Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: I've just about finished replacing my chemicals with natural cleaners

where cosmopolitans and margaritas flow all night

Default I've just about finished replacing my chemicals with natural cleaners

I have been searching for weeks at the supermarket for a few things like washing soda and pure soap and borax and of couse they are located either right up the top or right down the bottom of shelves!

I've stocked up on bi-carb and more vinegar. I have my essential oils: lemon, lavender, cloves, eucaliptus, tea-tree.

I've just grated a bar of pure soap and tomorrow I'll make a washing powder and give it all a go.

I'm happy with the way all the things I now have are multipurpose and so cheap. Rather than having a whole heap of products that can only do one thing, I now have a small handful of products that mixed in various ways will clean the whole house!

Best part of all, I know exactly what is in my cleaners!

Ooh, congrats chicky!

Keep us updated!

Well done!!! It feels great doesn't it?

We've also just gotten rid of all our body products (shampoo, conditioner, soap, toothpaste and deodorant) and it feels great!

well done!
    Im not fully there yet, maybe you will inspire me!!

Hi! I'm in the process of doing this.. I just need to wait until DH is out of the house before I go tossing anything away (he's a stickler for not wasting anything particularly expensive cleaners) I'm a huge fan of anything that says 'antibacterial' so this is all a big thing for me!

i'm also using all natural shampoos, consmetics etc.. and have bought an awesome (hugely overpriced) water purifier to get all the lead, mercury and other nasties out of the water..

the reason i'm doing this is i'm TTC.. hopefully it all works and i'll get my baby!

wow - I have just started using bicarb and vinegar with water, and have got the essential oils eucalyptus and tea tree oil. I can't wait to get the rest of the things to go completely natural.

Congrats and let us know how it goes!

Quote Originally Posted by christy View Post
    Well done!!! It feels great doesn't it?

We've also just gotten rid of all our body products (shampoo, conditioner, soap, toothpaste and deodorant) and it feels great!
    Christy, I'm intrigued. What are you using instead of all those?

I've just gotten around to finding products that work for us.

I use the MOPS products (modern organic products for curly hair) but DH uses "No-poo" techniques which is rubbing bi carb soda into the roots of the hair in the shower and rubbing it through and then pouring a cup of apple cider vinegar on afterwards.... It doesn't work too well for my curly hair though. The girls use my products for hair as well.

Mi-Essence body products for soap....

I bought a natural toothpaste "Natura" and for deodorant I use a witch hazel and lavender oil mix in a spray bottle.

Wow Christy, you're hardcore! I was proud of myself just using Enjo and no toxic cleaning chemicals!

I'm not sure I can go the whole natural body cleaners & cosmetics thing TBH, but am quite enjoying the thought of natural cleaners. I was telling a friend of mine about what I'm doing by making my own cleaners. She looked at me confused and said "how? surely they aren't as good as the 'normal' cleaners" I said, "no, they aren't as good, they're better and cheaper and I know exactly what's in them" I was telling her some of the things I'm using and how that's all you need and you just mix different things together in different ways to do the job you need to do. I told her about lemon oil for detering spiders and she's going to try that one.

Today I got down on my hands and knees with a borax paste with a few drops of clove oil mixed in and my scrubbing brush to scrub the mould that's built up over years in my house...mind you, we've lived here for 1.5 years and the mould was there before we moved in! It's starting to work but it's gonna take a lot more elbow grease and a few more attempts though. I will also try just putting some oil of cloves on a cloth and wiping over all the mould and leaving it for 24 hours before rinsing. I've heard that works well.

DoubleK Guest

Well done! i am yet to get rid of my 'old' products yet.. they are all at the back of the laundry cupboard. i thought i might use them whenwe do our final clean when we move out of this place... theni can turf the lot!

poor dp, he keeps forgetting that the spray bottles marked 'VINEGAR' & 'VINEGAR/WATER' are now the cleaners.. and when he is cleaning his car, he's like 'wheres the window cleaner?' 'i need the spray and wipe.. i cant find it?' lol

Girls, what do you use to clean the loo's?? We are still using the toilet ducks etc

Slowly getting there removing chemicals from our house.... it's a gradual process.

Quote Originally Posted by Renstar View Post
    Girls, what do you use to clean the loo's?? We are still using the toilet ducks etc

Slowly getting there removing chemicals from our house.... it's a gradual process.

I sprinkle bicarb around the bowl and then spray my vinegar/water solution and scrub. You can also use a paste of lemon juice and borax or I just pour a cup of bleach all around the bowl and leave it for a minimum of 2 hours or over night.

You can also use denture tablets but I can't remember if you put them into the cistern or the bowl.

I love this thread...
    Im wanting to give it a go.
    Can someone please tell me what i need?
    or give me some 'recipes'

Quote Originally Posted by Rainbow Raver View Post
    I love this thread...
    Im wanting to give it a go.
    Can someone please tell me what i need?
    or give me some 'recipes'
    me too ??? i hardly buy anything except for disinfectant thats my spray and wipe and everything in between lol

White vinegar and bi-carb are your essentials being lazy, I pretty much use vinegar for everything and add bi-carb if if something stubborn. I throw a bit of lavender in too, just to makes things smell pretty, but I think it's a natural dinifectant as well.

Ren, I do FlyLady style on my toilets and wipe them down every day everyday with a bit of toilet paper, and give them a quick brush with the toilet brush. Once a month I clean them thoroughly with vinegar, and if I got guests coming I pop in a few drops of lavender oil and give it a flush.

Christy, that's pretty impressive I might have to give the witch hazel deodorant a try.

Can someone enlighten me here, are clove and eucalypt oils safe to use in pregnancy? I want to try the clove on mould idea, btu i have a sneaking suspicion it's not recommended?

Correct. Oil of cloves should not be used during pregnancy. Eucalyptus is ok though.

Good on you hun. I am still using a mix, but TBH the natural products work way better anyway so it really amazes me why we spend so much money on the chemical ones! I have always only used vinegar on the floors and it's great. I use an enviro-friendly spot remover which is awesome and I have recently discovered nutri-clean (by nutrimetics). It doesn't have ingredients listed but states it's biodegradable and tells me all the things not in it. It's even supposed to be safe for washing fruit and vege! And boy does it clean well - it does such a great job on the shower and I don't even have to scrub. I imagine it could do the toilet too - it's mulit-purpose - I'll have to give it a try.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast