Thread: What do you clean floors/mop with?

Default What do you clean floors/mop with?

1. What do you use to clean your floors? Do you mop every time, or is there something you can use between mopping?

2. How do you get right into the corners of your kitchen etc?

I have a 4brm house with not a single inch of carpet & I'm really over getting out the mop & bucket every week & scrubbing all the floors with it. I have ugly government housing lino tiles that show everything & is a challenge to get properly cleaned. It'll be the first thing to go if I get the chance to buy this house! I'm hoping there's something out there I can use between mops, just to pick up dust etc.

Default Re: What do you clean floors/mop with?

I vacuum or sweep between mops. Sometimes I use a microfibre dry mop which picks up dust, but it isn't much good for bits of food, leaves and chunks of dirt, etc.

I mop and vacumn every day as I have polished porcelain tiles that show every footprint and mark. I only use water and metholayted spirits to clean them and use an Oates spray mop. It basically has a water container attached to the handle and a microfibre cloth head and you just spray the floor as you mop. I love it as it eliminates the need for a bucket and the less water you use on my tiles the better as otherwise you get water marks so with this mop I can easily control the amount.

With corners then mop head is a rectangular shape so I go along the edge of one side then the other and kind of flick out any particles that may be in the corner that the vacumn missed.

I use a spray bottle with 50/50 vinaigrette and a micro fiber dry mop. Works great.

We have no carpet either, we have Lino glued directly to the concrete slab, really tiny tiles in the laundry, and unsealed slate in the kitchen and bathroom. I have tried the vinager, or commercial floor cleaner, steam mop but they all left a film on the Lino. So I have one word for you, the only thing that has worked, and not left my floors sticky or filmy and it is so easy to use... enjo!!! Seriously, I vacuum once a week, and if the floors get to be before the week is up I use the dusting fibre, and I 'mop' after I vacuum. I have the most perfect awesome floors atm =).

Thanks

It isn't possible for me to mop every day. I sweep main living areas, kitchen & hall every 1-3 days. I work, study play sport & have 4 kids, so only when I get the time & energy.

Mopping, ideally is every Sunday, every other day is full. But sometimes I go another week before I get the chance. By then my floors aren't pretty at all. Spilt food/drinks/drops of sauce etc happen when I'm not around & I'm good at putting these things off, then forgetting all about them.

I usually just use metho & hot water. I bought a bucket with the foot squeegee thing, coz I hate water sitting for too long.

I might have a look into the enjo thanks.

Adore my Enjo.

I think you are great to mop every week. I certainly don't do it anywhere near that. Not so many people in our house so I try to "spot clean" ie spray the sticky or dirty bit with "orange spray" then use microfiber cloth to wipe it up. And kids might learn to spray spills themselves.

I mop using a microfibre mop from Big W, in hot water with a smidge of dishwashing liquid. When we has lino all the way through, i would sweep in between mops. Get a good broom.

Sometimes a quick swizz with the mop through the kitchen/dining drop zone will save your sanity. Just because you have the mop in your hand doesn't mean you have to do the whole house! Also, i have been known to spot clean with a damp cloth under my foot. Just sayin'

I usually steam mop one week after vacuuming then the next I sweep, vacuum and mop with the mop and bucket and really get into it. Like you clover though I can't do it every day and occasionally between working and everything else I don't get do do floors every week, so it gets left until the next and by then they are gross (and I only have 2 people in the house atm - we are really dusty though and in the middle of a drought though...). Men though... Spill something? Oh, no I won't clean it up straight away while it's fresh and easy, I'll wait for steph to do it when it's all hard and yuck... Lol