Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Stain Solutions!

Exclamation Stain Solutions!

What are some of your stain solutions?

Hot wax:

Place Absorbant Paper Towel (or butchers paper) on the stain and iron on low heat till wax melts into the paper. Repeat if necessary till wax is gone

Permanent Marker/Texta:

Carpet - Hairspray (spray on leave to dry and brush gently)
    Walls - Antibacterial Hand Sanitiser Gel, wipe on and off with a soft cloth
    Tables & most other hard surfaces - Whiteboard marker, write on wipe off...

Stains around taps (non varnished/gold/bronzed taps):

Soak some vinegar in some cotton wool or soft cloth and squish in around taps leave for a few hours and eventually it will loosen the calcium build up and you'll be able to wipe it off.

Red wine on the carpet:

Pour some white wine over the top and it will become clear, then soak it up with a terry nappy then clean as normal.

Oil stains on clothing:

WD40 (or kitchen oil spray) spray carefully and closely to the stain so not to get *more* oil on the shirt than necessary. Then rub a dishwashing liquid concentrate into the stain and wash as normal.

I'll add more as I think of them...

Another one for getting permanant marker off walls........acetone and a Chux magic eraser. The Chux magic eraser didn't work all by itself, but combined with a lot of acetone, we managed to get a good 1m square scribble of dark green permanant texta out of a white plainted wall.....

Ooooh, thanks for this! I've got a little red wine stain on my carpet,which I've partially removed. Does the white wine trick work if the stain has been there for a few months?

Does that oil stain one really work well? I've got a favourite t shirt with a small oil stain, wouldn't mind trying that one.

I think the white wine trick is something that has to be done instantly but you might be able to try it.

The oil stain is a tried and true method!

Thanks Cai!

Janie, the oil trick DEFINATELY works.......Cai shared it with me a few years back.....it has been a saviour in this house ever since......

SUPER-MUM Guest

For carpet stains I use Soda Water, it's great!
    Pour Soda Water on the stain, leave for a few minutes, then wipe with a clean cotton towel in hard dabbing motions.

Blood stains on the carpet

Here's the short lesson on blood stain removal: act fast. Carpets today usually come with stain-resistant treatments, so even blood can be removed if you get it right away. The longer the delay, the more difficult removing any carpet stain becomes, and there are no stain-proof carpets yet. With blood, the process of coagulation makes it especially hard to get the stain out if it is old and dried.

Step-By-Step Blood Stain Removal

1. Rinse and extract the blood stain with cold water. Apply just a little at a time, so you don't spread the stain. Hot water can set the stain, making it permanent, so use only cold water. Add the water, then blot it up with a clean white cloth or white paper towels. You can also suck the solution out with a shop-vac, which means less of a chance of spreading the stain.

2. Remove the remaining stain with a solution of a few drops of Dawn dish washing detergent in a cup of cold water. Work it into the blood stain, but be careful not to spread the stain. Blot the area with a clean white cotton cloth or white paper towels, but don't rub the stain, as this can damage the fibers. Damaged fibers hold stains and get stained in the future more easily.

3. Repeat the process as many times as is necessary, or until there is no more transfer of the stain from the carpet to the cloth or paper towels. Then blot up excess water when you are done.

4. Leave the fan blowing on the area to dry it quickly. Otherwise, set a stack of paper towels (white) on the stained area, or a couple clean white cotton cloths, and put something heavy on them. Leave this to blot up the remaining liquid, replacing the cloth or paper towels as necessary. Fast drying keeps any remaining stain deeper in the carpet from "wicking up" to the surface and becoming visible again.

Some have reported good luck using club soda to remove blood stains, so if the above instructions don't work, you can try that next. It's not easy to predict which stains will come out and which won't until you try. This is because of various types of carpet fibers and other factors. For example, wool and other natural fibers are usually more difficult to remove stains from. As with all stains, use water first before trying other solvents for blood stain removal.

Hi girls,
    I'm looking for advice on how to get car oil stains off my concrete driveway?
    Please help;its a new rental....
    Boohoo

bump

pretty please any ideas

LOC is a great product for removing oil stains (well it was when I was a kid)

Another thing that apparently works well is the clumping kitty litter. You lay it over the top of the stain and it soaks it up

from what I've seen previously, make sure its not raining for a couple of days ...

then spread sawdust / kitty litter on the stain to absorb the oil. Leave a few days. Clean up with dustpan & broom.

Then spread concrete powder on the stain to absorb the stain. Leave a few days. Clean up with dustpan & boom.

NOTE! the concrete WILL SET if it gets wet!

cailin, do i get loc at the hardware shop?
    Havent heard of it b4
    Thanks for all of your help. Very appreciated

LOC is an amway product its completely organic and fantastic on oil & Grease stains.

I'd personally try the kitty litter first, as I know how fantastic it is on BBQ's so I imagine it would work really well. Maybe put it on after the patch has been in a sun for a while so its heated up quite a bit. Leave it for a day or two and then dust away.

thanks

DD just drew on our leather lounge with biro, how do I get that off???

Best one I can think of is tomato sauce. Sunlight. Wash & hang in the sun & the spaghetti/sauce stains will disappear.

Will have to try the oil/wd40 one. DH wore his good jeans to work on a truck! How stupid!!!

hi i'm wondering if any of you know how to get a sweat stain from a mattress my dh has the flu so he went to bed after he took some paracetamol so later on he woke up and the bed was wet with his sweat brand new bed too i put some soapy water and bi carb soda on and left it and then vaccumed but you can still see the stain only just though . it went through the mattress protector which wasn't water proof i went out today and brought a water proof mattress protector. so any advice would be greatly appriciated thanks

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast