Thread: Online grocery shopping

Default Online grocery shopping

Who does it? Who do you use?

Is it worth it? Are groceries more expensive?

Can you save money doing it?

What has the quality of your order been, specifically in terms of accuracy of entire order and freshness or produce?

Experiences please.

Default Re: Online grocery shopping

Who do you use? Woolworths and Lettuce Deliver (sydney only)

Is it worth it? Are groceries more expensive? The groceries are more expensive slightly (Woolworths) but I find I shop smarter so save money overall.

Can you save money doing it? As above, I shop much smarter so my expenses for an online fortnight are less than an in person fortnight.

What has the quality of your order been, specifically in terms of accuracy of entire order and freshness or produce? Lettuce Deliver - always amazing quality. You don't always get everything you order but they don't bill you for it and the invoice shows what the differences are. Woolworths - quality is generally good, sometimes they make a mistake like 1 apple instead of 1kg of apples but the call centre fixes it up straight away.

We've done it, and still often do. We found Coles was cheapest, but for some reason for our area we were assigned some not-very-close store, and they did stupid product substitutions all. the. time. So we swapped over to Woollies. I find the Woollies website easier to use, but Coles has upgraded theirs now so it might be better than it was. We mostly do click & collect because the timing suits us better than waiting for the truck. Fruit & veg has been consistently good, you always get more meat than you paid for. It's more expensive, but we buy in bulk when things are cheap, so that evens it out. Also, we only do our fortnightly shop online, it's cheaper during the catalogue that isn't govt pay thurs.

PS I'm not sure if I save time, but its less of a mental drain than being at the shops & having to find everything with all that background noise, kids whining, etc. Once you've shopped a couple of times it's quicker because you can use your existing lists.

I use Coles because I did a basket for basket comparison with woollies and found woollies over $20 dearer. Coles also do free delivery here every Wednesday, whereas woollies are random free days and not as often.

I do save because I stick to my list and my budget. I can still browse the specials but I have a total and can be more focused on sticking to it rather than throwing things in the trolley and hoping for the best.

I haven't had an issues with the quality, but I often have stuff unable to be supplied. That however is more due to our remoteness and the timing of the freight train lol.

I use Coles because of the Wednesday free delivery thing (I don't think I would do it without the free delivery as wouldn't save enough to cover delivery cost) - I don't do every week so don't get so much fresh stuff (because DH can pick that up on his walk home from station) - but do like it for all the heavy and frozen stuff (our car is a fair way from our front door which is upstairs also, so I love the not having to drag it in from the car). The only bad things is I have managed to order those tiny tins of baked beans by accident once, and also have got confused with quantities once or twice and ended up with loads of something (capsicums I think) - and sometimes things on special like nappies are out of stock and you have been relying on them coming.

Do they deliver to your kitchen bench? I'm thinking of using the service soon due to my pelvic instability and stomach separation in this pregnancy, but don't see the point if they will only dump it as far as the front door.

Quote Originally Posted by *Jessica* View Post
    Do they deliver to your kitchen bench? I'm thinking of using the service soon due to my pelvic instability and stomach separation in this pregnancy, but don't see the point if they will only dump it as far as the front door.
    Ours (Coles) always come in and ask where I want it so can put on table or bench.

That was the reason i did it the first time round (pelvic instability). Where we were living @ the time, only Woollies delivered, but the guy was FANTASTIC. To the day I die I will be thankful to a delivery driver named David, who carried groceries up the stairs, put the cold things close to the fridge & the groceries close to the pantry. He even carried frozen stuff out to the deep freezer (in the shed). So YES, they do carry the groceries in for you.

My friend gets Coles and loves it. For fruit and veg I hear good things about Indigo Whispers. I'm not sure if their is a pickup point close to you though.

In a house, on a hill with a big fat welcome mat!

I do Coles love the convenience and free delivery if you order for a Wednesday.
    It is probably more expensive per item but.... You can view all the specials available and make decisions around things based on what's on special. I also set a budget and order to that amount. No surprises at the checkout like going to the shop!
    I don't order meat or vegs majority of the time as I like to support our local businesses however, if I can't get to the local I have ordered some meat and veg all had been fine.
    I had one delivery with damaged yoghurts called up and they credit my account no questions asked and great pleasant service.
    It's a bit time consuming to work out how to find the things you want to buy but by my third order it was easy and
    I love it!

