Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I have to stop

Angry I have to stop

I have to stop eating.
    I am getting bigger and bigger

I am energetic and walk most days so its not that i am lazy.
    We eat dinner with DD at 5.30pm, i am not hungrey after dinner, but i eat, every night
    I crave sweet buscuits/lollies/chocolates.

If i am around chocolate i just cant control myself.
    I have never really had this issue in the past

HOW DO I STOP - i dont have the will power as i tell myself EVERY night not to and then i just eat anyway.

My clothes no longer fit nicely and people have started asking 'whens the next one due' to which i relpy, its not, im just getting fatter!

DH is great, but will never tell me that i am fat (too many past issues) im not huge, but uncomfortable and something must be done before it gets totally out of control

All the things that i have previously done no longer work - food charts etc etc

please help

If you can't control yourself when those foods are around then you need to make sure they aren't easily accessible.

I am the same, if there is chocolate then I won't stop until I have devoured the entire block so I just have to stop myself from buying it in the first place.

It does get easier. Once you get over the first couple of weeks you find yourself craving these things less and less but the initial part is really, really tough!!

Good luck.

i have a the same problem and i do believe that it has ALOT to do with breastfeeding..
    i have found that while im feeding i cant loose weight(i can stay the same not go lower)
    i know when i stopped feeding ds i droped 10k very quickly.. DD doesnt look like giving up boob anytime soon.
    this isnt for just "bad" foods i can eat and eat fruit and veg.. i over eat any type of food.

sorry i cant help.

I am the same.
    So just then I had a snack of a carrot, and an "up and go" instead of bread of chocolates.

I have banned chocolates and biscuits from the house (not such an issue as DH doesn't like them much) i have also banned soft drink (my other weakness)

I also try to do at least 30 mins of some sort of moderate to high intensity exercise.

It is about breaking the habit. If yo ucan go a couple of days without, it will get easier.

Doudou - thank goodness I thought it was just me! My shape changed when I stopped BF with DD1, was quite amazing (thank goodness).

I also found it easier to control what I ate when I wasn't too tired and was motivated. To avoid temptation I just don't buy stuff like chocolate etc and I have to be really honest with myself about what I do eat. I found with DD1 I was snacking when she ate and then eating my dinner too - so that was a trap.

I now stick to a smaller plate and half full of vege, 1/4 carbs and 1/4 protein. Dessert (small) every 3rd night or so - if I go too full on I go completely off the rails. Also try to walk morning and night for 30mins or so.

Good luck - it is hard work but you will feel better for it.

SugarDust Guest

Sammie - I'm like you if we have dinner early I'm not hungry later on but eat because it is in the house! I'm finding it easier to not eat sweets but will eat and Vegemite sandwich when hungry followed by a big glass of milk and i repeat this until I'm feeling sick!

If you ever need some one to talk to pm me and we can be each others support!

Where in melb are you?

sj - if you feel you really really have to have a choc, what abt really dark choc or a weight watchers bikies, maybe htat way you can stop slowly?
    wish there was a 'nicabate' for choc addiction..

re - shape changing after stopping bf, is this even when they are on solids or fully bf?
    i only bf ds 2x a day now, and after 17mths ive gone back to my pre preg weight. that includes gym workout. im just wondering if my shape will change when he's completely weaned.

seriously the only thing you can do is walk past the cholcolate aisle in the supermarket - DO NOT BUY ANYTHING SWEET, BISCUITS, CHOC ETC, and then you can't eat it at night, and i figure if you are willing to get dressed and drive to the shop to buy some chocolate, then you probably deserve it, but definitely don't have it in the house. its the only thing that works.

i still eat sweets and chocolate but am pregnancy so that is my excuse at the moment, but i was definitely addicted to coca cola, and the only thing that has enabled me to stop drinking it is to not allow it in the house.... when i'm out its a different story, but at home i was drinking it like water, so at least i'm not doing that anymore.

good luck... find some good foods you would be happy to eat... have you tried the VAALIA french vanilla yoghurt, i don't even like yoghurt but love this stuff, tastes just like ice cream, chuck in some chopped strawberries and its YUMMMMMMMMMMM.

I know how you feel. I used to be the same. It is sooo frustrating. It was so horrible buying say, a chocolate bar to last all week and then finishing it one evening...

I found that for me, it was emotional eating, hence food charts, diets, etc didn't work because it wasn't about the food, it was about (please excuse the cliche) - "filling the void". When I thought about it, I realised that I was unhappy with my relationship, I hated my job and was generally unsatisfied with my life, and rather than dealing with that would look for something pleasant to do, e.g. eat chocolate.

Sweets and junk food stimulate the same parts of the brain as alcohol, cigarettes and other drugs, which is why heaps of people overindulge in them. So I recommend that you look at why you eat when you're not hungry. I'm not sure of what your personal situation is, but is there something about it that is bugging you? E.g. are you working? If so, are you happy with your job? If you're not, do you want to? Do you want to pursue a hobby but don't because you fear failure or ridicule? How are things with your family and friends? I think that if you realise what it is that you are not facing by eating instead, then you can stop overeating for good.

HTH. Good luck.

Hi Sammiejane,
    I hear you! Im a shocker after dinner... I would say when shopping dont even go down the sweets isle so you dont have anything in the house. Maybe put things in your fridge that are sweet for the craving like strawberries or grapes, stuff you can pick and munch on and not feel bad if you eat the whole punnet or bag. I know once Ive got the taste of chocolate in my mouth Im not satisfied untill Ive made myself ill, so if your like me there is no point getting a smaller serving like a fun size or milky way....
    Maybe a hot chocolate too? It takes longer to drink but not as bad for you as a block of chocolate, or maybe a sweet herbal tea or chai??
    Its hard sometimes though when you get the craving. Honestly if I had chocolate in my house Id eat it every single day. And dont get me started on baked treats.

Good question Prama...I hope I loose weight after BFing!
    SJ I never walk down the lolly aisle when shopping. Ever. (Mainly so the kids don't see, lol).
    It helps not being able to afford those luxuries
    My weakness is coke...can't get enough.
    I have no idea how to help. Sorry. I just need to get off my butt I think...

If you are the main food buyer in the house, then its in your control. Just DONT buy it. I know its hard coz there is other ppl in the house that eat the junk food, but hay, im sure they will understand.

i would like to point out that you can get fat even when not eating junk.
    i go down the lolly isle simple because the other side is the cereal.. so i have to..
    i know i dont buy chips or sweet bisuits or lollies.. i have started to buy 1 block of 85% chocolate every fortnight(i shop weekly) as i dont and cant scoff a whole block.

i definatley agree with looking at why you are eating and if it due to emotional issues or a reactive type responce.

Thanks guys for your responses.

I think that some of the reason that i eat in the evening is that i am bored!
    I am so busy with DD during the day that when it comes to the evening i just sit (after doing the dishes and tidying etc etc) and veg out and i guess eating is something to do.
    DH works long hours and so sometimes is not home in the evening.

I no longer buy biscuits, lollies or chocolate, but DH will often bring things home for himself - he usually tries to hide it for me (at my request) but if i know its there i seek it out (plus there are not many hidy places in our small kitchen!!!)

Its not just the junk , i will eat toast if there is nothing sweet.
    I do have a hot chocolate most evenings (something i have done in the winter since a kid) and have switched to light milk for that.

I guess i need to find something to do with myself in the evening that is constructive to entertain myself.

Sugadust i am in Clayton - so probably not so close to you

ETA - i am only doing one BF at night now - and the occasional morning one if she wants it (but rarely now) i wonder if this is really still having an impact on my weight??? I hope so - although i am not far of pre pg weight there is a lot more flab!!!
    Last edited by Sammiejane; July 17th, 2009 at 07:55 AM.

If you're craving sugar snack on fruit or yoghurt.

I have stopped buying junk food when I go shopping, we don't have any in the house ever.

sj - when i was pg and was wanting to eat choc, esp choc ice-cream, my naturopath told me i was lacking dairy in my diet..

have you been eating mroe since you've been on 1 bf? just wondering if it's linked?

i also found those nutbars are good for nibbles, they are full of nuts but also have some honey on them so much healthier than other stuff

Hi SJ,

I have the same post-dinner urge to eat. And it has nothing to do with hunger, but once it becomes a habit it is VERY hard to break and I hear you on the eating toast or something even if nothing really naughty in the house. What I have to do is have a game plan, I bought a stack of low cal yummy hot drink sachets/powders, herbal teas & diet soft drinks, when I feel the urge to snack I first make myself a BIG mug or glass of one of those. Try cutting up in advance a big plastic container of crudettes (carrot, celery, capscium sticks) They have basically no calories in them, but can fulfill that need to crunch something mindlessly. I also lectured my DH sternly about the consequences of enabling me. Don't know if you can use any of that, HTH

*SIGH*

Your post describes me perfectly! Being a SAHM doesn't help...I think being stuck at home while bubs sleeps etc. makes us more vunerable to eating from boredom! I eat even when I'm not hungry.

Chocolate desires chocolate so if you're eating it every day then your body will keep craving it. I think a choc detox is the only answer, so not buying it should work wonders. Or try the dark stuff...Lindt 70% is awesome (lol, and good for you I hear?).

I try to drink lots of water when I'm bored or craving something unhealthy..certainly fills me up and makes me feel better about myself too. Sas85's idea about having pre-chopped fruit and veg is a great one...if something's so easily accessable then you're sure to eat it more.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast