Thread: Most reliable calories burnt counter - heart rate monitor or equipment?

Default Most reliable calories burnt counter - heart rate monitor or equipment?

I am back at the gym again and have noticed there is quite a discrepancy between what calories my heart rate monitor and the gym equipment each states that I have burnt.

The heart rate monitor gives a much higher figure than the equipment.

In both cases I have to enter my height, weight and age, so each is working off the same stats.

I am just wondering which is the most reliable?

TIA Belinda.

Heart rate monitor definatly - never, ever go off the machines they're crap!

Do you know what hr you should be aiming for? If you like I can work it out for you. Just let me know your age and what you want to achieve (aeorobic conditioning or fat loss).

HTH

And BTW well done for getting a hr monitor they're invaluable - takes all the guess work out of whether or not your in "the zone"

Oooooh..... very interesting.
    I have noticed how varied the results from the machines are... its annoying!
    Thanks for that piece of info CQ! (says she who has been going off the machines lol) So how much do HR monitors cost?

Anything from $50 up to $1000's! The one i'm getting is very exxy but I can store all my clients details on it and upload them on to the comp - you don't need any of that fancy stuff. You can get a decent one for about $150

Ambah, I got my HR monitor on sale from KMart. It is a watch one, rather than chest strap. It cost me $27.99, LOL, and is still going strong...........I train with it daily.

Your heart rate monitor is the most accurate as it is going by YOUR heart rate and stats.

The machines make a guess on how heavy you and and what age, but not your level of fitness whereas your HR monitor knows your resting HR etc.

I couldn't live without my HR monitor now!