Quote Originally Posted by Marydean View Post
    That was the reason i did it the first time round (pelvic instability). Where we were living @ the time, only Woollies delivered, but the guy was FANTASTIC. To the day I die I will be thankful to a delivery driver named David, who carried groceries up the stairs, put the cold things close to the fridge & the groceries close to the pantry. He even carried frozen stuff out to the deep freezer (in the shed). So YES, they do carry the groceries in for you.
    So when I order I don't have to demand for David to deliver?!

So when I order I don't have to demand for David to deliver?!
    You should be so lucky LOL. No, really, there's a spot in the order process where you can leave delivery instructions, if you write it in there they just do it for you,

You're a friend on FB, so you probably know the answer to some of these questions from my perspective

Quote Originally Posted by OceanPrincess View Post
    Who does it? Me

Who do you use? Woolies. I used to do Coles, but stopped because nothing came bagged and they were dumping loose items inside my front door.

Is it worth it? Yes. I hate going to the shops

Are groceries more expensive? No it's the same price as the shops.

Can you save money doing it? Definitely because you are not impulse shopping. Put it this way before shopping online. I was doing $300 + worth of shopping a week. When I started online it dropped by about $70. I am now back around the $300 mark but it's taken 7/8 years to get there. Also there are no surprises once you get to check out. If you are over budget you can just remove something that isn't as important. Just don't order 21 packs of stringers like I did at the end of last year instead of 2 LOL.

What has the quality of your order been, specifically in terms of accuracy of entire order and freshness or produce? Never had an issues with quality of produce, but we do occasionally have issues with things being missing etc. All it takes is a phone call and you get refunded. Have also had a couple of really late deliveries in the last month or so. You need to be around for delivery, or do click and collect and it will be in the stores fridge waiting for you.

Experiences please.

Thanks Astro, LOL 21 packs of stringers. Ds1 would love that kind of stuff up!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by OceanPrincess View Post
    Thanks Astro, LOL 21 packs of stringers. Ds1 would love that kind of stuff up!!!!
    Bwahahahaha - I once ordered 6 x 1kg bags of apples instead of 6 apples - ooooops, luckily the delivery guy took 5 of them back and I was credited - whew!

Who does it? Who do you use? Coles since I went back to work after DS, so 4 years.

Is it worth it? Are groceries more expensive? A smidge, maybe $10 on a $500 shop (we shop fortnightly) however the money I save on not impulse buying in store more than compensates for it, as well as the convenience. $10 for someone to walk around the aisles and do it all and unload it on my kitchen bench - YES PLEASE!! Also I have a relative who works for Coles so I enter his staff discount number in (Sssshhhhh). Coles have free deliveries on Wednesdays (you do need to get your order in quite a bit in advance though as the delivery slots disappear quickly)

Can you save money doing it? Yes, all the normal store specials are available so I tend to stock up when the stuff I buy regularly is on special. Also you are not adding extra's in, I find I just buy what I actually have on my list

What has the quality of your order been, specifically in terms of accuracy of entire order and freshness or produce? Usually one or two out of stocks, but most of the time the replacement item is perfectly fine. Used to have more out of stocks but Coles have improved in this area a lot in the last 12 months. They also upgraded their website in the last year and its heaps more user friendly now. I dont buy much fruit and veg online as we have a farmers market 5 mins away that we love and often drop in there on a Sat morning, however when I did get my fruit and veg on line the quality was satisfactory and same as if I bought in store. In honesty the farmers market is cheaper and fresher but thats a personal preference.

Experiences please. I used Woolies once when we were trying to complete DSs collector cards set - NEVER AGAIN. Lots of stupid substitutions - especially with meat/deli stuff, and I was overcharged as the replacements they sent were cheaper but I was still charged for the higher priced item - WTF. When I rang their customer service I was told to return the products in store and sort it out. Again, WTF, if I wanted to go in store I would have in the first place. When I've had issues with my coles order they have fixed it every time on the phone