Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: High Fat, high protein, low carb

Lol, if it were me and something wasn't working for 15 years, I'd stop doing it Which, for me, is kind of the point of this whole endeavour. I can't speak for your MIL because only she and God knows what she puts in her mouth when no one else is watching, but I have read success after success. I'm giving it a go because, as the name says, I have nothing to lose.

It goes beyond weightloss too. Read some of the books about sugar, wheat, various grains and artificial sweeteners and see what they do to your body. You'd probably be keen to cut back on them too. I don't want diabetes. I don't want heart disease. I don't want cancer. I don't want high blood pressure. Even if I can't look good in a bikini, I can look good on an ECG monitor and, ultimately, that's far more important to me. Weightloss is a bonus.

Anyway, we will see how I go

I would love a link to your thing N2L - I am interested in it mostly from a health perspective - I do eat high fat and protein but am pretty useless at cutting out carbs and sweet stuff. My body copes quite well in terms of weight and insulin cholesterol etc but I am hoping for more energy and also to avoid high blood pressure in later life as my dad had perfect blood pressure till mid 60's and it is now impacting his retirement plans slightly.

Happy to wysiwyg Please don't get too excited though. It is very amateur and only been going a couple of weeks. I started it so I didn't obsess on my regular FB page and alienate people. This way I can alienate them under another name and they might forget it's me

Go for gold, n2l. I wish every success for you

Thanks Nutter

You'd better pray for me too

Quote Originally Posted by nothing2lose View Post
    It goes beyond weightloss too. Read some of the books about sugar, wheat, various grains and artificial sweeteners and see what they do to your body. You'd probably be keen to cut back on them too. I don't want diabetes. I don't want heart disease. I don't want cancer. I don't want high blood pressure. Even if I can't look good in a bikini, I can look good on an ECG monitor and, ultimately, that's far more important to me. Weightloss is a bonus.
    I totally agree. We went on the diet for health and I had no idea that weightloss was even something that might happen. It seems to be the biggest thing that wins people over though. I'm more interested in the fact that I'm infinitely healthier than I used to be. I used to always feel this niggling sense of impending doom that I was going to develop cancer or diabetes or osteoporosis and I just don't feel concerned now. I feel healthy. I'm actually hoping I start to gain weight again as my bone density should pick up.

What sweeteners do you use? We use fruit or honey.

I use rice malt syrup, coconut sugar or 100% maple syrup. I also use dates in energy balls but they are really high in fructose so I only have one a day.

Starting a revolution, N2L

Weight loss for me was very gradual but it was "easy". I never had to try, it wasnt a conscious thing where I felt actively restricted or on a diet; it was just how we eat. I also never really exercise to exercise if that makes sense, Im quite active in general (walk to the park, shops, run around the yard, take the steps, park further away kind of thing) but I dont specifically ever work out... yet. It took a bit over a year after each DD to get back to my healthy range, about 20kgs each time so only a kilo or two a month but I was in no rush personally. I never really weighed myself so not sure how linear it was or anything, one day my old clothes fit again lol.

Will be interesting whether I need to step things up once I stop breastfeeding as I have been for 4 years so both times and Im sure that has impacted things although by how much, I have no idea. Also how my metabolism might alter with age? Again, I dont know. The most important thing for me is energy levels though, I feel much calmer when I know I can get through the day and whatever it throws at me without feeling too much strain. As long as that is maintained Im less fussed about the number on my clothes tags.

The hardest part is initially, the further you get past the "cravings" the easier it becomes to say no. It is a more you have it, more you want it kind of thing which can be a hard cycle to break.

ETA: should add that whilst I've been high fat, high protein, low carb for a while it is only recently that Im becoming more discerning about which fat, which protein and which carbs. And still have much to learn!

I have been doing this just since Monday. And af arrived on Tuesday and it was a real shocker with loads of pain and feeling so swollen.
    But regardless of that, the scales say just over 2kg down, in 5 days, with af still hanging around! I've had no sugar cravings and no sugar/carbs/white anything which in itself is miraculous especially when af is around.
    I've been eating full fat cheese and cream and cooking in butter or oil and I am quite astounded to be honest and I've not felt hungry which is so different to anything else I've done before and I love not counting calories.
    Oh and due to af being so awful, there's been no excercise at all this week other than normal stuff work related.
    Hoping this continues!

Okay ausgirl.... I'm feeling inspired....

So far its the lack of carb alternatives that I've struggled with, I'm still falling back to pasta and rice... Didn't have much in the way of bread last week - except for a gluten, dairy yeast free bread I found at Safeway....

I made cauliflower rice and it was actually pretty good as an alternative. I also used the slicer thingy that has different settings to make thin ribbons of zuchini which was kind of like spaghetti.
    I don't have spaghetti or rice very often though anyway. Fruit has been hard for me to give up, especially my morning banana.

My attempt at zucchini spaghetti was not that successful lol more like zucchini mush

Lol, yep it takes some fine tuning!

Get one of those peelers Myturn. Zyliss make them. Mine worked really well using one.

Yours lokked awesome!! The general trader??

I think so.... Google it and see.

Eta - yep, and House. Also Kitchenware Direct.

It's called the Zyliss Julienne Peeler.

I have a spiral slicer and I love the zucchini pasta it makes. Better than pasta

We generally roast a tray of vegetables every night and have those with our dinner for our dense carbs. Every thing you would put on pasta goes great on veggies instead.

I make paleo bread when I feel the urge but that's rarely. I generally make coconut flour brownies or cupcakes if I want that 'baked goods' feeling.

I just found a good recipe for flax seed meal "focaccia". I'm going to try it

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast