Thread: Weightwatcher Meetings

Default Weightwatcher Meetings

Hi everyone,

Just want your general opinion on this, because I'm really not sure about the best way forward.

I started going to Weightwatchers about a month ago, and have lost 2 kgs (it would have been 3, but I had a great weekend last weekend )

I'm losing the weight to give myself every chance when we go through IVF again in November. I know last weekend I needed to go out for other reasons, and I will get back on the bandwagon this week.

My FS said to go somewhere like WW because you can get support through the meetings.

However I am finding the meetings incredibly frustrating.

But I'm not sure whether it's because I'm being incredibly arrogant, or that they are inherantly frustrating. I don't want to give up and slide back into putting weight on again. But I don't want to waste my time with something that isn't beneficial.

What did others think that have used this program??

PS - if this isn't appropriate please move/delete thread - I won't be offended...just let me know.

Jodie259 Guest

I worked at Weight Watchers as a helper for years and years... and I completely understand what you mean by the meetings.

It's a catch 22 with me. I found them quite boring, and after years of going to meetings - there was nothing I didn't know about weight loss. lol
    But I found that if I didn't go to the meetings; I was not as successful in losing the weight. Not sure why.

The leaders can make a huge difference too. I've experienced some absolute shocker leaders. And others that have been incredibly motivational.

You are under no obligation to stay for the meetings. So maybe you should take a break from them, and just get weighed, get your books and leave. Or go to a meeting each alternative week.

If you think it may be a leader issue - you could see if there are any other meetings nearby or other days/nights with different leaders... and try them out. You can roll up to any meeting, anywhere. If you really like another meeting, you ask for your card to be transferred over.

And if you don't go to meetings, you can always get support on the Weight Watchers website forum. When I was losing weight, I found that really helpful, as they were all going through the same programme.

Congratulations on your weight loss so far!

Hi Gargy,

Firstly I'd like to congratulate you on the weight you've already lost... its hard to lose weight, even 500 grams!

Secondly I'd like to share the only bit of experience I have with WW....

I have had 2 girlfriends go through WW & they both told me they didnt like the weigh ins (is that the same as a meeting?) Anyway one stopped going, she continued to eat the WW food from the supermarket & count points etc but she did put weight back on. My other friend seems to have lost a good amount of weight. So from my experience (or my friends' experiences) the weigh ins may be boring or frustrating but I think they serve a purpose. Now this may not happen to you but it did to my friend.

I wish you all the luck in the world!! You're such a lovely person & I enjoyed our chats last weekend at the dinner

I'm hoping to see a BFP for you in November... good luck!

Congratulations on losing weight!! I've done the WW program in the past. I lost about 10kg on it but then gave it up due to long hrs at work & never got back into it....I'm now going down the p/trainer path & giving that a shot instead.

I too found the meetings very boring....I just found it silly listening to everything I already knew.
    My mum did WW for a year and lost 33kg. I think you either love the meetings or you don't. She found the meetings very valuable part of the program but also took a couple of leaders to find one to really connect with. I think the leader really makes the difference as some push their success pointers too much & don't take the time to listen to you. I had one leader that was very Kerry-Ann Kennelly type of character!!! SOOO not a help!

If you can find a 'buddy' to go with, it can make it more enjoyable and tolerable to sit through the meetings. But as Jodie said, you don't have to sit through the meetings. In a way I think you get more out of the meetings after you've been going for a while, especially once you've started to drop a bit of weight as you become more motivated.

Good luck with your weight-loss journey

But I'm not sure whether it's because I'm being incredibly arrogant, or that they are inherantly frustrating
    Why exaxctly do you find them frustrating?

Just curious, becasue, I had to force myself to go and I found the leader in one meeting a shocke (really patronising and treated everyone like a child!), but another leader I had a lot more time for!

I lost a stack of weight on WW, and the weigh ins and the meetings (despite my boredom at times!) kept me honest and kept me motivated.......

I were on ww before I got pg and lost about 8kg and for the first time in my life I was below 70kg! I have just started again on Monday - need to lose 10kg of pg fat.
    I find the meetings great, but I have a excellent group leader! She is very caring and I get the personal attention that I need to motivate myself. She aslo has a new flyer every week that she type herself with ideas, info and even something comical So I agree that it depends on the group leader.
    I am with WW because I need the group to motivate me, I can't do it alone. WW was the first program that worked for me and it was the first time that the kg's stayed off (exept for getting pg!!)

I didn't like going to meetings either, but I went with my sister as she really needed to loose weight to have another baby. This time, I am doing it online. The website is great and I weigh myself every week at home and enter in online. It does keep me motivated, and I have my DH doing it with me now too!

We have a lovely leader at ours but i don't stay all the time for meetings because i have to take 3kids with me and they don't cater for you taking kids along.

