Thread: Domestic failure

Default Domestic failure

I've just had a really shocking conversation with our real estate agent. We recently moved and were due to have an inspection about a month after moving in. No problem.

Well, they moved the date forwards, texted my phone which conveniently had died for the 3 days I was out of town attending a funeral... and came on over on the new date I had no idea about.

Apparently the place is disgusting, and she's coming back in 7 days to re-inspect. I have never, ever in 11 years had an agent say my house was anything other than immaculate. Ok since I had kids I don't get 'immaculate' anymore but they always comment that everything is fine and there's never an issue.

I know there were toys strewn around the floor, and crumbs on my rugs from breakfast... the highchair probably had leftovers smeared on it as we're very busy in the mornings. I have baskets of clean but unfolded laundry and unsnapped mcns..... but nothing dirty or damaged. It's just a regular busy household with two small children who have JUST moved and whose main housekeeper hasn't been home to maintain the usual state of order.

She even commented that she was concerned about the state of the property as we were given such a nice one, and we have children in the house. As if the state of minor chaos is cause to intimidate me by mentioning my children?

I'm just sitting here. Stunned. Feeling paranoid and really down. I feel totally judged and just like I'm a terrible parent and person in general. Things have been so sucky lately and one crisis isn't ending before the next begins lately.

Default Re: Domestic failure

Forshelby; I am sorry to read that your real estate agent has given you such a hard time about this, which should have been a non-event. I guess QLD's residential tenancy act requirements are different to those of NSW and VIC, entitling the agent to inspect one month into the lease? That seems odd to me. RE agents often behave like they are something they are not, and with more authority than they really have.... Rather like a security guard thinking they are a policeman....

Do you have any old copies of letters that other agents have sent you, regarding the clean condition you have had your home? If you do, photocopy these, and attach them to a carefully worded letter to your current agent. Explain the above. If the Act specifies the first inspection is to be one month after moving in, then mention this too, and the fact that they have disregarded legislation and done things to their own tune (come up with better words, my brain isn't quite functioning atm, lol). If you can't get copies of those letters, do say that your home is well kept, and as happens, sometimes more important things need your attention, other than folding clean washing or wiping down a table... Also that you feel it is not their position nor place to be mentioning your children, and that you do take offence to that. It is un called for.

I really don't know who could be expected to be in a home (with or without children), for less than one month, and have everything in perfect order. Good luck, you are doing a super job. My condolences too....

oops, double post

That's a bit rough. Things like toys shouldn't even be relevant, aren't they just interested in whether the actual house is damaged etc?

I agree that a lot of them think they are all that, when they are only real estate agents for crying out loud.

Maybe contact her and explain the situation nicely and ask if they can do it again when you are prepared.

I doubt it's grounds to kick you out so try not to worry about it, you know the reason it happened.

My Dh has been overseas for 3weeks and my house is a bomb site and I only have one kid

I would be doing what has previously been mentioned plus requesting that all future requests to access/inspect the property are provided in writing by post. SMS, while convenient for a lot of things, is notoriously unreliable and I don't believe it's an appropriate way to notify of something like a rental inspection (if they have called and given you notice and send details by text to confirm, fair enough, but not as the ONLY form of notification)

This is the first house I've rented so I can't comment in what is "normal" and what isn't in terms if inspections, however I will comment that our agent stated that we would have an inspection at three months and then six monthly after that. We had moved a hundred years worth of "stuff" with us from hubby's parents and grandparents so we had a lot of stuff to go through after moving - it definitely wasn't done within the first three months with an 18 month kid under foot, and working etc. Our first inspection mentioned that the house was cluttered but neat and not damaged. I thought cluttered was a polite way of saying it needed more cleaning up but because it was a written politely I didn't take offence kwim? It was just handled much better than your situation appears to have been.

I think the way your situation has been handled is pretty ordinary. I'd definitely be addressing it with the real estate or residential tenancy mob in your state. Know your rights and let them know you want be pushed around or made to feel crummy for what most people would consider "normal mess" when you have kidlets!

I'm thinking the text message is quite dodgy and wouldn't surprise me of it was not quite legal. Aren't there particular forms that need to be filled out for these things? Plus you'd think they would require a response from you before they go ahead. I'd be in touch my my rental authority in that one alone. Let alone the insensitive comments.

Brisbane - where it is never like it should be.

Default Domestic failure

Hmmm texting is not allowed. Must be the proper form 9 entry notice (in qld). What she has done is illegal. She has been in your home unlawfully. And might I add as an ex PM you can not fell people how to live. Inspections are there to check for maintenance not to pick someone lifestyle apart.
    Last edited by Beautiful Disaster; August 17th, 2014 at 11:37 AM.

I don't like the text either. The thing is, I had the 19th clearly in writing as the inspection date. My issue is that it's been brought forward (at a really crap time for us) and they gave less than 24hrs for us to respond.

If it was just a standard reminder message confirming the original date, no problem. I'm open to shuffling appointments around to suit them- but they need to provide adequate notice (7 days) in writing by post.

When she didn't receive our verbal approval for the new date- she should not have entered. That's how I see it.

I feel a bit like our peaceful enjoyment and privacy has been breached. Total disregard for legislation and for our rights. :/ now I don't feel comfortable or happy and I don't want to move AGAIN in 6mths because of another crazy agent! Omg!

So this turned into quite the rant. Ugh.

Either that or someone has stuffed up the dates and they thought the 14th was the agreed date.

Either way though.... seriously unprofessional and makes me uncomfortable.

very unprofessional on her behalf! I always thought it was 7 days written notice (Ive rented in WA and VIC).

Send them a breach notice lll

They MUST give written notice.
    She is so beyond in the wrong.
    I would call and discuss it with them and let them know its a breachable offense on their behalf.

Here's what I think she's REALLY got her knickers in a twist over.

While I was out of town, DP had a bit of 'me' time and had a little smoke. I have no issue with this.. for the record.

He left his utensils in the kitchen and the agent saw. So she thinks we're total deralicts of course. *facepalm*

So where does that leave me?

I think the mention of mess is just an overreaction and she's trying to be painful because now she's formed a negative opinion based on a tiny (not accurate of everyday life) snapshot.

Siiighhh. He never would have left his things out if he KNEW she'd decided to rock up a week earlier than agreed.

So he's been a tad naughty but she's blatantly just done what she felt like doing and barged into our home.

Where to from here?

Call the RTA Hun. Do you still come under qld rules

She still has no right to enter your home with out the 7 days written notice. I think she'd be in a lot more trouble for that than your dp might be if she were to call the authorities.

You might need some legal advice. If he was smoking something you can't buy at the shops, you might have some trouble. Check your lease, but most leases say that any illegal activity is grounds for eviction.

Check your lease, and get some legal advice about whether the inspection was unlawful - and if it was, whether they are still able to use what they saw in the inspection to evict you.