Thread: So Frustrated!

Default So Frustrated!

Bit of a vent as i need to get this off my chest but also looking for some constructive advice.

Since May i have been trying to lose weight. I have been going to the gym, eating healthy (although i do slip up sometimes) and they weight will not budge. I am sooo over it. For the last week i have been going to the gym and burning 300-500 calories at a work out and reducing my portion sizes etc and i got on the scales today and i have gained 1.2kg. What the??? Last week when i was really unmotivated and went to the gym only once i actually lost 1kg!! Grrr I just dont know what to do any more. I am so frustrated and dont know what to do any more. I want to get back to my pre preg self, I dont fit into any of my clothes in my wardrobe and feel terrible. Iv never had to lose weight in my life and feel like a complete failure about it all. Arghh!! Help please, i just dont know what to do anymore.

is it possible the gain was from gaining muscle as muscle is heavier that fat.. Also it burns more fat so i would not give up on your efforts yet

I did think that but my bmi is bordering on overweight which makes me think that my body needs to lose weight so why is it going up? I am clueless when it comes to this so i might be making a mountain out of a mole hill and be completely wrong!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Isabel B View Post
    I did think that but my bmi is bordering on overweight which makes me think that my body needs to lose weight so why is it going up? I am clueless when it comes to this so i might be making a mountain out of a mole hill and be completely wrong!!!
    i dont know if you have seen my hubbie round bb (MR SQUIDIPA) well ive learnt a lot looking at him and how things work as he has over 40 kilo to loose, I found that he was able to gain a small amount even when he has worked his but off but then the next few days he saw a loss. So i wonder if this will be you too. I know muscle weighs more than fat and you need to gain muscle to loose fat as muscle burns up fat in the body faster so it's a good thing. Hope this makes sence dont loose heart keep it up. are you weighing daily or weekly?

I am weighing weekly but sometimes slip up and weigh myself more often

ill get hubbie to read this and do a post when he is free he probably can relate and help a bit more, i also struggle with weight loss the scales dont budge here to i have just had to learn to love the new me every bump lump and stretch mark, its taken me years and im still at the learning stage. i weight 82 kilo and im 168cm tall i had not even lost my preg weight and now are pregnant again with bub number 5 11 weeks pregnant

Congratulations on your pregnancy. How exciting. I would like to lose 10kg before we start ttc number two which is why im starting to get a bit impatient with this weight loss business! After 3 months of trying to lose weight with no success im starting to think its all for nothing.

i had the same problem when I was going to gym as I was doing the wrong workout.

My PT advised me that I should be doing a minimum of 40 minutes cardio and only 20 mins of any type of light weights twice a week.

Don't know what your routine is but maybe this is the problem???

At the moment im a doing an hour or more on the treadmill, eliptical trainer and bike to burn my 300-500 calories (dh is a bit of a fitness freak so i am under his regime for a couple weeks to see if this helps). I also do a toning class once a week. I am seeing a pt on Tuesday at the gym to go through my regime also.

the reason why you gained weight this week is that you body put on some good muscle which is great for burning fat.

BMI IMO is not a good guide to whether you need to lose weight or not it does not take into account what build you are whether that be small medium or large build and that is important to take into account for wanting to be sure that you are in your healthy weight range.

it sounds like to me that you are on the right track and I would keep doing what you are doing thou i would back off just a tiny bit on the exercise.

do NOT give up keep going it will be worth it we all have those frustrating weeks where the weight does not move or it even increases you will find that next week you should have a loss again and maby a big loss.

I agree with the above. I find when I do a different exercise (e.g. jogging when I usually play soccer) firstly I hurt a lot more as I am using different muscles and I also don't lose as much that week. I put it down to developing muscles where I haven't previously focused on. It is important to measure your cms as well as that is what really counts. I measure my chest, tummy (across the belly button), hips and thighs. It is an added motivator for the weeks when the kgs don't go down and you know you have been working hard. BTW your weight will go up and down over your menstrual cycle as well, as well as if you are taking extra (or less) fluids.
    Hope this helps! You will see a difference soon!

I hear ya- I have been working my butt off this year trying to loose weight, counting calories, working out with a PT 3x a week etc and I have managed to budge 10kg- I know that is still a fairly decent weight loss, but I still feel a little ripped of that I have put in so much work and not seen better results.
    I take comfort in the fact now though that I am soooooooooooooooooooooo much fitter and healthier than I have ever been, I have dropped some cm's and that I am actualley making an effort to do something about my weight. Ideally I would like to loose 5 more kgs before we start TTC later this year, but I am not sure if I will get there or not.

I guess the goal is to just keep on keeping on, sometimes we have to just accept the fact that our bodies change post baby- think of the positive effects of all that excercise and healthy eating, instead of focusing on the lack of weight loss! Good Luck

Thanks for the replies guys. I know i should be thinking more about my health as you say Ali, but I guess after being a person who never really had to worry about her weight pre baby to being in a situation now where i am struggling to get back to being somewhat happy with my body, its just hard. I am currently at the end of my menstral cycle so perhaps thats why i have all of a sudden gained weight.

the main thing is just to keep going and dont give up look forwards to next weeks weigh in