Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Confessions of an Un-domestic Goddess

Default Re: Confessions of an Un-domestic Goddess

Let's just say DH didn't marry me for my domestic skills!

We have a cleaner once a week. She does our bathrooms, mops and vacuums and then anything else she has time for.

My dad calls my bedroom the 'Chinese laundry' I have about 5 baskets of washing to fold. DH likes washing, but won't fold it.

I have 5 baskets to sort the washing into. We sort into whoever's clothes each basket and then the kids put theirs away for 50 cents each and DH and I do ours. They are never folded, and I don't iron except for uniforms (which DH usually does because he has to iron his own uniform for work).

I only washed up today because I had run out of space to wash dishes as I needed them, because the sink was so full of dirty dishes. There is a bowl of food in my fridge which has been there for WEEKS and I don't know what it is, and I'm just going to throw the whole bowl out because I'm too scared/disgusted to look in it.

My darling boys threw my mop head onto the roof of the house over 2 months ago. I haven't missed it.

I went away for a week and while I was gone my Mum and sister cleaned my house for me.

Today my Mum returned a basket full of washing she had taken home to wash for me. I was surprised. She asked did I not notice the missing washing basket? Nope.

My mum comes over occasionally to help me clean. Well, she comes over to visit and ends up cleaning even when I ask her not to
    Thing is, when I thank her, she always says "but I haven't even made a dent in it!" and I always think "my house looks almost spotless!" Somehow the clean freak gene missed me...

We live out of our washing baskets .
    Bedroom's a mess, nursery's a mess, living room is a mess until 5 mins before someone's coming over .
    Haven't steam mopped the floors since...I don't even remember...but they're seriously due with Eid around the corner.
    Always leaving dishes to the next day .
    Lots of little handyman jobs needed to be done around the house. Toilet flush has been broken for a few months now, no sign of it being fixed anytime soon either.

Considering an idea I saw on fb where you put get well cards addressed to yourself up on the mantle or coffee table so when unexpected guests arrive they think you've been too sick to clean .

I best join in here. Sometimes I even move the kids to an appropriate spot to stand for a photo :/ or do a quick tidy first.

I have been getting better as the kids get older though. I generally keep on top of washing (not folding) & dishes. Most of my house just needs a 'quick tidy'. Kids rooms need a little more tlc.

Do you think it's a generational thing? I never remember my mum letting our house get messy, and she worked 14 hour days, 6 days a week. How did she do it??

My side of the bedroom is a disaster! I have a pile of clothes that comes up to my hip... I clean it twice a year (when we have big parties at our house and I can't guarantee the bedroom door will stay closed). Don't even ask about our ensuite...

Default Confessions of an Un-domestic Goddess

Quote Originally Posted by CoNNiE_Melb View Post
    Do you think it's a generational thing? I never remember my mum letting our house get messy, and she worked 14 hour days, 6 days a week. How did she do it??
    My observation (with baby boomer parents) is that we have more "stuff" to jam into our house and more complicated lifestyles (eg, I commute 4-8 times longer every day than my parents ever did, not to mention that I *must* work to keep us out of penury since one wage no longer cuts it). Plus i have higher expectations of what I want out of life. My house might not be so squeeky clean, but I'm well on my way to finishing a uni degree.

Also, back in the day, my mum did that housework. All of it. Part of the reason my house looks ahem "cosy" some of the time is because my DH does some of that work, to his standards. I decided a long time ago that it was not my mission in life to follow around a man, re-doing things while he blissfully (and in the manner of men since the beginning of time) assumes that it is his effort that has made it so. So there might be mess, but it's honest, feminist-minded mess.

So that's my confession: I have honest, feminist-minded mess.

Quote Originally Posted by ~clover~ View Post
    I best join in here. Sometimes I even move the kids to an appropriate spot to stand for a photo :/ or do a quick tidy first.
    Yes, this. I have some great photos of my kids that I just won't share on facebook/email because of the pigsty behind them! Spontaneous photos don't happen very often around here - I always make the kids move to a certain wall haha ;o

Today's confession: I got the iron out last week and DD (5yo) asked what it was.

ETA: I love you all, my fellow un-domestic goddesses.

I think this thread is for me too! I washed the dishes last night. They get done weeklyish. If dh does them lol. The bathroom was cleaned last month I think. I do not vacuum or mop. Ever. Dh does that. I do keep on top of the washing. I fold as I take them off the line. If for some reason that doesn't happen it takes several days to get to it. Dh cooks. And mows the lawn. Beds do not get made unless I'm changing the sheets. I do sometimes pull them up. Meh. I work. My kids are happy. Can't afford a cleaner. So mes is a fact of life.

Post those pics peekaboo! I'm sure most of your friends won't notice and if they do they'll love you for it.

My house is a constant mess. We have too much stuff for this little house, I know that, yet cant bring myself to do the declutter that it really needs! I try to do as much as I can, but hey, I cant do it all on my own!! There are 4 other people living here with very capable arms and legs and they all know how to clean, put washing on, hang it out, put dishes in the dishwasher, but do they do this? Well, tbh, DH will put a load of his washing on, his work uniforms. Last week I caught him going through the basket of clean washing to be folded for his stuff, and not bothering to fold anyone elses. It does my head in!
    He makes the school lunch for youngest DD and his own lunch, but do you think he could wipe down the bench? Not once has he done this! He leaves his mess for me to clean up!
    My floors desperately need mopping. My pantry is currently overflowing as no one can ever put shopping away, they just drop bags of shopping on the bottom, hoping that it will miraculously make its way up to the correct shelf!
    I usually have a complete meltdown where I will go feral, then I manage to clean everything and have it nice for a couple of days before it all starts again!

Yes to this whole thread!!!!
    I usually get bursts if motivation to clean out cupboards and the pantry and then I pull everything out and lose motivation and end up with piles of junk all over the house!!
    I'm also notorious for putting a load of washing on and leaving it in the washing machine for a day or so before I work up the energy to actually hang it out!
    I change nappies in various rooms of the house and leave the nappies where they came off and DH comes home and picks them all up and puts them in the bin! He calls me the nappy bandit!

Quote Originally Posted by Dot Face View Post
    Considering an idea I saw on fb where you put get well cards addressed to yourself up on the mantle or coffee table so when unexpected guests arrive they think you've been too sick to clean .
    I used to leave the vaccuum out, plus a duster. I would quickly dust the most obvious area, like the coffee table and tv cabinet, that way it looked like someone interrupted me cleaning

Honestly though, having a duster just hanging about the lounge room is really handy. Quick dust of a shelf or two every now and then helps.

Quote Originally Posted by Astrid View Post
    I used to leave the vaccuum out, plus a duster. I would quickly dust the most obvious area, like the coffee table and tv cabinet, that way it looked like someone interrupted me cleaning

Honestly though, having a duster just hanging about the lounge room is really handy. Quick dust of a shelf or two every now and then helps.
    I dont own a duster. Lol sometimes I blow at it or wipe something with a tissue or cloth...

Baby wipes are a good all-rounder lol

My version of mopping today was walking around the kitchen/dining rooms with disinfectant wipes under my feet :/

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast