Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Diet of a differant kind - Do help.

Post Diet of a differant kind - Do help.

Dear BB ladies,

This thread is quite different to other threads on this section. Instead of losing weight, I am hoping to gain . Here is some background information:
    Current weight: 58kg
    Height: 164cm
    Ideal weight: 65kg.

Like my dietitian, you guys must think I am crazy. Lol. I am posting here in order to get some help on the quickest way to gain weight. At the moment I am taking sustagen when I do not snack. My schedule which consists of: looking after DD, cleaning the house and cooking every single day and making time to study or complete assignments, causes me to skip properly snacking or not finishing my meal properly. I do not exercise and burn so much energy from stressing or running around keeping up with everything. I do not have close family around to help. I am now on my break and was hoping to at least gain 2 kgs more. Any ideas from anyone would be great. My university workload will be part-time because next semester will be my last so I will be feeling a little bit more relaxed. I am getting so sick and tired of hearing: 'You haven't changed. You still look skinny', 'You had a baby? But you are too skinny', etc etc. It annoys me. My close family live in another state. Whenever I speak to my mother, first question she asks 'Have you gained?'. The last time she saw me I weighed 49kgs. Like any other mother, you can understand her concern. She wasn't there throughout my pregnancy when I went up to 67kgs. I will be moving down to their state in early December. So I am determined not to hear comments like I have previously received. Somebody help. Any nice, fattening meals?

Positive comments please.

Thanks Mods!
    Last edited by Girl-23; July 16th, 2009 at 12:54 AM.

a friend of mine had to make sure she used real butter, cream on cereal or coffee and teas..
    she to was also very low weight and was eating constantly to try and maintain her weight(esp as she was bfing)
    my daughter was put on LSA mix to help get the good fats... as well as a high fat diet

I'm overweight and I can say for sure: If you want to put on more weight, eat take away food. Chinese, KFC, Maccas, HJs. Full cream milk I've been told is good for "growth". Protein shakes as well. Is or could there be a medical reason you cant put on weight or is it high met? My friend cant put on weight because of her kidneys, she did explain but it went over my head. Maybe get checked out?

I wouldn't go crazy on junk food and take away, as that will be loaded with bad fats and salt and who knows what else??! Sure you will put on weight, but you wont be very 'healthy'.

I'd be eating big pastas for dinner, real butter, full fat milk, home made cakes and biscuits... Find high calorie & high carb foods that are as natural as possible.

Good luck.

My daughter is on a weigh gain diet - she takes special food supplements which they also give to adults & the elderly etc to help with this.

Look up nutricia, and follow the links to the homeward hens program. That's the kids one, there is also another program for adults there. On the left should be the name of the different products and their details. Some are liquid you add to food, others powder. There is also a powdered drink that my daughter is on - paediasure. I'm sure it is fine for adults to take. 200cal for 200ml. The tins are around $30 each, but i might have some cheap (like 6 for $40) as my DD seems to like the one made by nutricia (nutrini drink) more.

Tell your mum to ping ding. Shove a BMI thing under her nose, and show her that you are the "ideal" weight for you height (even though I have major issues with the BMI, but that's coz I'm majorly overweight, and it reckons for me at 165cm I should weight 58kg, and can't really ever see THAT happening!)

you have been given some great suggestions from the ladies...

could you try and have a protien drink that you are constantly sipping from?

paradise lost Guest

I'm going to sound bonkers and suggest....exercise!

No, i'm not mad (well i am, but that's not why i said that! ) Could you look into relaxation yoga? My friend had lost a lot of weight following a thyroid problem (i assume you've had your thyroid levls checked) and she had about 10kg to gain to get back into a normal BMI (normal being 20, not 18.5 which is apparently "minimum" to some docs now). She ate more and tried the shakes and drinks and such, but it was slow progress. Then on the advice of a personal trainer she knows she took up yoga. Not sure what it's called (someone will know on here) but it's not the strenuous kind, it's for relaxation and flexibility. Within only about a month she had began to gain faster. Her yoga instrutor said that the combination of a more relaxed system and an improvedigestive system (yoga is great for that) meant she was able to "do more with her food". She is loving it and maintaining a healthy weight and a relaxed attitude now over 2 years on

Bx

Post Thank you for your replies ladies!

Doudou-

How old is your daughter?

Reborn-

I am drink Sustagen at least once a day. I don't have a medical reason for not gaining weight. I am able to gain weight. I gained 1.5kgs in a period of two weeks. Eating takeaways is not an option. Firstly because the meat products or chicken is not halal. Aside from that, I can't stand takeaway places like McDonald's. Although, I do have a Fillet-O-Fish meal every month.

Yael-

I do not remember the exact name of a particular protein drink that I have tried, it tasted like Canola oil and is too thick. So far I have managed to gain without drinking 'Nutricia and others. So far, Sustagen is great for me to have if I am not in the mood to snack or feel too full.

Alipralli-

Lol. That is not going to happen.

kelebek-

I am drinking Sustagen at least once a day.

