Thread: Weightloss and exercise post baby

Default Weightloss and exercise post baby

It has only been 3 weeks since I had my little man, so I am not stressing too much over weightloss just yet, but in saying that I am at my heaviest I have ever been, being about 89kg and only 165cm tall. That's pretty heavy. And I'm really unhappy with what I seein the mirror. And uncomfortable.
    Now I know its not important at the moment, we are still settling in with DS, but I would like to know what I can do now to begin being healthier. I am trying to make an effort to eat well, not just for me , but for DS since we are fully bfing at the moment. What else can I do? I had a pretty 'easy' birth (if you can call birth easy!) and have stitches for a tear, but that's it. Can I do exercise yet? If so what could I do keeping in mind I have two babies under 16mths.

ETA I should probably add that my core muscles and even just major muscles (thighs,calves,arms...) are REALLY weak, so anything that will strengthen them first would probably be best! And I have 3 flights of stairs to go up and down with 2 babies.....

Last edited by MrsFabuloso; September 7th, 2008 at 02:05 PM.

Kel,

I think that those stairs will get your blood pumping!

In terms of exercising, are you able to walk with both of them easily? Double stroller? That would be my suggestion initially. 30 mins a day to start off with, just to get into the habit/routine. ( I was walking directly after giving birth to Charlie, with no ill effects)

Do they both sleep at a similar time occasionally? Once you have had your 6 week check, maybe a pilates or fitball routine on DVD? Something that will strengthen your core, but be quick and easy to manage at home, around them?

And as for the healthy eating bizzo........I remember being permanantly hungry when I was BF'ing....so I always made sure I made lots of rounds of healthy (tuna was a huge fave) sandwiches so that if all else failed, I always could chomp on a healthy snack when BF'ing.........worse thing was crumbs falling on my babies, LOL!

They say you only need an additional 400 cals when BF'ing........so 1600 all up a day. Maybe have a look at Calorie King (google it, its free) and see how your current healthy eating fits in with that? Then you'll know if you can make adjustments?

Good luck!

I'm with Lucy and the walking although I think 1600 cals wouldn't be enough for me. I found that planning what I will eat makes a big diff and ensures that I eat properly. I plan sort of like this:
    Breakfast
    Porridge or
    weetbix or
    baked beans on toast or
    eggs on toast
    with a piece of fruit

Morning tea
    crackers
    yoghurt
    fruit
    crumpets

Lunch
    Tuna and cott cheese on crackers
    Vegie soup (I make a batch every Sat to do me for the week)
    Salad with four bean mix

Planning then takes away the "what will I have?" and leaving it till I am starving and eat anything. Same with snacks- have them ready. Portion out dried fruit, nuts, crackers etc in little bags, wash and cut up salad and fruit for the day so it is ready etc. I also plan every evening meal for the week and use it to write out my shopping list so I only go grocery shopping once a week.
    Also, I make sure I eat some leafy greens every day (with dinner or salad at lunch) and fresh fish once a week and tuna or salmon a few other times as I think these are important for breastfeeding and brain development. Nuts are great too and very nutritious.

Kellie I'm the same but im seven months down the track at 95kg at the same height... i just havent been able to kick it yet. I think it largely contributes to my PND as well =/
    When I put my details into Calorie King I was told with breastfeeding I should have a 2000 Calorie Diet - for someone who isnt in the habit of eating breakfast or lunch, its a really big ask to increase calorie intake to that amount.

I will be wathcing this thread with interest and let me know nif you find my motivation

I was 90kg when I had Emily (I'm the same height as you). In the 2 months after having Emily, I was fortunate enough to drop down to 74kg without doing anything except sensible eating and breastfeeding. But I couldn't budge below 74kg. 4 weeks ago I joined the gym (Curves) and it's the best thing I've ever done. I had absolutely no motivation to exercise. Even getting out the front door to take the girls for a walk was a hassle for me. But I just got to the stage in my life where I looked in the mirror and absolutely hated what I saw. I can still remember being 57kg only 4 years ago.
    Seeing as you have 2 under 16 months, it might be a little hard for you to join the gym, unless you've got your partner or family to mind the kids for an hour at the most each day.
    Other things you can try are walking or swimming (maybe taking your older one swimming lessons).

Good luck with it all.

If you can find the time & the weather is OK get out walking with the pram. Don't venture out far at first though or you could find it's hard to make your way back.

I too am overweight after having my second baby. I am 159cm tall and weighed in at 81kg. I could not fit into any of my clothes and got sick of wearing long baggy t shirts and bike pants every where so decided to do something about it. I live in Cairns in FNQ so have the beuty of having lots of free fitness things to do around me so my sister in law who had her baby a day before me and I go and do our esplanade 3 times a week which is a 5klm walk and we do the red arrow twice a week which is a 1.2klm grueling walk up a steep hill with mostly stairs. So far i have lost 3 kg over about 4 weeks so am now down to 78kg. I too joined Calorie King and I think it is great i wake up in the morning and plan my meals and enter them into calorie king it has kept me motivated and has kept me from slipping up. Good luck with it all and be sure to keep us posted on your progress.

Quote Originally Posted by cookiemonster View Post
    When I put my details into Calorie King I was told with breastfeeding I should have a 2000 Calorie Diet - for someone who isnt in the habit of eating breakfast or lunch, its a really big ask to increase calorie intake to that amount.

This could be a big factor in why you're not losing weight CM. You should ideally be eating every 3-4 hours. You need to kick start your metabolism. If you don't eat breakfast or lunch you are far more likely to over-eat later and eat the wrong things. Your metabloism slows down while you sleep to conserve energy and if you don't wake it up in the morning with breakfast then it won't be at an optimum level.

HAve to take the kids to school now, but i'll be happy to answer any questions

Im hearing you on being the heaviest ever. Summer last year was sooo hard

I found that around the time that MJ was 5 months old the weight started to come off easier.
    I am almost at pre pg weight (but dont look it, i have the suspicous looking tyre that has wedged itself under my skin!)

I try and go for an hour's walk 3 times a week, sometimes more and only recently i have set my alarm to get up before MJ and DH and i do a pilates DVD or hop on the wii fit for 30 mins.

Try not to drop your intake like the other girls have said as your BM will suffer...
    Its not like when you are pg where the baby will take what it needs, if your dont eat or drink enough your supply will be affected.

Rememebr the weight goes on in 9 months, so dont expect it to come off quickly ... 9months on 9 months off - thats my rule

Yep, I too am the heaviest ever - I've put on 15 kilos since our wedding in march 07. I am 166cm and weighed in at 93kg last week - i was horrified! I had gone dress shopping the weekend before for a bridesmaid dress for a wedding we are in in Jan and was at least 2 sizes bigger, so that was the kcik up the butt I needed.
    That week, I joined Weightwatchers online and so far, so good. I've been doing it for 2 weeks now. They have a special allowance for breastfeeding mums - so if you do the points plan, you get an extra 7 points (or it could be 9, can't remember!) and some days, I struggle to eat all the points - which they stress you must do if you are breastfeeding. Because its online, I log in in the morning and plan my meals for the day - they have heaps of foods stored on there so you don't have to work anything out yourself, they also have recipes as well, and then as the day progresses, I add in any snacks. You can earn bonus points if you exercise as well. I'm finding it pretty easy to stick to, and seem to eat plenty. I've done it before and i find its a great way as it makes you think about portion sizes and healthy choices.

Wow, thanks ladies!!

I have officially started today, LOL! I am finding time hard to come by at the moment, so exercise isn't at the top of my list just yet, but I am eating healthy foods. I am just eating when hungry at the moment and stopping when full and drinking lots of water, so I don't know how many kj's or whatever I'm having. We'll see how we go this way first.
    I weighed my self yesterday and I'm down another 2kg's and that's just with cutting out chocolate and dairy (amongst other things for DS, he gets colicky when I eat them), so I guess I'm on the right path...

SammyRo, I have done weight watchers before and they are great, I've lost 8kgs with them before. But it's too expensive at the moment for us. I just can't afford it, but I have some of their recipe books and mags, so I will use their recipes.

