Thread: Washing a wool doona

Default Washing a wool doona

It'd have washing instructions I'm sure, but I've just worked 40 hours in 4 days, I can't be bothered looking now.

What do you use? How do you wash yours? Washing machine? Hand wash? Just air it out? How long would it take to dry? (Still cold with mildew setting in by 4 & frosts the lasts few mornings)

I've had a wet bed a couple times since getting my new bed, but usually work it out before the doona cops it, or I just air it. This morning I was out of here before the kids got up, and not home til after 3. So the doona sat on top of the pee for about 8 hours & was still wet when I pulled it back :/ I think it def needs washing. And I hope to be able to get it dry tomorrow... It's #4 out of 5 for warmth, so thick & heavy.

Default Re: Washing a wool doona

I can't fit my doona in my machine.
    The kids I wash in it with wool wash on the wool cycle and hang in the sun, but the King is too big and heavy.
    If it needs a real wash it goes to the dry cleaners.
    If I'm desperate it either goes into the bath with just warm water and wool wash and I let the kids stomp it, then I wring out as best I can and hang somewhere sturdy and hose it, or I spot clean with wool wash, hang it somewhere sturdy and hose it.

Mine is a king. I have a 10kg washer, so didn't even think it wouldn't fit.
    It does say dry clean only on the tag. I've aired it for now. See if I still need to on Sunday.

I would get it dry-cleaned. I *had* a queen size woolen doona. It now no longer hangs over the sides of the queen size bed, due to my machine washing, even though I did the gentle wash and all that. Good luck.

I've just been airing it. There's nowhere to have dry cleaning done here. Will buy a summer one soon, then might send it to be done.

That sounds like a good plan. Hanging things in the sun is a terrific way to clean (it is a great bleach).