Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Duromine - anyone used Duromine tablets to lose weight?

Post Duromine - anyone used Duromine tablets to lose weight?

Hi People
    I was just wandering if anyone has used the DUROMINE 40g weightlose tablets
    I went to the doctor yesterday as i have gained 45kgs since DD was born in 2000 infact When DS was born july 2007 i was 85 and im now 105kg and as i have been dieting exercising i have not been able to lose any weight actually i gained 10kgs since i started walking on da treadmill for 10km a day n then da bike for 40km a day so anyway as my BP was at 105 and it should be about 70 my doc wants to get the weight of me fast to see if that does anything fvor my BP and if it deosnt he wants to run a heap of tests.. also i want to lose weight and as i have tried the shakes n different diets and exercise i thought thins mite help me start my weightlose journey

So i was just wanting to hear form other poepl that have taken the tablets and how they found them ? did they work? wat side effects did you suffer?

Sarah

I used them back in 2001 when i had to loose a few kilos before being accepted in the police. I used them for about 8 weeks and TBH...glad when i stopped. I could never sleep (truckies take them to keep awake...and that bit hit me hard), i lost all appetite...couldnt eat much at all...i know thats the job of them..but i mean no food....couldnt stomach anything. I lost 5 kg in that time,

I personally would not reccomend them what so ever.

Fast weight loss is not healthy...so keep that in mind.

My ex used Xenacal (sp?) and had great results...maybe that would be ok for you?

sarah - i've not personally used them,but speaking as the wife of a truckie and daughter of a taxi driver that have both used them in the past (my dad long term). in all honesty, i wouldn't recommend them - DH has admitted that the basis of them is a type of legal speed - they're not really healthy, don't necessarily work the way they should, and can have some nasty side effects as kim outlined. i know it can be really frustrating when you just want the weight gone, but i know from hearing my dad whinge that there are very few doctors who will prescribe them because there are far too many side effects

my understanding is that they speed your heart rate so i don't think it would be recommended to do anything that messes with your heart if you already have bp issues..

I think they should be banned! Not only are they addictive and dangerous but the weight I lost on them doubled when I went off them (as in regained). If you prefer a medicinal approach to weightloss you are better at looking into xenical or something similar.

thanks guys for ur input i mite have a look at XENICAL instead.... i did a bit of research last night on the net and wat you guys are saying is wat everyone else has said soooo im kinda thinking i wont take them
    Once again thanks
    sarah

duromine = speed. Its the same thing.

Cheaper to go and get yourself a bag of powder! (not that i agree with that, its just ridiculous that this product is on the market)

Hi Sarah-

While i was at school i was quite overweight and nothing i did seemed to help drop the weight- i was slogging it out at the gym 5 days a week and barely eating and still nothing... My Gp put me on the Duro's and although they kept me awake after the first month i had lost about 8.5 kg... he decided to give me a second course which by then i was i guess you could say addicted and they no longer kept me awake. the second month i lost about 12 kg so total of about 20 kg in 2 months.

As the duro's had decreased my apatite i was only a piece of fruit at lunch and a small dinner but the weight stayed off with excercice and diet after i stopped the pills. .At 20 i fell preg with my DS and as i still wasnt eating much i was passing out so needed to up my intake of food- resulting in a 26 kg weight gain... lost 8 kg after ds was born and for 3 yrs now have struggled to drop the weight again...

As mentioned they are speed, they do keep you awake, make you a bit perky- also i experiences the shakes after comming off them (first few days) and bad headaches.

There is another type of medication your GP can perscribe but what they do is if you eat bad food it results in a run to the loo- they kinda teach you to eat better and if you dont your punished with a bad case of gastro... I would suggest like the others ask your GP for an alternative.

Hi Sarah,

Yes, as many of the other girls have said, the active ingredient in Duromine is Amphetamine (in other words, a type of speed). I have not taken them myself and my GP wouldn't allow it as I already have a condition that puts stress on my heart and Duromine would only cause more stress to my heart. I couldn't imagine it would do any favours to your current blood pressure problems in the short term either.

When I was 23 I had been living out of home on my own for a while and totally blew up to 106 kilo's. I took Xenical (used to be prescription, but now you can get it over the counter) and combined it with healthy eating and exercise and lost 30 kilo's. I was averaging a loss of about 1.3 kilo's every week. Xenical works by stopping your pancreas producing the enzyme that breaks down the fat in your food. If your body doesn't break it down then it cannot absorb it. The only down side is if you were to have a really fatty meal like Pizza or something then you will get the runs and it will practically be just bright orange oil comming out (sorry, TMI)

As the last 8 years have passed and since having a baby I need to lose at least 20 kilo's again. I'd certainly try xenical except for the fact that it could affect the uptake of another medication I am on.

Best of luck!

Enchanted Guest

Question Duromine- Your experience

Hello

I am wanting to know who has been on Duromine and had a positive experience with it. I ideally would like to lose 20kgs and am having trouble doing it. My Dr has given me a prescription for it and I nearly fell over when I heard the price of them. However, if it gets my little guy a healthier Mummy and I am feeling better about myself and feeling healthier then I guess it will be money worth spent.

I am wanting to know how much weight you lost, how you dealt with side effects etc.

Please do not post your bad experiences with Duromine here. I have done a lot of research into this and am not going into this blind. I have read many bad stories about it but also many good ones.

TIA

I was on it for around a month (ok not long but due to side effects i stopped for my own health) and lost 7kg. It felt good getting that weight off, but i was watching my health slide at the same time. Through research you would have found the effects but not everyone gets them, so what works for you,might not work for others.

If i had to choose a weight loss pill, i would choose Xenical over Duromine.

All the best with your weight loss

I lost loads of weight on Duromine... I lost around 30kgs in 3 months.
    Unfortunately for me, as soon as I stopped I put the weight straight back on (and then some )
    If you're definitely going to be taking them... the only advice I can give you is to take your first one reeeeeeeeeally early in the morning or you could have difficulties sleeping. And make sure you still eat!
    All the best

Hi, I agree with Lisa, these tablets work well whist taking them lost about 25kilos in a couple of months, but as soon as you stop,you slowly start to put the kilos back on,you need to look at life style and food habits,I really enjoyed doing weight watchers,and it benefited my whole family, there`s no such thing as a magic weight loss pill!

Enchanted Guest

The weight you put back on was because you kept eating the same as before right?

I am wanting to take these to put an end to my snacking and change my way of eating. I do not believe these are a "magic weight loss pill" as you put it MOM. I believe they are a tool I can use to lose weight and change my eating habits.

For me it was cos i went back to eating rubbish again...and cos my body craved food! I think thats one of the reason i never liked the pill, it done its job, but then once off it my body rejected 'me' and felt it couldnt be starved of bad foods again..LOL

I agree with the others that if you go back to your old habits you will put the weight back on, but it sounds like you are doing it to change your lifestyle - and just need help to budge those pounds, so duromine will take the weight off, but just make sure you continue to be good after you stop taking them and you'll be fine....

I agree take them first thing in the morning or you won't sleep that night, and to keep costs down you could try taking one every second day, they should supress your appitite for two days....

Good luck

I put the weight back on because I was absolutely ravenous... I used to cry with how hungry I was straight after eating... I would eat fruit, vegies and meat with the occasional carbs and the weight just gathered and gathered and gathered and then I started to introduce more carbs (to try to keep me full) and before I knew it the weight I lost was back and I was bigger than before I started. I also stopped exercising because I went from exercising twice a day (walking 5kms twice) to being exhausted... for 3 months, my body was living on minimal food and sleep... once I stopped by body needed what it had been missing out on
    I know you want to know positives but TBH, there really aren't too many positives to anything that is a quick fix

I took it for a few months and lost some of the weight I needed to, then had to stop as I couldnt afford them, ended up putting on 7kg in 6 months then fell preg again. I only put the weight back on as I stopped walking coz it was winter and continuously raining!

I will be going back on it when I am not breastfeeding anymore.

If you change your eating habits while on it and stick to it when you stop then you shouldnt put any weight back on.

I lost a load of weight when i was younger on Duromine (maybe 10kg - but then wasnt really that heavy and probably should not have been prescribed it)
    I again when back on it when i tried to loose weight for my wedding and failed, this time i did it more sensibly and lost the weight slower and concentrated on changing my habits too (it can be a vicious cyscle, of going off and on again)

This is a fantastic drug for rapid weight loss, but you have to be very careful that it does not all go back on and you dont get additcted.

My tips... (from personal experience and also nursing)
    * like Lisa says, take it really early in the morning - like set and alarm for early and take it.
    * Eat breakfast before or with the tablet - you must have breakfast otherwise you will not feel like it later.
    * Make yourself eat small meals through the day - you will not feel like it at all, but you really should for your health.
    * be honest with your family and friends about taking it... it is a speed derivative and some of the side effects are not pleasant (not going there as you asked) and it is better for people around you to understand why you have changed.
    * try and stick on the same dose for longer than you want to... you body will get use to it and then you will find that the eating old habits come back or the drug is not as effective, work through this instead of jumping to get the higher dose straight away - make sure you start on the lowest dose, i think it s 15mg from memeory.
    * try and avoid taking sleepng tablets to help you sleep - the insomnia will settle down as you body gets use to the 'speedy' feeling....
    * when you reach the 20kg - STOP, it is so tempting to stay on them and loose a bit more, but try and resist that feeling...

If you dont eat much at all, you will force your body into starvation mode, that will slow you metabolism... this will mean that the weight goes back quicker when you stop taking it (regardless of your food choices). Make sure that you eat something every 4-5 hours - you really wont feel like it, but in the long run it is better to force even an apple or a box of saltanas in.

Be careful with the water... the first week or so you will be increadibly thirst, make sure that you dont drink too much as you will unbalance your electrolytes and make yourself very unwell.

The honesty thing is important as you will seem like Supermum - all the jobs will be done, your house will sparkle and there will still be time to sit (but you probably wont feel like it to begin with, sitting that is) - when you stop taking them this also will change as you will have less energy.

Oh and when you stop taking them, do so slowly - gradually reduce the dose (if you get to the 45mg tablets go back to the 30's then the 15's) and then take one every second day, this way you are less likely to put weight back on, as you will be mindful of what you are eating.

I hope this hasnt been too negative, i didnt write with that aim, more just tips... Duromine does work and i am sure that you will lose the weight that you want

feel free to PM me if you want any other info (positive or negative)

Goodluck

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast