Thread: Fridges

Default Fridges

What brand fridge do you have & how long have you had it?

I bought a Samsung 3 years ago, second hand, & she decided she'd had enough yesterday.

I'm on my second F&P washing machine, & just under 2 years in, I'm having issues with it. The last one I gave up on after 5 years (3 control boards in that time). So I've kind of gone off F&P.

I've had enough of unreliability. Our local repairer has retired & there's no replacement yet, so I'm having to take my w/m 2 hours away to be looked at. A 10 kg washing machine. Alone. I had to take it to the local one anyway, but that was only 60k away. I want a fridge that should last 5-10 years. Like the 20 year old fridge I just picked up to get me by. It's light still works!

Any suggestions please I'm thinking Westinghouse. They are the only brand that seems to have been around forever & you still see their older models being used.

Default Re: Fridges

I have a Samsung, it's the first fridge I ever bought new, and I've had it 3 years. Before that I had my Nana's old Westinghouse, I had it for about 9 years and she had it for who knows how long before then. A very long time. We still have it, we use it as a beer fridge every now and then and it works fine, it's just a bit small and not great on energy usage.

We had a samsung fridge that we'd had for 14 years and it died last year. We replaced it with a Westinghouse because they are Australian made. It has been fantastic. We got one iwth the freezer down the bottom with two drawers in it and that's been awesome! So easy to find things in the freezer. it was 520lts

We have an LG. Bought it about 7 years and it still works as good as the day we got it. I can keep vegies/dairy etc in it for weeks and weeks!

Quote Originally Posted by Trillian View Post
    We got one iwth the freezer down the bottom with two drawers in it and that's been awesome! So easy to find things in the freezer.
    Yes, this is fantastic! Whatever brand you get it recommend a freezer with drawers at the bottom. Our fridge has two doors and is extra wide so the shelf space is great. It's very easy to put things out of reach of the kids because it's up higher with the freezer at the bottom, and the freezer having two drawers makes organising it so much easier.

Lol, yeah the one that died was a massive 560ltr bottom mount, with cold water dispenser. Going to be hard to give the dispenser up.

But I have 2 main drawers, another small top drawer & ice trays in the freezer. I'll be looking to get something similar again. Dd3 figured how to climb it soon enough, so it's not kid proof anymore lol.

Just want to find something that'll last longer than 2 years without needing repairs of some kind. Especially when you're paying very close to top dollar.

In a house, on a hill with a big fat welcome mat!

I've got a GE that has been going great guns for 15 years next month! It's moved house 8 times and I've never had a problem. Although it will probably die tomorrow now I've said that! It's quite big and I paid about $800 for it back then.

We opened a business 5 years ago and bought a few commercial fridges and freezers and DH picked up a 4 door Westinghouse fridge with freezer on bottom with 3 drawers on each side and it is better and cheaper than the commercial stuff he bought. Opens it many times a day and has never missed a beat. And yes so easy to find things in the freezer.

I have a Westinghouse side my side fridge and I love, love love it. I love a whole side for freezing with shelves and two drawers down the bottom. The fridge has 2 crispers which is so handy. I have had it six years, three moves and its still great. Seals are all still perfect. Easy to wipe out. It fits platters too and has a bottle rack for soft drinks.

Do some research on the net to see what ratings people are giving the fridges you are looking at getting! I have always done that, just to see if a lot of people are returning a certain brand or complaining about faults or whatever! I have 2 fridges, a Sharp which is almost 22 years old and is still brilliant! Our other one is Fisher & Paykel which has been going for almost 18 years, no issues at all!

We've got LG side-by-side