Thread: Mouldy showers

Default Mouldy showers

Help!

We have recently moved and 1 of the showers is partial to a bit of mould and it is driving me nuts!!!

It seems to be mould spots in the grout and I have tried using mould remover and Enjo calcium remover (which is great normally) but some of them just aren't budging.

What does everyone else use? Any tips for preventing it in the future? It makes me feel like we have a dirty house, which we don't have.

Default Re: Mouldy showers

If it's in the grout (and the grout is white) get Selleys grout cleaner it has fungicide in it so it covers the stain and kills the mould. We have mould spots on the silicone which you can't get rid of and I am going insane waiting for DH to remove the old silicone and put new one in so I know how you feel re feeling like you have a dirty house as I am the same I always feel like the bathroom is dirty when it isn't.

Choice magazine recommends using vinegar in a solution of something like 8 parts vinegar, one part water. There is also a thread on BB somewhere where people were using something like 9 parts vinegar to one part dishwashing liquid, the detergent makes it foamy in the spray bottle so it sticks on better. Also, many people swear by using clove oil, that was used by a lot of people after the Brisbane floods.

I depends if the mould is under the silicone, if it is, you have to remove the silicone and then the mould an regrout.

If not clove oil will kill the mould spores, commercial products will only mask the mould and it will reappear, ABC local radio's cleaning expert Shannon Lush recommends 1/4 teaspoon of oil of cloves per litre of water in a spray bottle for cleaning mould from hard surfaces. Lightly mist on, leave overnight and wipe off.

For long term cleaning, use a vinegar and dishwashing liquid solution to clean the shower. Commercial products actually attract mould. If you can use as natural product as you can, your shower will stay cleaner longer and will not be as hard to clean the next time using natural products such as vingegar.

Does thie clove oil etc work on the celing?

Clove oil works well. We do a blend with lavender,tea tree and vinegar.

Just a warning, cover any fish tanks before using, especially if you have one in the bathroom.

Just a question regarding the mould under the silicone - if renting is it within reason to request that the landlord removes & replaces the silicone?

Thanks for all the suggestions ladies, where can I buy clove oil from?

Any idea why the mould would be only in the one shower and not another?

Quote Originally Posted by TickToc View Post
    Just a question regarding the mould under the silicone - if renting is it within reason to request that the landlord removes & replaces the silicone?
    This is an interesting question because we're in the same boat. We're also missing grout from below the last tile above the bath and it's all nasty =/

Quote Originally Posted by *Ang* View Post
    Thanks for all the suggestions ladies, where can I buy clove oil from?
    Chemist. Sometimes it with the other oils, sometimes in dental. Tiny bottle.

Quote Originally Posted by BlackCat View Post
    This is an interesting question because we're in the same boat. We're also missing grout from below the last tile above the bath and it's all nasty =/
    Ewwwww