Thread: How to set myself up for success???

Question How to set myself up for success???

Ok, so it's time to lose some weight... but there's a few factors that are screwing with my head... and I really wanna try set myself up for success, because I've been battling to do this over the last few years. Basically I want to lose some weight. We're keen to TTC towards the end of this year, and I'm 9kg over a healthy BMI... and about 15kg over where I would like to be (I was actually 20kg lighter than this a few years ago). I had gestational diabetes (I ended up on insulin) during my PG and Dad has Type II diabetes. I'm PURE apple shape (my biggest measurement is STILL my gut ), and I know I'm heading to Type II if I don't do something about this (not to mention the risk of GD next PG). I'm also expressing full-time (so effectively BF) and want to try and lose slowly & safely so as not to compromise my supply... and will that be more susceptible to weightloss than BF'ing?

Stuff that provides me with (hmm let's use a positive word)... challenges:
    1. I have a thing called fructose malabsorption (FM)- can't eat wheat, onion, some veggies and a heap of fruits
    2. DS has eczema & is a very snorty/snuffly little boy - I'm toying with cutting out dairy to see if that helps
    3. I've previously had to try a few different "medical" diets to work out what was wrong with me... I CAN do diets when it's making me sick. When there isn't a direct result, I find it harder. And probably years of doing them has made me resentful at times - I get sick of being the "difficult/special" one.
    4. I previously lost 15kg through being sick with FM... I swore I wouldn't put it back on - but I have
    5. I used to do triathlons & go to the gym, I was fit & loved it. I can't go running again at present due to post-birth girly-bits issues (prolapse and my BB's are just TOO HUGE!). My strategy in the past... go running! Ain't a goer at present.
    6. Sometimes I use my FM (and the diabetes during PG) as an excuse for "poor-me" eating - like, oh there's something I can actually eat, therefore I should eat it.

So basically I feel like i've got a slightly screwy relationship with food and I want to do this sensibly. I've tended to do very black & white, all or nothing type things in the past and I don't think it's very healthy. TBH I'd rather go out & exercise like a nutcase but eat what I want lol... prolly won't work at present. I also found the eating very difficult while I was PG, and I know I need to be more mature in my approach to health & fitness if I want to achieve my goal weight... and minimise my risk of diabetes.

Plus, do I just eat healthy & see if that helps DS's eczema? Or do I go the whole hog & cut out dairy PLUS eat healthy? Or is that making it too difficult for myself? I toyed with just eating a low GI diet, as I had to do that while PG - it's not all that easy when following the fructose diet as well... but I managed it (but probably with a fairly high level of stress!). Doing the GD diet certainly gave me direct feedback on what raised my BSL's which was quite useful and I know which foods I would have to avoid now.

Foodwise & supportwise, I was toying with weight watchers... I'm a very social person and I love a "cheerleading" group to help support me - and DH's style is not a "girly-ra-ra-cheering:" style which I know I'd like. But I also need to take my restricted diet into account - hence things that use shakes and such probably wouldn't work for me. But from what I've gathered, WW would be either counting calories or points (I've never done either before) but I should be able to do that within my diet, I think? Or do I go see a naturopath or dietician? Naturopath's I've done before, and TBH got a bit sick of being offered supplements that often had "hidden" natural fruit sugar ingredients that didn't work for me. I've also seen dietician's before and I don't feel they give any ongoing support. I want some emotional support for when I have a mental day with an unsettled baby - how do I keep myself eating ok? Also, DH is dairy-free, so sometimes finding things we both like & can eat is... tricky.

In terms of exercise, I also have a Wii Fit, exercise bike & road bike, some weights and a dog who needs walking - so that could meet my exercise needs. I've done gym programs enough previously that I THINK I could organise something suitable for myself. Or maybe get a personal trainer? That would get some outside perspective which might keep me more honest.

