Thread: Carpet in car stinks of Petrol

Default Carpet in car stinks of Petrol

So DH was being 'handy' on the weekend and decided to get some more petrol for our lawnmower. Unfortunately he took a jerry can with a small leak in it and the carpet in the boot of the car got some petrol on it.

The car STINKS!!! and with an especially sensitive nose at the moment I cannot even sit in it. We have been airing it constantly, I have used carpet cleaner, bi carb soda mix, Fabreeze, glen 20 and eve went to the carwash to use the fragrances there and nothing so far has taken away the smell.

I am desperate for some ideas and solutions as I spend around 2 hours a day in the car and I am totally miserable at the moment with the cold snap and every window in the car open when I am driving to help me breathe.

Default Re: Carpet in car stinks of Petrol

Not sure if this will work but it worked for me when my nephew spewed in our car.

I put fresh mint, as in covered the seat, in the car over night then kept changing it every day or so until the smell improved.

Just googled and found these ideas. Google and you will see that there are many solutions, just need to find one that will work for you.

A good tip, one that truckers have been using for a while, is to add ground coffee mix directly on the spot and leave them there for a week or so. The reason for that is that coffee contains a series of oils that absorb odors. There is no need for expensive coffee, even the cheapest brand will do and it won't even leave a stain on the carpet, so there is no danger.

Another odor-neutralizing substance is baking soda, and lots of it too. Sprinkle on the spot and leave overnight. The next day, brush it off and then you can vacuum the rest. The smell should be gone, and you're free to drive around all day without feeling sick to your stomach.

I spilled gasoline in the trunk of my car. I solved the odor problem by laying newspaper over the carpet where it was spilled. The paper absorbed the odor and there was no stain to even see where it was spilled. The problem was solved!

Perfect, thanks so much for the suggestions. I have a layer of baking soda in the car as we speak so fingers crossed it helps.