Thread: Belly dancing - is it easy to learn?

Default Belly dancing - is it easy to learn?

hi all, im starting belly dancing classes tomorrow night, am rather excited as have always wanted to learn.

Doing it at my community centre, 10 lessons for 50 bucks (great value).

Has anybody learnt it or a belly dancer?

Can u lose weight? and if so, around the belly area???

Thanks
    Caz

kirsty_lee Guest

Hey caz, Belly dancing is wonderful! I did it for ages, but had to give up when I moved. It is the best feeling in the world, it teaches women of all shapes and sizes to love their bodies. IT was so amazing to see some quite large ladies ( I was quite tiny at the time.. not huge now but got a little bit of baby weight.. anyway I digress) and they were in pretty much bras and skirts (obviously with things hanging off them .. beautiful) and they didn't have a care in the world. To them and everybody else they were stunning. I highly recommend it. And yeah you can lose weight. It's not REALLY hard to learn. Like all dance there is techniques and stuff that will take you a while to learn. Especially if your the sort of person who doesnt know how to use their hips kwim. Congrats on starting you will love it!

Don't know if you are planning on having any more kids but belling dancing is very good preparation for giving birth. Strengthens all the right muscles apparently. I saw an interview with a belly dancer recently & she claimed that it gives you an easier birth. Don't know if there's any truth to it, but had I known that I reckon I would've signed up quick smart for classes.

kirsty_lee Guest

Yeah I have been told that too Satya. It really helps with your pelvic floor muslces. That's why I think mine have always been so good because of that and Yoga. The best thing is about belly dancing once you start you find yourself doing it all the time! DP still laughs at me the minute I hear a drum beat I do it automatically. If you are keen Caz, see if you can get drumming lessons. Tablah (can't remember the spelling) are really fun to play!

My sister has been belly dancing for a couple of years, and when she was pregnant she could feel bub moving from quite early on, she always put it down to the bellydancing!!

I did belly dancing for a few years and loved it! Is it easy? Well to be honest it doesn't really matter if it is easy, it's lots of fun and you learn at a pretty easy pace so you pick it all up. I found some moves do take awhile to get the hang of but it is all good, you are all learning together and you'll find you pick some moves straight away and others will take a bit of time.

i love belly dancing. i am excellent at it. I must admit that i can rival any bellydancer anywhere anytime. Because of my mediterranean background i was born with it
    I can do it for hours on end non-stop. It is awesome.

i have the finger symbols, scarf with threaded coins to make the noise when you shake your booty.

I'm looking for advanced classes if any of you girls know of one.

You will have fun and lose weight, because you will move your bum, hips, thighs and belly.