Guess I was curious as to what others would recommend? I've probably given you heaps too much detail, but it's kinda helped organise my own thoughts. I guess I want to decide on HOW i'll do it, commit to doing it... and then if it's not working, change it!

But sometimes it's easier to see what would work for others than yourself! Thanks for having the patience to read my saga!

TIA,
    Belfie.

Hi Belfie, just popping in to remind myself to come back...i'm heading out now but I will come back and post this afternoon when I have some time

just lurking ....... you can whinge to me and i will tell you to get your butt off the couch if you tell me to get mine off too

oh and to leave the double choc biscuits alone ....

seriously though, its hard with a littlie - i used to leave Giselle and Riley in the creche at gym but dont have time at the moment with paul travelling, school run, preschool run, plus A LIFE! so I will be lurking to see if any new suggestions - wiifit worth it? now coming into the colder months soon too i need to have a routine in place

WW doesnt count calories. There is an alternative to points but on the program you can only eat certain foods so with you own food restrictions, Id say that one would be far more challenging, and Points would be better. You can work out WW points for any food, your dietary restrictions should all be able to be worked around if you choose to go that path.

I so understand the not being able to exercise after giving birth thing - it took me well over two years to be able to play b/ball - I tried earlier and had to stop - and still needed 'extra protection' to be able to do it.

Going dairy free and eating healthfully is definitely a go-er. I will be here to give you a hand! We did a gluten-free, dairy-free Christmas (actually it was also vegan) as my SIL is coeliac and DH and I are vegan, so I have hundreds of great recipes - the onion thing will be tricky, but I reckon I could work around it.
    MummaB wrote a thread on going dairy free a while ago, and heaps of BB ladies had some great ideas on going dairy free, so there's lots of support right there! When I first went dairy free, I lost 4kg in 6 weeks, without doing much else (about 20km a week on the bike)
    I think it's OK to have planned treats, as long as you get yourself into the mindset that you'll just have to do something to work it off. Especially when you can't have what's in front of you all the time, that must be really hard.
    WW could be good to get you going, and it's pretty flexible around your requirements, I think. If you wanted to do it on your own, though, I think you'd do well by going with smaller portions of low-GI stuff, and maybe having a calorie counter book on hand for reference occasionally.
    Every time I lose weight, I swear blind tat I won't put it back on, and every time, I put about two thirds back on. So slowly, I'm getting there! I think the important thing is to make sure you get back on the horse every time you slip up.
    Make it a long-term plan - I think that's what I'm trying to say amid all this waffle! If it's sustainable, and you're not missing out on anything, I think you'll succeed permanently.
    I'll leave the exercise bit to CQ - she's the pro.

Hi Belfie, everyone has given you really good advice re the food. I'm struggling a bit over nutrition myself so i'll leave that to the others!

Exercise wise you're first stop is probably to get a really good sports bra which will help when you're exercising. With the prolapse, is there anything they do about it? Do you need an op or is it something that clears up by itself?

If you can join a gym then I would suggest spin classes, if you can do 3 of those a week you will lose weight. You mentioned getting Personal Trainer is a possiblilty...I can't recommened them more. I would walk over hot coals to get to my sessions and never, ever miss them. You get so much more out of having somebody pushing you and encouraging you.

I also find it easier to exercise at the gym than at home. The gym can be very social as well, I always meet up with a load of Mums and have coffee afterwards, it's a great environment. The rower is also a great piece of equipment and would probably be fine for you to use. It's evil and I have a real love/hate (without the love ) relationship with it - but it works.

If you don't want to join a gym then defianatly utilise your bike at home. The woman that ran my cycle course the other day has a cycle DVD out - her name is Donna Ellerton (sp?) so I beiieve it's like doing a cycle class in your front room!

HTH

Thanks for the replies. I read this morning as I ate a square of chocolate - lol oh dear!

SamiH - hehe I knew i could rely on you! And yup, I'm very happy to share the "get off the couch" luvvin'! Re the Wii Fit, I've been doing some of the yoga & balance games, and I definitely like the idea of being able to do bits & pieces here & there! I also like the look of dance revolution hehe (the teenager in me!) but think it might be a little high impact for me at present.

Rayray - thanks for the info re WW, sounds like points is definitely the way to go

Snugglybean (love your name!) -
    I think it's OK to have planned treats, as long as you get yourself into the mindset that you'll just have to do something to work it off. Especially when you can't have what's in front of you all the time, that must be really hard.
    WW could be good to get you going, and it's pretty flexible around your requirements, I think. If you wanted to do it on your own, though, I think you'd do well by going with smaller portions of low-GI stuff, and maybe having a calorie counter book on hand for reference occasionally.
    Thanks, and I do have a calorie counter book around here somewhere... (prolly dusty lol!). I've done dairy free once before (years ago) for 6 months. But never tried it with my current diet. So saying, I drink soy milk at home cos that's what DH has, and it's just easier now! My biggest obstacle... I love milo - it's my go to drink in the morning when I'm feeding DS first thing and feeling hungry. I've bought some aktivite for DH, but I don't think I can have it due to fructose ingredients... so I've been wracking my brains for a replacement. Also, I think your comment re planned treats is so true. I sometimes go at these things like a bull at a gate, and I know that's not sustainable/realistic longer term. Planning what i can have (maybe in a WW framework) might work well for me, I'd realise I can still have treats and eat healthily.

CombatQueen - thanks for the tips, and I totally agree re the personal trainer. But I'm a BIT more uncertain re the gym.... don't get me wrong, I used to love it... BUT it'd be much harder getting out of the house for classes or just to work out at the moment. In the evening I'd rather not, but doing it in the morning before DH starts work seems like a bit of an impossibility at present with a 4 month old. PLUS my nearest gym is full of members of my old triathlon club... and maybe it's wrong, but I just don't want to go there yet in my current shape. I'm a pretty motivated regimented type person, if I drew up a plan (AND had a PT once a week to keep me honest?) I think that could work better with my current lifestyle. But I must admit, previously when I worked out at the gym I did work out harder! Re the prolapse, it's not considered to NEED intervention at this stage, but my physio doesn't want me doing anything high impact yet... but it shold improve over time and I might be able to try some gentle jogging. But also, I think my body isn't anywhere near in shape for it yet anyway. maybe if I could get a bit lighter & stronger (improve my core strength!) then it would be good to try. Plus as you mentioned, sports bra is a MUST, and I have not managed to find a good one yet - that's my next mission! But I figure, walking, weights, cycling & wii fit... that should do it! If I could get a PT who would help me set up a program and do a session with me... that would work.

Plus I'm trying not to worry about cost TOO much. My logic is that having Type II diabetes for the rest of my life would be more expensive than whatever I might do now!

Thankyou heaps for your replies so far! I'll be looking into these optiosn and I'm gonna come back in here & COMMIT with a start date & a plan!
    Cheers,
    Belfie

You are so right re the cost. If you put money into your health now you'll be saving yourself, and future generations, a lot of money in the future.

I just had a look and found Donnas cycle DVD which I think would be worth getting. If you're interested PM me and i'll send you the link

WRT a drink in the morning, have you thought about a Protein shake? If you're starting a weight training program then extra protein is a must anyway. Ladybird do nice protein shakes, again PM me if you want the link to their website

Just remember if you are writing yourself a weights program - keep things even, work opposing muscles ie chest/back, biceps/triceps. Start with the bigger muscles (legs) and then chest, shoulders, back, arms then core (but not neccissarily all at once ).
    If you need a hand give me a yell

CQ's got a great idea with the protein shake, but I don't know what the fructose status is, so why not go for a soy milk smoothie? I loooove peanut butter and banana smoothie, keeps you going for hours. Green & Black's do a beautiful drinking chocolate, pricey, but worth it, if you want the choc-fix.