Paradise lost-

I do find when I am more relaxed I eat more and gain quicker. However, I do not get to relax that often apart from this week and next week. Normally, I run around making sure everything is done in the house, food prepared, baby well taken care of, do the washing - the point is everyday I am doing something. The only time I can relax is when DD is in bed for bedtime. I find the more I am doing something, for example, what I have mentioned above, I stress and burn off energy. So whatever food I have had is burned off or I skip a snack or meal because of my busy schedule. Of course, I am doing it tough because I don't have anyone to help me. DH never offers to do anything so I never ask. Almost 2 months ago, when I spoke to my GP about my weight issues so referred me to a Dietitian. At first my Dietitian thought I was mad. She told me I look healthy and have a perfect body. During the first appointment with my GP, she never asked or suggested I should have my thyroid levels checked. Monday morning I will be making an appointment. And I will be looking into yoga classes or something.

paradise lost Guest

DH never offers to do anything so I never ask.
    Ask. Honey you are a TEAM. If he is anything lke my DH he doesn't see what needs doing and he doesn't want to interfere so he stays out of the way. Once asked/showen what to d my DH is a powerhouse of help! Maybe there is something he could do while you do bedtime, or HE could do bedtime while you chill out a bit. I do think my friend found that yoga helped not only during the classes but at other times too - she generally felt less stressed - she still had to do everything she'd done before and she still got it all done, but that manic rushing-about-madly feeling was gone, she was methodical, calm and productive.

Best of luck with it all

Bx

Having had an eating disorder I could give you a huge lot of advice, but (and I know you said a few things already) but lets dig deeper
    medically/physically you are a great weight. What is the reason for wanting to be bigger? So people will believe you are a mum? So you don't get the 'skinny' comments anymore? What impact does your weight actually have on your daughter and on your mothering abililty? The judgements imposed by others about your weight (ANY judgement based on weight, for that matter) and who you are as a person are shallow. Not only that, but a lot of judgement based on weight is a projection of their weight own issues and ideals. What are your weight ideals? What would being larger mean to YOU?

Your ideal weight range is 54-67kg, it sounds like a maintenance 'diet' is what you need really. I can give you some links, but first I'm interested to know WHY you're doing this.

pasta, or home-made mashed potatoes with skins on, real butter.

some of the king island dairy products their belgian chocolate dessert and their yoghurt... mmm king island dairy...

breads are good too. they have lots of kilojoules without really having bad fats or anything terribly bad for you.

one of my old favourites and probably how i got so big -- cheesy pasta sprinkle a little of that pre-made italian herbs & spice mix on it. yummy.

snack on steamed veges while you're feeding your dd too, one bite for her, one for you...

milo works well too. its got extra kilojouley goodness in there, like sustagen, but imho doesnt taste as bad.

good luck with it if i could give you a few kg, i would!

Quote Originally Posted by ~Leasha~ View Post
    medically/physically you are a great weight. What is the reason for wanting to be bigger? So people will believe you are a mum? So you don't get the 'skinny' comments anymore? What impact does your weight actually have on your daughter and on your mothering abililty? The judgements imposed by others about your weight (ANY judgement based on weight, for that matter) and who you are as a person are shallow. Not only that, but a lot of judgement based on weight is a projection of their weight own issues and ideals. What are your weight ideals? What would being larger mean to YOU?

Your ideal weight range is 54-67kg, it sounds like a maintenance 'diet' is what you need really. I can give you some links, but first I'm interested to know WHY you're doing this.
    Medically I am 'okay' in terms of my weight. I want to be a bit more bigger because I want people to stop making skinny comments. Skinny comments are beginning to make me feel and think I am skinny. The skinny remarks are making me want to stay indoors. Staying indoors makes me feel comfortable and I know I will not be judged or hear any further comments regarding my weight. When we do go out, I have to ask my DH 10 times whether I look skinny or not. Of course, I want to look like a mother and not a slim 22 year old girl with a baby.

The judgements imposed by others about your weight (ANY judgement based on weight, for that matter) and who you are as a person are shallow.
    I understand that. But I am not interested in changing their shallow behaviour or characteristics but rather make them stop from making such comments and the only way I can do that is to gain weight and shut them up. Also, gaining weight for me means I can be more comfortable in my body when I am out and less worried about who will say what.

i don't have a lot of time, kids are calling.

But i just wanted to say that no matter what weight you are you will always get comments. People for reasons unbeknown to me feel the need to comment on peoples weight. You will never be able to stop judgmental comments no matter how much you change, the comments will then be about something else.

As long as you have a healthy diet and look after yourself that is all that matters.

It's more about being happy with your own body, whether it be skinny, curvy or something else! Like you say you will never change peoples behavior, the only thing you can change is how you deal with their behavior.

I bet you are a wonderful mother doing the best you can for your little one.

Healthy ways to add a bit of extra calories to your food without making it unhealthy include things like:
    Add skim milk powder to your drinks (smoothies & normal drinks), mashed potatoes, soups, etc. It contains a lot of protein but not much fat which is good for lean weight gain.
    Dress your meal with a splash of olive oil or add light grated cheese
    Make salad dressings from oil/vinegar instead of using bottled stuff
    Add extra oils from veggie sources - like an extra layer of avocado on your sandwich, olives in your salad, etc
    Try to have some protein with your breakfast, that might mean a poached egg or small can of tuna with your toast, or add some yoghurt to your cereal, etc

You'll always get the comments. I am BMI 24, and get comments "you know you can lose the baby weight by..... xyz..." :-\ once you become a mother it seems to draw every person out and onto their soapbox.

Whta happens when you get comments once your weight goes up?

I'm not tring to talk you out of it, just wanting to make you think a little more. I can relate to your thinking, wanting to stop judegement, wanting to be just a little bit more of what you think you are not. Wanting to change physically because you think it'll change how you FEEL. Hey, sometimes it can, some people who have plastic surgery say they feel more confident. But a lot of people who change how they look realise it makes no difference to they way they feel.

Leasha,

The link please?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast