Thread: Maintaing the weight

Cool Maintaing the weight

I don't know how to maintain weight.

I can lose, i can gain, but i don't know how to maintain weight.

This has lead to my weight going up and down my whole life.

How do i maintain weight? I'm thinking of going to a dietician. I need to be told what to eat . I can't do it. I quickly lose motivation and eat and then gain and then lose and then gain....

Why is it so hard?

I'm a fat person stuck in a skinny body.

It's hard isn't it - finding a balance. I am the same, I yo-yo alot. My only suggestion is the calorie king site - (didn't you give me the link to it?) - you can select the maintain weight option when you fill out you inital diary thing. If you follow that for a month or so, you might get to understand what you can and can't eat to maintain you size.
    I've been to a dietician in the past - very expensive and not particualarly helpful for me really.

i got bored of CK, esp. when i started to eat junk again. It's depressive.

I love food too much.

May be i should get back onto it.

TD what kind of exercise are you doing to lose weight?

A few months ago when i was really motivated.... I was jogging for 35 mins on the treadmill for one day and the next day i was walking at a 12% incline for 30 minutes. Followed by weight training, and running for 3 mins, more weights and running for 3mins etc... I have a beautiful bulge in the arm muscles when i flex (??) them tight. I am so proud of my upper arm muscles.

I've been pretty slack and not been to the gym for a few months. I started going again only a few days ago and i can't even jog for 5 mins I'm slowly building up the minutes again. I went straight back into weight training and have been sore since. I can't raise my arm or stretch it back. I can't even put my seatbelt on in the car without screaming!
    My pecs, triceps, back are killing me.

I love treadmill work and weights.

OK, there's two ways to approach this. One, weight loss is a mystery and I have to do lots of extraordinary things. Two is I just have to do what I'm prepared to do for the rest of my life and that's the end of it.

TBH, I went with the latter. I'm not prepared to go to the gym or do lots of structured exercise. I walk a fair amount anyway because I don't drive. I AM prepared to cut down my portion sizes and the booze. That's the trade-off, for me.

I honestly don't think it's bamboozling. If you eat healthy and in smaller portions you don't have to do heaps of exercise. If you want/need your junk, yes, you're going to have to exercise heaps. It's really as simple as that.

I know I sound like a smartarse and this is coming from someone who was completely flabbergasted by their weight gain in their early to mid thirties but the simple fact was that I was eating TOOOOOO much. One of the many eye-openers for me was going to a sushi bar. The skinny people have one piece, the average people have two pieces and the overweight people (as I was at the time) have three pieces and think "that doesn't count cos it's healthy" and then have a big dinner when they get home.

I don't have much activity in my day to day life as i work in an office. Catch the train into work and back. So i need to go to the gym.

My biggest downfall is when i lose motivation to be good, I LOSE MOTIVATION. I will eat junk and crap, not exercise and eat some more because i felt guilty for eating the junk and crap in the first place.

I eat because i am bored. I eat because i love the taste and texture of food. I can't be bothered to prepared lunch for work, so i eat crappy foods. I hate exercise but know that i have to do it.

I want a few weeks of 7 days exercise and food plans. I loved Lite n Easy but it got too expensive for us for me to keep it.

I can be very focused and determined when i want to be. But i can't do it 24/7.

I hear you TD. I'm not trying to say that it IS easy, just that in theory it is easy.

The thing is, the theory doesn't change, so it's up to you whether you're going to live the theory, there's no magic bullet - if that makes sense.

Things that work for me:

Get on/off a train stop earlier to build a bit more walking into the day (I catch the train too).
    Go to somewhere further away that I wouldn't normally go for lunch.
    I have started making my own lunch, after 20 years in the workplace, mind you, mainly to save money.

But really, just much smaller portions work for me because I know that I can't sustain going to the gym to burn stuff off so I have to eat less.

Oh, and by the way, from all accounts you are a COMPLETE domestic goddess. Put a pedometer on and see how many steps you walk a day. I bet it's heaps. I can walk 10,000 steps a day even just being at home and running after DD and putting countless loads of washing on! So I bet you get loads of incidental exercise anyway.

Why can't it be easy Fiona?

I am so over it. I don't want to be big, but find being/trying/staying slim SOOOOOO hard.

You are right, i need to get off my J Lo a*se and prepare my food for work and then my J Lo a*se might become a Britney a*se.

You're right TD. I wish it was easy too. The thing is, it's not that EASY but it's not that HARD either. It's somewhere inbetween, called manageable.

As I said before, I look at it this way. I'm not prepared to do heaps of exercise and go to the gym for the rest of my life. I'm prepared to build lots of incidental exercise into my day and that's about it. Which means that I have to have smaller portions of food than I would have liked a few years ago, and far less wine ... but thats the deal.

Also, think of it this way - you know that Lite n Easy helps you lose weight. If you eat similarly to that, maybe with slightly bigger portions here and there and with the odd cake, you'll maintain your weight. Not lose, but maintain.

when you are wanting to maintain weight keep ya exercise up and keep weighing yourself weekly to keep yaself on track see how that goes