Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: gastric banding????

Where we swim in glitter and play on rainbows

Default gastric banding????

hey,i have always been overweight and yes i am pregnant now, but i have been thinking about gastric banding after bubs comes. i have a few questions re. Gastric banding. Who can get it done? How much weight can you expect to loose? How much does it cost? And any other info would help.

My parents both had lapband in December 2008. (they are aged 50 and 52)In the last 9months mum has lost 28kg (from size 26-16) and dad has gone from 3xl to a M. They are still loosing weight but it has slowed to about 1kg a month. They both have private health insurance so it cost them $3000 total out of their pocket. I know someone who had it done about 3 weeks ago and she also has health cover and paid $2000 out of pocket. I am considering going to my gp and asking her to refer me to go onto the public waiting list. Just need to find the courage. if u have any more questions I can find out from mum or pm u her email address as I am sure she wont mind answering them.
    goodluck Jules

Hi, I was banded in June 2008 when my baby was 4 months old. He was weaned at that point so an anaesthetic wasn't a problem.
    I was done in Brisbane by a private surgeon and was about $7000 out of pocket with the cost of the anaesthetist and everything. If you don't have health cover and don't want to go private it can vary, but about 12,000-15,000 is pretty standard.
    I lost 50 kg in the 12 months to June this year. I then went on holidays with no fill in my band and stacked on a bit and pretty much fell pregnant not long after that, so all up I am about 42 kgs down.
    It was the best decision I have ever made! I feel so much better, I look better, I am off blood pressure medication and am looking forward to seeing what being pregnant is like at a much lower weight! I went for the band rather than the gastric bypass as there is no removal of intestine or cutting anything. It is completely reversible which is what I have done since the morning sickness has kicked in. I will get some fill back in once I am over the nausea try and control my appetite and weight while pregnant.
    If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask.

hey ladies. Thanks so much for your replies. I have had a quote through private and i will be $2700 out of pocket. I have spoken to my dp and it and she supports me 100% which is fantastic. I am hoping to get it done when bubs is around 6months and i too will only opt for gastric banding as its reversable. I am very excited au the thought of it. Will keep you posted and would def still love to hear your stories xx

Hi!

I got my band in August 2007 and havent looked back!

I have lost 75 kilos in total and I feel amazing. For me it was one the best things I had ever done in my life. Do your research, talk to some doctors and find the right clinic that will give after support with fills and over fills because it all makes a really big difference.

Good Luck

Hi Bee. You should really have a read of Sushee's blog - she had it done last year and she detailed it all here http://forums.bellybelly.com.au/foru...d-surgery.html its certainly not the easy way out and you do have to loose weight before you have it done to prove that you are committed to losing weight and making some big lifestyle adjustments as well.

My mum had the surgery and has had great success - I think she's lost around 50kg in total (over an 18 month period) and she is booking in for a body lift next year. She is 62 now and it has given her a new lease on life. There are certainly issues with lifestyle change after the surgery but there is plenty of info our there. Good luck

Default Kirsten74

Hi Kirsten,

Its incredible - even though I'm a Belly Belly member, I hadn't really used the blogs before. I have been considering lapbanding for a while and have finally made the initial appointment. I googled lapband and looked for people's experiences, your earlier post about planning to have it done came up! I then came to Belly Belly and searched your posts till I found this one.

I am SO thrilled for you that it has been so successful! Well done and HUGE congratulations to you for your growing bub! I desperately want another baby, but at my weight and with my medical history (I had a stroke at 24) I just can't risk it until I've lost some weight. My daughter is nearly 5 and regularly pleads with me to make room in my fat tummy for a baby for her to play with - it makes me cry inside.

I take inspiration from your achievements and hope that by this time next year I'll have a belly full of arms and legs instead of blubber!

Many hugs and best wishes,

Natasha

Bee - You ever thought about it any further? I know you live near me, so if you want, feel free to pop around sometime (I can meet the lil one too! ) and chat to me - My DH has had the lap band surgery

hey liz, yeh i have been thinking about it heaps. My dp and i are going to book in for an info session. I am really excited at the thought of being able to wear a dress. We are going to see dr stephen watson in murdoch. Who did your dps and if you dont mind me asking, what were the out of pocket expenses? We have private health so hopefully not too much. I am back working fulltime now but we really should have coffee. Xx

Hi...just subscribing i have an appointment to see the surgen mid may and id love to talk with others who have had it or thinking about getting it...im excited and nervous at the same time

yay i have just made my appointment for may as well. I will be seeing dr gordon padovan. How exciting for us both

I can only reiterate what I said earlier - my mum had HUGE Success with lap banding. After keeping the weight off for over 2 years she is about to start the process of excess skin removal - I am so proud of her.

There are risks with any procedure, but if it works, gastric banding is MARVELLOUS!

yay bee84 how exciting to share this scary/amazing journey...i know 3 ppl who have had this each with great success

Definitely have a coffee Muffin Break in Stocklands make great drinks

I'll be back to working soon myself, just need to fill out the appropriate paperwork before I go back.
    DH had (I THINK) the majority covered - I think it was bout $1,000 to $1,200 out of pocket as we have private health as well.
    He had Mr. Couch at the Waikki Private Hospital do his.
    I am REALLY interested in how it goes for you

sounds yummy
    We will need to do a time, not sure whats going on with me over the next couple of weeks but will let you know
    Prices have gone up since Mackenzie has been born, When I was preggas, it was going to be aroun $1600 out of pocket, now we are looking at $2500- $3000 out of pocket
    Oh well It is still going to happen for me
    Hey Liz, how much weight has your dp lost and over what period of time??

He lost around 40kgs in 12 months - But he's now on a steady pace, not really losing weight, but not gaining it too (his fault tbh, he's not excercising as much as the dr wants him to)

Sounds good btw, this next whole month is basically out for me (except my days off from work) because I've just got SO much (DH has school holidays so we'll be spending time cleaning the house from top to toe - I just know it, my birthday, Lady Gaga concert, birthday parties - if you see a lot of cars around a house on Westdale Rd on the 24th, come in and say hello - and working) but definitely drop me a line and see what we can organise

Can I ask what happens though when you have reached your goal weight? Do they take the band off or do you have that forever? If they do take it off do they get you on a maintenance program so you don't put too much back on? And how heavy do you have to be to have it done? sorry for all the questions but I'm really interested to know the answers.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast