Thread: Time to cull: are you joining the charge?

Default Time to cull: are you joining the charge?

There's been a lot written of late about culling, and we've been doing plenty ourselves.

Papers we're never going to read, clothes we aren't really into, toys the boys have outgrown (rather than storing them for 25 years for the grandkids, I'd rather they keep getting used!). Makeup that is past its prime, old tech which we've upgraded from, etc. Surplus bags and shoes and vases ...

I know there's a lot more to cull, but we've started -- and the last couple of Christmasses and birthdays, we've also been really intentional about when comes IN - so we're not just refilling the space.

What about you?

What do (and don't) you cull? What's on the list, but you're not ready for just yet?

Default Re: Time to cull: are you joining the charge?

I've stared the cull. It's a slow progress as DS insists on helping but we will continue on.

Completed list
    Pantry- re-organizing, throwing out expired medicines and food
    Bathroom cupboards- getting rid of makeup, hair products etc no longer used
    Kids Toys- got rid of any broken ones, gave away double ups and reorganised storage areas
    Kitchen cupboards- mainly resorting and organizing

Still to do
    Baby stuff- sort through everything DD doesn't need anymore and donate/ sell
    Study- filing is not my strong point so I have a mountain of paperwork to go through- this will be the last one done as I avoid it at all costs
    Bedroom- have half done the walk in robe just need to to the top shelf and need to get rid of all my maternity clothes
    Spare room- currently also known as dumping ground so need to clear it out again
    Garage and garden shed- this one is for DH to do
    Linen cupboard- cull some towels and excess pillows

I've been wanting to cull for the past couple of years and slowly filling up bags of clothes, and boxes of toys and random household things for donation.
    But it's never been a top priority so it really hasn't made the changes I was hoping for.
    Now we're moving house and I'm really looking forward to doing a very serious cull.
    I'm also really looking forward to setting up our next house more intentionally and instituting regular culls and spring cleans.
    Up until this house, I'd never lived in the one place for more than 2 years. So I'd always had to do fairly regular culls but they'd always been a part of moving house, not something you do if you're staying put. Now I see how necessary they are.

I'm doing this.

Clothes wise, I'm culling my wardrobe so I only have clothes I love. Going from about 300-400 items to just 100. Hard with emotional clothes, but working on it. I did make up a couple of months back and still have enough new stuff to last a few years.

I want my house tidy with items I love only. Clothes, jewellery, make up, books, DVDs, toys... DH is resistant, but I'm going to do it slowly, like I did with his bright floral shirts. Can't get rid of the ancient sentimental crap from his parents though, sadly.

I so need to cull too before the renovations start and for a period of time we have less room.

still on the teaching contract roundabout

starting this slowly too. Although our bedroom has become a default dumping ground. (school stuff & waiting to grow into things for DS2 amongst other things). I haven't had a huge amount of time with study until now as I recently graduated again. Looking forward to starting to clear out some stuff this week. MCNs and school stuff to be sorted and put in the shed if needed later. I can't cope with the stuff that's piled up lately.

all my baby clothes *sob*
    But the mess gets so overwhelming I have to start somewhere

All the baby stuff is gone - clothes, toys, furniture, linens, MCNs (not terry flats we still use those for cleaning up messes, etc).

Excess cushions. Dead pillows.

The net thing is (sob) baby books. I have never given away books in all my life, other than information books I've finished with (text books, baby led weaning, etc). But I have a nephew, the first baby in his family, who would really love them. And my boys don't read them anymore.

I just got rid of a heap of old paperwork i have been hoarding. Old warranties, utility bills, pay slips, loan documents for houses bought and sold years ago. I managed to turn 5 boxes into 2. It was very satisfying.

this is still a work in progress.
    Ive been so broke that Im having trouble just donating stuff, when I know people will buy it. but then I have the pile of stuff to photograph that I havent tackled yet!
    This school holidays I will make a huge dent.

still on the teaching contract roundabout

I've finally got to the photographing of the MCNs I need to get rid of but haven't posted yet in a FB MCN group. (Still have newborn stuff and covers to photograph though). Things have been slowly disappearing from the house though. So I get the really slow progress in decluttering.

We're sort of in the middle of painting, so have been decluttering as we go from room to room.

We decluttered before our first was born in February 2014 as we had just finished renovating. We only have a small house with two little ones so we try and keep on top of it but it has started to get out of control.

I am going to start with working out what gumtree is and whether it is worth selling otherwise everything will be donated (provided it is still in decent condition). Anything that doesn't work or is beyond redemption will go to the dump...

Now to just find the time to do it and a way to do it to minimise a 2 year old and 11 month old helping

all my old clothes. I keep only what I love to wear

Books are too hard to cull. So I'm not going to.

Clothes, jewelry and makeup, I've done. Need to pick a colour scheme though and as I don't have a favourite colour, that's hard. Any tips? Got my core colour down to navy, wine red, light grey or brown/tan. Can't choose.

council clean up time!!!!
    we are sorting the shed so we can actually USE it instead of just shoving atuff in and shutting the door
    Last edited by trishalishous; May 15th, 2016 at 08:38 PM. Reason: sorring is not a real word