Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: High Fat, high protein, low carb

Okay... So gotta work on the obsession I think that's hard, as I hate it when things take over life... It really I just have to decide what it is I want, and make myself do what I need to do to get there...

Myturn - for most breakfasts I had grain free granola that I found on the internet, or a smoothie. Its quick and easy - especially the granola because its just as quick as normal cereal - and with this many kids I didn't have time to fluff around in the mornings either with complicated breakfast stuff

You can do it MT. If I can, you can.

Just change your obsession. I don't eat peas (They are also a natural contraceptive ), corn or potato, but you could to ease your way into it. I think giving up sugar and grain is more important to start with.

Re breakfast, I have made casheroos, paleo pancakes, energy balls (still got dates, so technically a no no), paleo bread, etc on a Sunday and eat those at work when I get in.

We eat similar to this on GAPS. It's like paleo/primal too. We are very low starch though so we don't eat some of the starchy foods allowed on the paleo diet like sweet potato, arrowroot and plantains. I try not to go too low carb and I find I need to eat a heap of veggies to make up for it- which is awesome! I eat more vegetables now than I did as a vegetarian as I was displacing too much nutrition with refined carbs then.

I lost a bunch of weight and I eat STACKS of fat and protein. I don't hold back and I never, ever count calories.

If I can do it then seriously, anyone can. I used to eat 2-3 chocolate bars a day and at least 1/2 a loaf of bread. Then pasta and potatoes. Honestly.

N2L I cannot tell you how proud I am of you xox

I've been wanting to just have meat and veges for a while, but haven't been motivated, maybe I can do it. I think I will tell DH that I want to be responsible for cooking etc...he does a lot of it, cause he is home earlier than I, but i think I need to do doing it myself....

I'm on it... No peas though!!!

Do you find it expensive?

I was vegie for many years, now eat white meat. DH and kids like meat, and i find it really expensive, especially when i try to get 'good' meats.

Ahh all this talk is making me miss paleo sad panda.

HotI - it was expensive for us but we are on centrelink benefits until dh finishes his degree so everything is expensive lol

MT, be proud of me in six months if I'm still doing it and my health is on track

HotI, honestly I can't say whether it is expensive or not. I'm fortunate enough to not have to worry so much about that, but I know there are lots of paleo sites for people on a budget. I think one is called Poor Paleo... (Sorry, not calling you poor!!!)

That said, I reckon you wouldn't have to spend too much. After all it's about cooking for scratch so it can be cheaper than buying processed stuff. The nuts/coconut products can be $$ but you could buy in bulk.

So if I cooked up some brekky things on a Sunday, would they last all week....?
    I guess it depends on what they are... Bit I'm thinking something muffiny paleo bready kind of thing...

HotI we do it on a very low income, DP is a butcher apprentice although this does mean we get a lot of random low cost cuts etc, the wage is very low so evens out a bit if that makes sense and Im a SAHM. The most expensive things for us are the various specific "special" seeds, grains, nuts and oils (coconut etc) but a lot of it goes far, lasts well and can be sourced in bulk, I find we dont need a lot between meals to feel full so anything we make lasts ages. For meat, try to go for the cheaper underused cuts, when cooked right they are just as brilliant as any other. Can give lots of tips about that or well, DP can through me lol. We grow our own herbs and a few other bits and pieces that also helps add a lot of flavour cheaply so worth looking into as it is super easy and doesnt cost much to set up. We dont eat potato (Ive just never liked the taste lol yep, Im odd) but you can bulk things out with the cheaper vegies like carrot, beans, zuchini, whatever is on special which is what we do. We save everything and use up everything so lots of complimentary meals - roast one night, the meat will last another meal then the carcass for stock with all our vegie off cuts (save them from all meals in the freezer to use) for a soup base that then will last lunches for a week. At the end of our shopping cycle we always stirfry whatever vegies we have left over etc. There is heaps of tips around for stretching your money further! And ways to search for meals out of whatever is left in the cupboard/fridge.

Also because basically all take out is off the menu as well as prepackaged snacks, drinks (we only have water and some milk for the kids and in things) etc means you save money there. DP takes lunch to work and I always take snacks etc out with us so we arent spending money there.

The other thing is you dont need to go all in straight away, small changes are better than no changes so do what you can manage as you can manage it

I must admit eating loads of butter, cheese and high fat meat terrifies the dieting brain in me! I will be going into this not expecting to see much change so I hope I am extremely wrong!!

Quote Originally Posted by ausgirl View Post
    I must admit eating loads of butter, cheese and high fat meat terrifies the dieting brain in me! I will be going into this not expecting to see much change so I hope I am extremely wrong!!
    It freaked me out too Ausgirl. But I have lost another kilo.... Try it and see. What is the worst that can happen? You put on a couple of kgs that you have to lose, but I highly doubt it

Started reading Wheat Belly this morning. Recommend it. It is a little scary one thing I don't agree with is some of the recipes at the end of the book use artificial sweetener which I won't do. I'd rather go without.

Myturn, I usually make a batch of casheroos (makes 20 slices and I only have one, maybe two a day), a batch of choc energy balls (again makes 20 and I only have one a day but DP and DD eat these too), a loaf of paleo bread which gives you 10 serves of approx 2.5 cm thickness (I have one serve sliced in half), a pot of vege soup (lasts me three lunches). Then maybe some pancakes which I only get two or three days from.

I store everything in fridge in airtight containers except the casheroos. I just leave them in cupboard in airtight container.

It's about half a day cooking and it lasts me.

Eta - you could freeze the bread in portions but I tend to toast it under the grill or in sandwich press at the end of the week to freshen it iykwim.

Where abouts do you find the recipes you are discussing? I've read most of what you've recommended me but I haven't found the recipes yet.
    N2L, how lomg have you been on it for?

Ausgirl, for me it has been a gradual thing over a couple of months. Got more serious over past fortnight or so. I weighed myself on Anzac Day and I am almost three kilos down. (Probably more as AF is late and I am fluid central at the moment!)
    The first couple of weeks were slack as I had DD's birthday and still ate bread, pasta and rice. So early days but feeling good so far.

I have a FB blog-type thing which I can give you the details to. I post recipes and pics I find, as well as articles and blog info. Let me know if you want the details. Otherwise I can post some here.

So I've just shopped HFLC! I felt all kinds of wrong, butter, cream, big block of full fat cheese! I think I will make some cauliflower cheese, having silverside tonight!!
    What kind of things do people have for breakfast. I can't face cooking bacon and eggs every day - cooking anything really. I am usually a quick toast or cereal girl so tips please!
    Also is corn flour allowed (pure), for my cheese sauce, would only be a tablespoon but not sure if cornflour counts as flour or not.

N2L that would be great re your blog thing. Thanks.

My MIL did and she didn't lose anything really - she'd lose a little, then put on a little, then lose a decent chunk, then regain it, etc.

BUT she has been like that on basically every diet she's been on, and the issue is that she likes food, she likes wine, she doesn't exercise frequently or with much intensity, and I suspect she eats too much in general.

I have similar issues!

So I think it's like any sensible eating plan ... it it healthy food? Is it maintainable? Are you going to stick to it? Is it going to be tasty enough to do so? Are you going to be strict with your portion sizes until your tummy adapts, and you can stick to them anyway? Are you going to be exercising?

If yes, then go for it - and good luck

No need to be strict with portion size or exercise. It is not part of the plan really. "They" say exercise for joint health, strength, wellbeing, stress relief, etc but that it plays very little part in weightloss.

Of all the hundreds of blog entries/comments I have read over the past month, I have not heard of anyone not losing weight and getting healthier eating like this IF they cut out the carbs properly.

(Can you tell I've reached defcon 2 in zealot stage? )
    Last edited by nothing2lose; May 26th, 2013 at 04:40 PM.

She stuck with the yes and no categories very well, and has had no long term weight loss over the past 15 years ...

When I mention portion control, I mean any semblance of reasonableness ...

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast