Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: I've just about finished replacing my chemicals with natural cleaners

fill the drain with bicarb then add vinegar. the reaction will fizz it up.

Thanks heaps Ali. Hoping it's drained enough by now!

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyLady View Post
    Just found this thread and in a bit of a crisis.

Read somewhere that bi-carb and vinegar can be used as a drain cleaner. I won't have drain cleaner in the house and my laundry sink is blocked something awful. Had to stop washing machine because draining SOOOOOOO SLOWLY that it's flooding the floor.

Anyone know the ratio of bi-carb to vinegar to clear blocked drains? So glad my laundry is external right now >.<

Thanks in advance!
    Here is the Lush House method:
    Pour a quarter to half a cup of bi-carb soda (alkaline) onto the drain. Wait 20 minutes and add a cup of white vinegar (acid). A chemical reaction occurs whereby oxygen is forced into the mix and scours the pipe. Wait a couple of minutes and pour a jug of boiling water into the drain to flush it clean.
    I have done the same in the past, but never really bothered with measurements and had it still work.

I waited about 3 mins between bi-carb and vinegar. Mainly because forgot the vinegar and had to dash back onto the house and then had to let the vinegar and bicarb mixture sit for about 5 mins while i tried to get DD to open her mouth and eject the twig she was eating :sigh:

Worked though

This site has all the ingredients you need

Thanks Peg. Was looking for a site with a heap of recipes but could only find dribs and drabs!

no problem

amazing how simple making your own cleaners are.

although, i have tried to buy washing soda at coles and couldnt find any in the laundry isle.... i'm also not sure what the natural liquid soap is

Can't you just grate the natural soap, soak it in water and put into a pump pack once sludgy? I read that's what people do with the last slivers of soap to use every last bit.

Or are you talking about the liquid detergent bit? Eco store make one. I was going to check it out to mix with the bicarb for the creamy soft scrubbing paste. Sick of not being able to clean the bathroom when baby around. I'm an ex cleaner so basically had "bleach, bleach, bleach" drilled into me but I really don't like it near DD

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyLady View Post
    Can't you just grate the natural soap, soak it in water and put into a pump pack once sludgy? I read that's what people do with the last slivers of soap to use every last bit.

Or are you talking about the liquid detergent bit? Eco store make one. I was going to check it out to mix with the bicarb for the creamy soft scrubbing paste. Sick of not being able to clean the bathroom when baby around. I'm an ex cleaner so basically had "bleach, bleach, bleach" drilled into me but I really don't like it near DD
    Well i dont really know what the washing soda is. I've looked in the supermarkets but havnt found anything called washing soda. Maybe its called something else.

I've heard a lot of people use the lux soap flakes so perhaps I could add water to that and use as the liquid soap???

Does anyone know where you can buy bicarb soda in bulk quantities? Seems expensive to buy the little boxes intended for use in cooking when you use it for cleaning.

Also - MantaRay said something on the first page about using vinegar for washing floors - what's the method for doing this? Just a dash in the mopping water, or quite a bit? I have just been mopping the kitchen floor with hot water, for DS's safety, but it doesn't really get it very clean-looking.

I use about 1/2 cup of vinegar for mopping. I also add a couple of drops of eucalyptus oil or lavender oil for a nice clean smell. As long as the water is quite hot the floors come up quite well, just wish they would stay that way.

As for bi-carb Coles does sell their own brand in a plastic packet rather than a box, it is much cheaper. I have been meaning to check out some of the rural supply stores, as many years ago someone got me a large box from a rural store. Will post when I find out more.

Quote Originally Posted by Peg View Post
    Well i dont really know what the washing soda is. I've looked in the supermarkets but havnt found anything called washing soda. Maybe its called something else.

I've heard a lot of people use the lux soap flakes so perhaps I could add water to that and use as the liquid soap???
    i wikipedia'd it and it said other names are soda ash and sodium carbonate. Have no idea what product it would be sold under though. Read in another page lectric soda but the ingredient in that is sodium chloride.......

Thanks Astrid - will have to get myself some nice-smelling oil so my kitchen floor looks and smells nice too. Will be interested to hear if you find some bulk bicarb.

xx

Quote Originally Posted by Peg View Post
    no problem

amazing how simple making your own cleaners are.

although, i have tried to buy washing soda at coles and couldnt find any in the laundry isle.... i'm also not sure what the natural liquid soap is
    Peg, are you talking about washing soda crystals? I had a really hard time finding them in Coles too, I eventually found them not near the washing powders, but on the bottom shelf near the pegs - although that was a while ago & my local Coles has rearranged stuff since then.

HTH

Quote Originally Posted by jasp View Post
    Peg, are you talking about washing soda crystals? I had a really hard time finding them in Coles too, I eventually found them not near the washing powders, but on the bottom shelf near the pegs - although that was a while ago & my local Coles has rearranged stuff since then.

HTH
    cheers for that, i'll have to have a really good look.

it would probably be easier if I knew what i was looking for, but as i've never seen a packet of washing soda its probably what is making it hard to find.

Alright, im about to go for a WALK down the street and get all my 'green' cleaning ingredients...

Just doing my bit for the environment
    LOL

Just a quick question with the lavender oil etc... is it ok to buy the ones from the "cheap" shops like $2 shop etc..?
    Also, what is best to clean carpets with and get them smelling fresh?

Quote Originally Posted by Rainbow Raver View Post
    Just a quick question with the lavender oil etc... is it ok to buy the ones from the "cheap" shops like $2 shop etc..?
    Also, what is best to clean carpets with and get them smelling fresh?
    i have a feeling those cheap oils are not really good.

I guess if its just the fragrance you want then they might be alright, but i think they may be made with artificial ingredients...which would include chemicals you may not want.

Essential oils are made only from the oil of the flowers, they are more pure then artificial oils.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast