Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: High Fat, high protein, low carb

Default High Fat, high protein, low carb

Does anyone eat this way?

I've been doing a lot of reading on this way of eating, along with the writings of Gary Taubes, David Gillespie, Robert Lustig, and quite a few others.

It is really interesting and quite revolutionary. The results are amazing!

Just wondering if anyone else is on the bandwagon?

Its very paleo like, which I did before I fell pregnant. I can't eat that way when pregnant though but I did feel better so I will go back to it.

It is very similar to paleo! Except with dairy (so lacto-paleo I guess )

I have been doing a lot of paleo reading too - Mark Sisson, Robb Wolf - and stealing recipes from paleo blogs like nomnompaleo.

It just makes sense, even though it goes against conventional diet wisdom. I've lost at least two kilos so far (more but AF is overdue so I can't get an accurate reading on the scales at the moment - I get terrible fluid retention).

The best thing is I don't get hungry!

I usually lost 3-4kg the first week and then stalled for a bit. I had a blog about it because I was doing a certain amount of time on it as a personal challenge. I was upset when I fell pregnant and couldn't continue. I have heaps of links to blogs though so if you need a few more menu ideas let me know

Thanks

Ultimately, I want to lose at least 20kg, preferably 30kg, but, more importantly, I want to change my eating habits permanently and get healthier.

I'm trying this for 6 months, then I will review my cholesterol (which has always been perfect) and my insulin (which has been getting high) and see if this way of eating has changed anything.

I would love to get UTD as a result

Good luck! Its worth a try

I only had 10 to lose because I had already lost 30 by regular healthy eating and exercising - and I needed a change because I was finding it hard getting my motivation at a high enough level to lose those last 10.

Now I will have even more to lose in September LOL

Thanks

Question - did you find the paleo way easier than the 'regular' way?

N2L could you give me some links to the articles you've been reading sounds interesting.

Sure thing Ausgirl. These are blogs so fine to link to...

Here is a good one to get started on. Don't let the cheesy name put you off!

LCHF for Beginners | DietDoctor.com

And some more ....

http://www.nofructose.com/introduction/starter-sheet/

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/robert...b_2759564.html

Also google Mark's Daily Apple, Wheatbellyblog.
    Last edited by nothing2lose; May 25th, 2013 at 01:43 PM.

This is how we (try to) eat

Seems to work for me even not being too strict but my partner is a big snacking cheater lol so less effective. I figure he has to get to the point himself where he is ready to commit to change so wont push him but mealtimes I have a bit more natural sway.

Carbs have always left me feeling bleh so have been low carb for yonks. I basically try to stick to as much whole unprocessed food as possible (which naturally seems to be quite high protien and fat) and rainbow eating (a good spread of colours).

This week we have had the inlaws here and I can feel the difference, I just feel sluggish and drained whereas Im usually bursting with energy. As yum as some stuff is it just isnt worth feeling like this!

Glad to hear it is working for you. Off the scales though, how are you feeling? Energy, mood etc is always a great indicator of how something is working for your body (once you get through the sugar withdrawals lol).

http://garytaubes.com/wp-content/upl...e-Feb-2011.pdf

One of the best articles on it.

Eta - JF, I'm generally feeling really well. Not counting yesterday/today because of pmt Loads more energy and clarity of mind. I have to be careful though, because I also restarted on thyroxine for hypothyroid, so some of it could be that???

Quote Originally Posted by nothing2lose View Post
    Thanks

Question - did you find the paleo way easier than the 'regular' way?
    There were more snacking ideas when doing it the regular way and I didn't have to worry about my calorie intake. Whereas on Paleo I knew I wouldn't lose weight as quickly because of the high fat stuff - still high calories. Calories in and calories out that kind of thing ya know.

However, I was doing it because I felt better, not because I wanted to lose weight quickly. So if you were wanting to lose it all quickly then don't eat as much fatty stuff and keep an eye on your calories. All that good nutritious food adds up quickly in calories!

But I lost all my bloating and my sinuses cleared for the first time in about 3 years. Of course they are stuffed up again now, but at least you can't see my bloating because my big fat belly hides everything now LOL

Thanks! I had actually come across something similar last night - but it was a book you had to buy and I wasn't buying yet another diet book! It was quite a bit more extreme though - this seems quite doable! I have only had a quick read, but notice that one thing you could have was full fat yoghurt, however I assume it has to be sugar free - is there such a thing?
    Right now, I would try anything to get my body to start losing weight - it's like I have become insulin resistent or something, every time I try to lose weight, via low fat, I seem to just put a kg or 2 more on!
    Thanks, some good reading for me there.

Okay. I read the Diet Dr. I'm in. I've been thinking about it for a while, and with the naturopath telling me to reduce my yeast intake as I'm sensitive to it (and salt!!!) AND the acupuncturist telling me to cut all carbs for a fortnight to stop myself craving them... I guess the universe is trying to tell me I need to be low carb.... Not going no carb, as I truly do believe that we need some... But 'natural' carbs, rather than processed.... Are you really going no potatoes as well???

I really really want to do it.... Just have to take it that next step into internal motivation....

I am currently tracking my calories and macronutrients on calorie king, more out of interest than anything. I am eating as much fat and protein as I like and still only hitting approx 1300-1400 cals a day.

I am aiming for -

115gm protein
    120 gm fat
    No more than 50 net grams carbs

Eta - as Myturn and JF know, I also started a FB blog kind of thing to post recipes, articles, progress, thoughts, etc. I find it helps keep me motivated.

Myturn - I first started doing the Whole30 but found it way too restrictive for me, so just turned normal paleo. however I wasn't that strict and sometimes I ate peas (shock horror) and white potatoes. While they aren't recommended if you are following Dr Cordain's Paleo diet, most other bloggers seem to think if you have white potatoes from time to time it won't kill you

I was hooked on sweet potato chips though, so darn tasty!!!

Yeah, I don't eat potatoes but I had kind of gone off them pretty much anyway, so I can live without them. The way I gt motivated was totally immerse myself in these books/blogs/etc.

Obsession is totally underrated

In some ways it just seems sensible to me, to eat naturally, so peas, potatoes, corn etc are all okay, even thought they are carbs.... But processed carbs are not processed in the body as well, so they are the ones to limit...

Truely its the sweets and snacks I will have trouble with....

Actually...

Dinners are okay... Is easy to cook a healthy dinner... It's breakfast and lunch and the snacks.... Lol... Nearly everything

ive been very bad with breakfast lately... And when you loo at diet blogs etc, the give all these unrealistic breakfast choices,that require 15 minutes preparation... As I am NOT a morning person, and don't feel hungry in the AM, breaks is hard for me.... Lunch lately has been a problem as I haven't been making it at home.

Really I have no excuses, I am just living without 'though' - does that make sense....? I think if I am 'thinking' and making conscious choices, rather than just taking one step in front of the other...it's better... I guess that makes sense... Lol, sometimes for someone so intelligent, I feel so dumb.... So today, right now... This is where is starts right.....

I thought this morning, that I need to focus on the food... Exercise is important, but without the food changes, nothing will happen anyway. (This was after 60 minutes PT... Sweating like a pig... But strangely enjoying myself which is unusual, cause I really don't like sweat !)

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast