Thread: Fat, Sick and Nearly Dead --Juice Fast Anyone Done It?

Default Fat, Sick and Nearly Dead --Juice Fast Anyone Done It?

Hubby wants to give it a go... I am keen to incorporate more fresh fruit and veg into our diets. Also weight loss for both of us would be beneficial. Anyone done the juice fast??

No... But when we get a Thermomix I'm going to start doing green juices, excited about that.

Just bought a $400 juicer...better start researching juice recipes. It can be used as a pasta and sausage maker as well, although that probably won't be helpful for weight loss.

Does a juicer extract the fibre? Skins etc?

yes as far as i know you put most things in skin on and the skin and fibrous material is removed.

I have the DVD. I didn't try doing it though. I'm the type of person who has to actually eat food, I can't just drink it kwim? So there may be a 'hump' day/few days where even thr thought of another liquid meal makes you gag LOL, but you will just have to persevere with it. You are only supposed to do it short term anyway as a way to kickstart things.

Be careful with juicing - you lose all the fibre and gain lots of calories. You should go for 2 vegies and 1 fruit in your juices and limit how much you are having.

Yeah as ausgirl says, the fibre is the good stuff. That's why I want to do it in the Thermomix - throw in the veggies and fruit and nothing is wasted.

There's a really great blog post on this, by Jo from Quirky Cooking. She explains how they are still healthy and not just a massive influx of fructose.

I'll see if I can find it. Edit: can't add it, but if you google Quirky Cooking, it's her most recent blog post.

Default Re: Fat, Sick and Nearly Dead --Juice Fast Anyone Done It?

I had good intentions to do one of the shortest ones but I didn't stick to it 100%. I'm like trillian and need to eat food. they do focus mainly on vegetable juices and some of them were a bit ick (there was one with radishes) but some were great and there was a raw soup that I really enjoyed.

so I guess on balance, not for me but some interesting recipes

Yeah you'd want to be careful with it - juice is just massive hits of sugar. Fruit is very high in fructose but the redeeming feature is the fibre that you get from eating the whole fruit. If you wanted to go a raw diet you are much better off just eating the fruit (and you will eat less) than just drinking the sugar that comes out of it.

never a juice.
    but my old boss use to do a soup diet once a year.it was a lot of cabbage soup (some plain some with bone broth), banana, skim milk, and something else.
    its a month long I think and worked well for him.
    he also did walks with hand weights.

My girlfriend did it not long ago. She said she felt really great, after the initial shock to her system of not having actual food and all of the sugars and processed crap she usually ate. Though she did say that sometimes after having the juices (particularly the veggie-only ones), she sometimes felt nauseous which is apparently common because your body isn't used to that huge hit of nutrients. But she had aimed to do it for 10 days and only made it to 5 before caving and having to eat more actual foods. She stayed eating fruit and veg, and juicing for another 5 days and then went to clean eating. She said it felt great to have all of the 'food' she needed in one drink.

We watched the movie and thought why not give it a go?
    I was talking to a guy the other day who did it and he said that the mental clarity he gained from the juice fast was amazing.

Quote Originally Posted by OceanPrincess View Post
    Does a juicer extract the fibre? Skins etc?
    Yes, a slow juicer extract juice from the fiber and skin making it more easily digestible. unlike the blender it retains the fiber. I think juicer is more healthy and recommendable

My hubby did a juice fast about 2 or 3 years ago and it kickstarted his weight loss journey in which he ultimately lost 40kg+ in about 12 months. It made him very crabby and snappy though and I made him stop it after maybe 5 or 7 days cause I couldn't stand him on it anymore. We do a mix between clean eating and paleo now. We still have the juicer which he refuses to use cause he can no longer stand the smell or taste of juice! He even has issues with my green smoothies!

I did a lot of juicing when I was having cancer treatment. I found it really helpful but also a lot of work. So here are my comments:

* fasting generally is known to produce beneficial changes to your health, but this includes more "integrated" forms of calorie restriction, like intermittant fasting & limiting the hours in the day in which you eat.
    * you can get fast-like results to your blood profile by reducing only carbs on fasting days
    * the most beneficial veggies to juice are the green leafy ones, but they taste really bitter & strong when juiced. I countered this by adding more of the sweeter juices (beet, carrot, apple etc) but that increases the sugar load. I was only having small portions, but if juices were your main thing you'd need to be careful with this.
    * prep & cleanup - you need to get a veggie washing/chopping system going, as well as a handy composting/cleanup system. You need LOTS of veg to get a decent amount of juice & it takes work. Also, storage space
    * You need to drink the juice soon after you make it or the enzymes start breaking down the nutrients. That means you need to repeat the routine several times a day.
    * don't buy the juicing carrots. They are old & nasty

Good luck with it, let us know how you get on.