I haven't done WW, but a similar things that had weekly meetings and weighins.
    I found it was the fact that I had to go to the meeting and weigh in that motivated me more than the content of the meeting itself which I often found quite boring (again not a WW meeting though)
    I agree, the leader could make all of the difference.

As others have said though you could do WW online or WW at home?

Hi eveyone,

Thanks to everyone for the encouragement!! I'll lose the weight yet!!

To answer your question Lucy...

The meetings last for about 45 minutes - and I'm usually waiting around for 1/2 hour after weigh in before the meeting starts so I'm there for 1.15 mins (maybe I should get there later, so I don't feel like I'm wasting so much time...)

My question about arrogance is the fact that I've been a trainer for adults and I am school teacher, and the leader's presentation drives me NUTTSSSS!! I keep sitting there thinking how I would redesign things so that it would be better and involve more people...

I also got slightly irritated that when I put on weight, and made a joke about it - ie that at least I'd had fun, I was told that I was not entitled to any reward and I was ignored for the rest of the session (ie the leader had no sense of humour...)

Also a number of the people attending annoy me also:
    - one really dominates the conversation so that it is all about her
    - one talks about the same issue week after week.
    - one talks about points as though it is an obsession/cult.
    - there is very much a cliche of older members (which is fine, I haven't been going long) but I felt very isolated yesterday.

HOWEVER I am aware that I could also be using these annoyances to convince myself not to go, and be completely shooting myself in the foot.

Amy,

I've had a go twice at Weightwatchers, but never stayed long term. The first time was with a work collegue but it didn't last terribly long as she changed jobs and I was only really going to accompany her.

I did go with my Mum years ago, but I felt this time around I was better doing it on my own (Mum was even less tolerant of the meetings than I was, and this was at a different place).

JoMarie and Jodie,

I have bought the on-line version - I just haven't had time to look at it yet - maybe I should think about doing it this way.

Thanks everyone for responding!! I'll still have to think about what to do...

Jodie259 Guest

Whatever you decide to do... just stick with the programme.... and you will reap the benefits. If you get the chance to try another meeting - do that.

And meetings should be 30 minutes of weigh-in time, then 30 minute meeting straight after. And people get weighed during the meeting time too. So if the 'opening' time is 7pm, meeting should start at 7.30pm. I would suggest you get there at the start of the meeting time, when there is not much queue to line up to get weighed, and you can decide whether to stay for the meeting or not.

It's a hard call with the participation. I know that lots of people hate to get involved, or even chat with other members. Yet others find it really helpful and creates a great friendly atmosphere when you get to know the other members.

I remember this one member in my group who was the most miserable, condescending woman ever! She was in the army - (like a sargeant or something)... and she spoilt the whole meeting for me. So I can understand what you're feeling.

Hey Jodie,

That's what also worries me - that I am also coming across as condescending and miserable (I mean, the weight didn't magically appear - I did make choices)

I will DEFINITELY stick with the program. Next week, I will go to the meeting, but if it annoys me again, I'll try either online or another meeting.

Thanks everyone - I'm glad I'm not the only one that got frustrated.

IKWYM about the meetings being frustrating. I have tried WW a couple of times and didn't really lose much, I did much better on my own using their system and ended up losing over 20kgs. I think the thing that helped me is that I had a friend who was trying to lose weight at the same time so we still weighed in once a week and were accountable to eachother, but didn't have to go to the meetings or spend the time or money on them.

Each to their own though, after this baby I'll have another 15 to lose after two close pregnancies, so you never know, I might be back at the meetings (lol)

Spring x

My question about arrogance is the fact that I've been a trainer for adults and I am school teacher, and the leader's presentation drives me NUTTSSSS!! I keep sitting there thinking how I would redesign things so that it would be better and involve more people...
    That was exactly my problem too. (I am not a teacher, but have worked in learning & development roles prior to having a family.....)......so I empathise, I really do...........its hard, because if you are "in the game" (of training etc) you probably end up focusing on their presentation faults, rather than the actual message!

You never know, maybe the solutionm would be to lose the weight that you want to lose, become a life time member yourself and then offer your services!

Best of luck either way!

Gargy, I'd try a different meeting. I've been successful with WW a few times when I've needed to lose weight (first time I lost 20kg and it seriously did change my life. Corny I know, but it's true I promise!) and some meetings are definately better than others. Once I got going I would often just weight in and skip some meetings but like some others have said, once i stopped going all together I lost my motivation so it's really important you keep going! Maybe give a meeting on a different day a go or just stay for every second meeting to keep your sanity!

I have a feeling I'll be going back and doing the breastfeeding program once this bub is born

Hey everyone,

Went to the meeting again tonight and had lost 0.7. Just decided to go when the meeting started rather than waiting around, and went to the library next door after I finished.

Thanks everyone for your help - if it gets too annoying I'll keep your tips in mind.

Jodie259 Guest

Woo Hoo for .7kg.

that's a good loss.

Keep up the good work. You will look amazing, and feel fantastic.

thanks for the update.