Thread: Auskick for preschoolers

Default Auskick for preschoolers

Hi there

I'm looking at booking DS1 (4yo - starting kinder on Thursday!! ) into Auskick.

Both my brothers did Auskick (well, Vickick back then) but I think they started later - around grade 1, which is the age my sister and I started netball.

Has anyone else started their kids at the minimum age?

How have they gone?

DS1 isn't super at staying still but LOVES group activities, and being active -- so I think this will be good for him. I'd love to hear others' experiences, pros and cons.

feeb is offline Thankful for the kindness of my 2012 RAK making me Life member

Default Re: Auskick for preschoolers

Both my boys did it last year, had to lie online re DD2 DOB as ment to turn 5 during that year!
    Auskick local people told me to lie and had no issue with it!!!

Both my boys loved it and can't wait to do it all again!!! They will never be AFL players but had fun and learnt a few skills!

I think they have to be school age but there is a soccer program for preschoolers. It's called Soccer time kids, They run one in Croydon.

Thanks for asking this question! DS1 is also 4 and I thought they had to be 6 to start... We're now looking into getting him started this year.

I think 4 is fine to get started. They don't really play a game, they just have a run around and do different activities. I don't think anyone expects them to be able to concentrate for long periods of time. It's just an introduction to footy.

My husband is a footy coach so our son has been in training since the day he could walk. Lol

I can't rate it highly enough in terms of teaching fundamental movement skills and ball handling skills. Your kids don't even have to play with the view to eventually play competition AFL - many kids do Auskick and then move onto other ball sports. Absolutely you should do it with the kids.

Quote Originally Posted by Tinks View Post
    I think they have to be school age but there is a soccer program for preschoolers. It's called Soccer time kids, They run one in Croydon.
    According to the FAQ "children must turn 5 in the calendar year to participate" so that's us - DS1 will be 5 in May

We looked into the local soccer programs, but they're so bally expensive. The ones around here are mostly about $18 per week (plus uniforms) for a 30-45 minutes session -- compared to Auskick which is about $30-70 for the whole season of 60-90 minute sessions.

We're looking forward to it, and I'm trying to get in the spirit of AFL ... ! I should probably learn the rules, etc ... not sure how I've managed to get through 33 years in Melbourne without having done so yet (though I did play in the grid game one AFL final! And I've gone to the footy 3 times! woot!)

For us Auskick is $10 for the season, Junior AFL (8-12) is 60. We don't have enough to play an Auskick game every weekend though & kids are usually on the field with the juniors from about 6 to make up the numbers.
    They all get the same amount at training. Do a few drills together, then break up into the 2 groups & do separate drills.

DD even joined in last season for fun at 3. She loves it. Netta (Net Set Go) is a little more strict here though. She was allowed to go to AASC & do all the fun drills, but no games.

Either way both she & DS have been involved in sports from around 4 & they really enjoy it. We've got great people coaching here too, which makes it all what it is. DD1 is showing some talent in netball & plans to continue through high school & I was told that at all of 4 DS was already showing some talent I don't know if they'll go far, but the life skills they're all picking up along the way are well worth it.

Thanks for setting me straight, peanutter.

Quote Originally Posted by Tinks View Post
    Thanks for setting me straight, peanutter.
    Here all week. Try the veal.

Did your kids do one of the soccer ones? The look like fun, but oh so pricey ...!

We're looking at Miniroos this year ... still not 1005% decided, though.

DS1 didn't seem to give Auskick much chop.