Thread: giving up

Default giving up

what makes you give up when you are losing weight? Why do you think you give up and what is the longest you have kept with it before giving up?

I am at my heaviest that I have ever been and I hate it, but today I ahve been thinking of all of the hard work that will go into getting all of this weight off and I feel completely overwhelmed. I have lost up to 7kgs in the past (when I was lighter anyway!)., that was through weight watchers. I stopped then because we moved and couldn't afford for me to go to meetings anymore. I think when I stop trying to lose weight it is when I feel overwhelmed and lost as to what to next, even though logically I know what I have to do. I am an emotional eater and when things get too hard I eat.

AWWWW thank you so much for being so honest here, and I can totally relate to you.

I wonder if we have something new each week, we would not get so bored with the same routine.

I too did weight watchers, but no longer go, I get there books of ebay now,and just work with that.

Hmmm I think I need to find something differnet each week to keep it not so boring kwim?

Well i'm starting my diet today and feel a bit overwhelmed too. I woke up this morning starving (LOL). I need to loose 14kilo's which I have done before but i know it's hard work - but I also know that after a about 6 weeks it will just become a way of life (the food that is!). I think we get a bit lost if you are the only one dieting in the house. Luckly for me my DH needs to loose 3 kilos and is very supportive so hopefully I will get there.

nikbrad well I believe in you, I can tell by your word that you really want i this time. I was supposed to start today too, and didnt eat all day till just now and chose fruit cake because I am so depressed right now, I have to knock myself out of that depressive stage and it is not like me to be this way. Must finally be catching up with me I think.

I am going to get up tomorrow morning and have a weet bix and then get myself dressed and go for a walk and let myself listen to all the sounds of nature and just enjoy my won in the pram and the beautiful blue sky. Will let you kow how I went when I get back from walk.

Thanks for the support Soul. We just need to get into the right mind set which isn't always easy. I've found the calorie king website to be fantastic. It kind of makes me accountable for what I eat. Jump into that walk tommorrow, breath in that air and clear your head, think of all that is wonderful!

Oh I have been on most diets, i go up and down 5-10kg's it is such hard work.

I am feeling the pressure this pg as I pack on the weight when pg it is so not fair..... I really find that when i exercise i eat so much better. I tend to eat all the same foods too and that is why i give up i get bored with all the same menu. Plus all the preparation of making salad, cutting veges etc etc it's hard work girls.

The worst thing for me is not eating breakfast, then by the time i eat it is late and i am starving and eat way too much and the wrong thing.

I have to exercise in the morning too otherwise it doesn't get done.

Keep trying you can't be good all the time so if you have a setback it's ok.

I will be with you guys next year

Trina xoxox

Thank Trina, your a sweetie! Your having a baby hon so you dont have to work out madly sweet. Me on the other hand am disgusted at myself for even letting myself get like this. Notice that it comes on real fast and easy but its a bugger to get rid of and a slow process? Damn flubber! So true about the foods, I get sooo sick of the samething all the time, I need to learn different things I can have without the guilt, snack wise that is.

I give up if I don't see or feel results within the first week.
    I have been on Cohens now for over 5 weeks, and I am still going strong... I have lost just over 18kgs with loads more to go. I believe the only reason I have stuck to this is because I feel like this could be my one real big chance to lose the weight I want to lose, in a short amount of time. I also don't feel like I am missing out on anything... even though I am... I guess it is because I am eating so well, and eating decent meals.
    I have given up on every other diet I have been on in the past... at the end of my first week on Cohens, I had lost 8.2kgs... that was the motivation I needed to stick with it.

Lisa I am proud of you, that is great!What is theis diet cohens? I never heard of this. I want to know anything you can share with us about it. oh already excited to think it may work for me, unless of course it onvolves crap loads of money I would be out!

Nessa totally agree with you about ww, soooo agree with you, it does get boring and so easily to slip back into a bad habit.

I think the biggest thing is setting to high goals, and not being realistic.
    I give up because i am impatient. Set smaller goals, as they are more acheivable, then 1 huge goal.

I was about to give up until I went on the scales and saw I have FINALLY lost 3kg. Doesnt sound much but it has taken 4 weeks to achieve this. I am only watching what I am eating and trying to not snack much during the day.

i need to lose 20kg, I am at the heaviest I have ever been. After week two then week three when I saw the scales had not budged I thought 'thats it, I'm stuck. Unless I can afford some diet plan or product I'm stuffed'. I then weighed myself this week and saw 3kgs had gone.

Is this usually normal, that the first kilos take a while to budge or am I not doing enough? I dont want to stop eating IYKWIM, as I love my food but I am a bad snacker, I know I have to stop that.

I have even been contemplating doing a week on the 'Lemon Detox Diet' but that costs $80. I am contemplating this one as it will get rid of the 'crap' that is in my system and also help me stop snacking, as I won't be at all. Anyone heard of this diet?

Chon - i had a look at the lemon detox diet - but, 10days living on water? Not for me i'm afraid.
    Instead, i have choosen to go healthy. I eat fruit for breaky. I have 4 peices, and then, if i am still hungry, will have low GI fruit & musli. But, lately, now i have gotten used to it, i am not hungry. For lunch, i eat veges and some low fat ham and cheese. dinner, more veges and a small serve of meat.
    Honestly, it takes some days to get used to the no snacking, i am a horrid snacker, and a horrid lazy lunch person. But, abit of disipline helps. Also, a big bottle of water on the bench. I am always chewing gum to.

I also got from woolies (safeway) cheap digital scales. About $30. That way, you can see even just a little bit of weight drop. And then, you can say, well, i was sorta good yesterday, and i droped 200grams, tomorrow, if i am abit better, then, maybe i can do abit more.

They say it takes 30 days to make or break a habit. And, dieting is not really the answer, its choosing to eat healthy. Dieting i belive sets us on a path of destruction, of yoyo dieting, and setting a bad example for our kids, daughters esp. A better example is to eat healthy, and stay active.

Every time you reach for the fridge, or the cookie jar - stop, ask yourself, DO I NEED THIS? And really, it does work, cause, it makes you take that extra second to think about what you are doing, and stops that impluse - that nearly natural reaction that some of us seem to have to automatically reach for the choc I am shocking. But, it works for me.

Chon, I think it is healthy to loose only a kilo a week. This has been the norm for me each time I've lost weight. Although the scales don't always tell me I'm loosing weight my clothes feeling more comfortable are often the first signs for me.

Why is it so easy to put on but hard to take off??? no wonder we give up!

I just wish I could be like naturally skinny people and not have to worry about every damn thing that goes into my mouth. My hubbie eats what he wants and doenst put anything on, I even think about eating it and I see 5 kilo's of extra flab on my backside.

Well I realsied the only way I can kep on track is by having support of others going throgh the samething. SO I am going to start a slimmers group down at my local community center, I will do this over the school holidays, just once a week for an hour and a half. They had one there before but they wwere mostly old ladies and many younger mothers stopped going because the group was not so nice, so I will start one up. I use to run a poetry group there but fell pregnant and was very sick so had tp stop. So I might start a weight loss support group. Doesnt cost anything for me to start up I just use one of the rooms at the community center and then advertise, ye ha!