice cakes.

For snacks, its the perfect time of year for fruit. I find having a big bowl of pre cut watermelon, rockmelon, strawberries, pineapple, etc in the fridge makes an easy snack. Finger food pre cut veggies to have with dips or spreads also make a great snack.

HTH to start with .. I've been dairy free for a couple of years now, so if you have any other queries let me know & I'll be more than happy to try to help.

I agree, check out that thread.

Also, alot of baked goods you can still do! Just substitute cows milk for rice milk and butter for nuttlex. I actually like my pancakes made without dairy better.

Snacks:

sultanas
    carrot sticks
    rice crackers (plain) with hummous
    corn cakes with a smear of avocado or nuttlex and vegemite
    plain pasta
    homemade muffins