Thread: Using A Heart Rate Monitor To Record Calorie Burning?

Default Using A Heart Rate Monitor To Record Calorie Burning?

Does anyone do this?

I am not dieting... I don't diet. But I have recently bought a Heart rate Monitor and as well as showing how fast my heart is beating (at the moment it is 90bpm) it shows a continuous reading of the calories that I have burned since putting on my monitor. So far today i have burned 693. This data is based on my personal stats of weight/height/age/sex that I had to enter into my HRM when i first got it. Obviously the faster your heart beats the more calories you burn over a period of time.

Anyhow like I said, it would be a handy tool for someone who is trying to lose weight I guess. I got a bit of surprise though when i realised that my daily school runs (4km of brisk walking pushing a pram) only burns off the equivalent of 2 cups of coffee. I would have thought doing that would have burnt off more. Lucky I don't drive as I add cream to those coffees too!
    Last edited by Bathsheba; May 26th, 2009 at 11:37 AM. Reason: spelling

I don't Bath - but i have floated the idea past DH... hinted at getting one similar to yours He laughed and told me to calculate it myself I think it can be helpful although they say that to lose weight you should work on a basic "needs" amount and then work on consuming less or doing more exercise. I do rely on the calorie function on my treadmill - I watch how many I'm burning during a session.

I would imagine it could be motivating... I can really see the difference of how many calories I burn when I am active compared to when i am being sedentary. I'm just amazed at how much you have to burn equivalent to the types of foods I eat LOL I am shocking, I should be the size of a house. As well as my coffee I had a croissont with tomato and grilled cheese for brekkie yesterday... if a cup of coffee with cream is over 600 calories I would hate to think what that brekkie was!!! I love croissants... have at least one per week. I've signed up with Calorie King because everyone seems to say it's fantastic... and I agree, it looks pretty nifty... I'm hoping to get a better idea of the calorie value of the things I do eat for when my thyroid settles down and I find that the weight isn't falling off as easily. It's not like I am thin... Calorie King's calculations say I don't need to lose weight
    .... my issue is that it accumulates in hard to lose places like my butt! My waist is thin... but obviously you can't choose where to lose it! If I tried to lose weight off my butt i would just end up with bony shoulders... so at the end of the day i think I am happy to have the big butt and at least be able to wear clothes that don't make me look scrawny up top. I'm not really pear shaped.... my shoulders are broad... but I don't think it would matter how much i dieted, my shape will always just be my shape. I guess it's more important that I feel fit... which I kinda do... especially aerobically.

MG: I bought the last red Polar watch in Melbournes CBD LOL I suspect that model might be drawing to a close. I'm sure it will be replaced by one just as pretty (the guy at Rebel said it's been very popular) though.

ETA: oh and I'm having an ECG tomorrow at my GP's. Because apparently he rang back last Monday night when I was at my First Aid course... said he has thought that getting a baseline ECG would be good to have after hearing that I was concerned about reaching 180 bpm so easily/regularly.
    Last edited by Bathsheba; May 29th, 2009 at 12:21 PM.

Oh Bath! You're breaking my heart!!! I won't be getting one until I know if I have a new contract or not. If I do, I'm getting one. Hehe. Won't know for at least a month though.

It is amazing how much it takes to burn foods we eat. But keep in mind, just breathing requires energy. So, if you're having more than your min required calories, it is something to think about when comparing expenditure to intake. You could do toning exercises to target certain areas - this will build muscle in those areas which burns more fat.

Glad to hear you're GP is doing an ECG. It will def give an idea of what is happening. I am wondering if your HRM is picking up extra beats - esp if you get low followed by high followed by low readings. I see that happen a lot at work on our monitors when people are in recovery. You might get asked to do a stress test too... Let me know how your ECG goes...

Awww... I don't want to break your heart! Hey what about putting one on layby? Then either way you can either pay it off sloowly if you don't get the contract or quickly if you do? But even if you don't do that I reckon they will most likely put out an even prettier one soon and I'll be the one envying you! LOL

I don't think DH will be happy if I layby one... esp since he is destined to get the one I'm currently using! I can wait...

We still have to have that coffee hon! Maybe on a weekend? Or even a Tuesday? I'll PM you...