Good Luck to all of you who are trying to lose weight, it's a long hard journey, but so worth it in the end!!

magisana Guest

Wow, I feel so much better reading all of your posts! I've just had my third baby 3 weeks ago via a c-section and I have to say I am getting a little stressed over the whole body image! I know it's silly and I shouldn't but I just can't help it. I've had 2 natural births and never had this pouch over hang thing! I am really concerned about it as the rest of my stomach has returned reasonably flat except for the lower part. This is my first C-Section and I was wondering if there are any other mums who have the same and have been able to get there stomach to return. Also I went into this pregnancy carrying an extra 10kgs from Bub 2, so technically I've only gained 5 kgs this 3rd pregnancy but I am so uncomfortable and my legs look like jelly there so full of cellulite! I weigh 75kgs and I want to get down to 55kg, slowly of course. I've been debating about whether to join weight watchers or calorie king and buy there software as I feel that I really need to monitor that I am not overeating or not eating enough. Can anyone please give me some advice... sorry about the big spiel, I am just so glad that I've found other mums who seem to have the same probs as me and that Iam not alone. By the way I am fully breastfeeding and I've found in the past I tend to find it harder to lose weight, but maybe that's all in my mind, as Iam a natural stresser.

Also what do you think about doing pilates for toning the body up and strengthening the core muscles and general all over body toning. Anyone seen the Malibu Pilates Chair as I am considering buying this for my future exercise, I am planning on walking to get my fitness up first, but I've been told to wait til I've seen the doc, due to a large amount of blood loss at the time of birth. I know I can't do it yet as I am still recovering from the C-Section and will admit I am still very tender, I just want to start planning so this time I have a goal that I can aim to achieve. Thanks for listening ladies.
    Last edited by magisana; October 4th, 2008 at 09:54 AM.

I was still getting around in my maternity jeans 3 months after DS was born and it was so depressing. But suddenly the weight just did start to come off.

What probably helped is that I was exclusively breastfeeding and found through a process of elimination that I could not have 1 square of chocolate without giving DS wind. Icecream had the same effect. Couldn't have caffeine, he woudn't settle to sleep. Processed food - more wind, hard to settle. I probably had the best diet I had ever had. No alcohol whatsoever. Nothing like having a choice between sleep or a certain food...sleep won every time.

Eat well, utilise the pram! Go for lots of walks. Good for you and bub to get out in the fresh air. When you are feeling stronger, if your baby is a good sleeper, maybe try some free weight exercise during a nap. A pilates or yoga class on the weekend when Daddy is around to look after baby?

Magisana,
    I wouldn't worry just yet about your weight, especially after a c/s. I knwo it's hard not to, I can't help myself either. But you won't really be able to do all that much physically for another few weeks yet. You need to take care of yourself physically, a c/s is major surgery. And also having lost alot of blood, you won't have alot of energy to burn, you need it all to look after bub. You can eat well, but I wouldn't be limiting my food yet if I were you again cause you need all that energy to recover.
    I can't say I know how you feel since I haven't had a c/s, but I do have a terrible body image at the moment and really don't like my post pregnancy body, but I don't think exercise is going to get rid of the baby belly, on a miracle, or plastic surgery will do that!
    Good luck, but take it easy

ETA, Curly, I'm the same- no chocolate, dairy, processed food, take away all for the sake of sleep and bub's health......I'm losing weight just cause I can't eat anythign yummy, LOL! (I'm down to 84.3kgs, yay!!!!)
    Last edited by MrsFabuloso; October 4th, 2008 at 10:29 AM. Reason: ETA

jus_isabelle Guest

Reducing weight is not a problem now.Previously due to lack of appropriate measures it was difficult to reduce the weight but now anyone can do it. Only the thing required is that some accurate and useful measures to be taken so as to reduce the fats in the body.These days a self improving company Mark Patrick Media LLC specializing in Weight Management & Smoking Cessation is running various programs in order to make the people more fit.The programs are just incredible and a new way to get better health. I think you must go through it Mark Patrick Media atleast once and hope you will get a perfect body figure.