Thread: What to do when you just can't stop eating junk?!

Default What to do when you just can't stop eating junk?!

So, I'm trying to loose weight. No surprise there, the ground shakes when I walk... (ok, so no not really, but I'm fat lol).

My problem. I LOVE the taste of McDonalds (one near me is always fresh and super yummy), KFC, Hungry Jacks, Nandos and all the other really bad for you junk food.

Unfortunately, I grew up on a very limited food palette. My mum fed me dinner consisting of chops, peas, cold carrot and a glass of milk. EVERY night. A special night was sausages, peas, cold carrot and a glass of milk. A SUPER special night was veal snitzel, peas, cold carrot and a glass of milk.

So, there's a lot of foods I just don't like the taste of. This makes it very boring, and hard to stick to good food. As a result of this, and being tired, lazy, busy, etc... I 'cave' and 'just get' take away.

Any tips you lovely ladies can give me to avoid the junk?

Move! We moved and are now half an hour from our nearest McD's, KFC etc.

prior to that though, i always need encouragement which DH is pretty good at, so I managed to behave myself with help from him.

Unfortunately moving is not an option.

And neither is getting help from DH. Coz his 'help' is usually what sends me running to the nearest drive through in the first place.

You could still go, but just pick different options. Macca's has the salads now and they are not too bad. I thought Nando's was pretty good, I like their chicken breast in pita bread, just avoid the chips. Well HJ's and KFC are a bit harder. You could maybe treat yourself at the places, just order the kiddie size meal.

I get so temped by them, but that is mainly due to drive through, or at least better parking than most places. If I am hungry and bubs is asleep I will sometimes go through Macca's drive through and just grab one of those small snack wraps to carry me through till I get home.

Perhaps set yourself a challenge/goal to try one new meal/food a week. And instead of having take away 4 nights a week (purely an example number, I have no idea how often you buy take away), try having it only 3 nights. Gradually cut back your take away and increase the foods you're cooking. Try to have your new foods as healthier options.

If you're going to go out for a meal, try something different on the menu that you think you could recreate at home. If you like it, make your own version at home. It will be much better for your waistline and your pocket

I'm not sure how "close", close is to these fast food places for you, but perhaps walk there if you really have to have it. The walk will help counteract the calories and may also act as a deterrent to going in the first place!

If you're having take away as a quick meal because you haven't the time/energy to cook, perhaps think of some quick meals you could do instead. Such as frozen fish and veg. Or an omlette, or scrambled eggs, or toasted sandwhich.

Good luck hon.

MG

Would knowing what is really in it turn you off it, as in calories, fat, salt etc...I read the lable on a cheese burger one day and the amount of fat and stuff in it turned me off, I also thought if there's so much in a cheese burger imagine what's in a quater pounder, which is what I normally have! DH was saying to me at the same time that when he first met me I could barely get through a medium cheese burger meal, and now I can devour a medium quater pounder as well as a chocolate sundae half an hour or so afterwards...that has REALLY turned me off fast foods too, just the fact that it has made me sooo fat and unhappy and such a glutton!
    We also have Maccas, KFC, Nandos, and Oporto within a km of our house, as well as coles and woolies (where I used to get my chocolate and icecream fixes!!). I have made the rule if I want it I walk for it. That means having to get the kids and me ready, drag them down three flights of stairs, having to spend my own money on it, as well as something for DD. And I really hate giving DD fast foods, but can't exactly not give her any if I eat it too. She has started to say 'chips' whenever we go past Maccas now cause we were going too often. That was one of the biggest turn offs for me. It's so unhealthy and I want her to be healthy.
    I just don't eat it now. I don't go there because I want to be healthy, I want my children to be healthy. I don't have it unless DH is with me, and then I will get a small meal, or try to get a healthy option and water to drink. You really don't need as much food as is in a medium meal. Imagine it all on a plate, it would be a huge meal! And so much carbs!! Besides the fat, salt yada yada....I love maccas chicken salads and the tandoori rolls. KFC wraps are ok. Or I will go to subway or a sandwich bar.

Smile

I had the same problem!! my fav was maccas mcchicken lol i changed that into a filletofish burger, or sometimes i wouldnt get the chips n i changed my usual coke to a diet coke. maybe u could try this? its worked pretty well for me oh & hungry jacks grilled chicken burger is better 2 n its pretty good
    Last edited by Pink+blue; March 1st, 2009 at 07:35 PM. Reason: adding

exercise! I find that whenever I exercise, I actually lose all desire for junk and actually crave healthy stuff.

Otherwise, if you can afford it, maybe do "lite'n'easy" which means you always have food there for yourself at least.

Ah, funny there was a thread in general chatter discussing this kind of repercussion to parental food neurosies. Its a struggle and given the history you shouldnt feel at fault here. There is so much food, so much yummy delicious food that when you become free to get it yourself, saying no to yourself is cruel and unusual punishment. My kids have had maccas, but its a "Trip treat" when we go on long drives - primarily interstate. Although we did cave and buy them burger king when a storm knocked out our power for 12 hours before we had started dinner. Doh.

We keep them interested in food by mixing it up. We buy the same meats and vegies - we just cook it so many different ways. It may work as its a whole new bunch of tastes for you to love. My kids always get excited when they smell Beef Stroganoff or Osso Bucco. You can create and adapt a whole slew of recipies too - I changed a simple tea cake to Sultana and Goji. They took it to school as play lunches and had to hide in corners to eat it because apparently it was a real hit at school (Goji juice is extremely tasty, just got to find the right person not trying to run a huge money making scheme off of it). I have an account at allrecipes which you can put in the ingredients that you have and it tells you a bunch of recipes you can make with it.

Basically - expand your pallete. There are more amazing and wonderful tastes waiting to meet you, so I highly recommend seeking them out! In a choice between a happy meal and a freshly made stroganoff - my whole family will pick the strog.