: How often do you hang your clothes on the line?

• Yes always

47 43.93%
  • No never

8 7.48%
  • Most often

41 38.32%
  • Sometimes

6 5.61%
  • Rarely

5 4.67%
123 ...

thread: Who hangs their clothes on the line?

Jan 2009

Who hangs their clothes on the line?

(could someone possibly make a poll for me?)

Just read a story in the Sunday paper, that hanging clothes on the line is making a comeback with higher electricity prices....got me thinking, I've always hung on the line, except if it's raining. Am I weird?

So, if someone makes a poll to the Question: Do you hang your clothes on the line (weather permitting)
    Yes always
    No Never
    Most often
    Sometimes
    Rarely

Jan 2008
    Central Coast NSW

I use the line in summer but our backyard is too shady in winter/cold weather and it stays wet so the dryer is getting a workout! I only use it in offpeak or shoulder power times (we have a smart meter) to keep costs down.

Apr 2008
    Melbourne

Outside on the line if fine, inside on the clothes horse if not. The only things that go on the dryer are towels and our sheets.

Platinum Subscriber

Apr 2010
    coastside, Vic

I don't even have a dryer!
    Outside on the line or clotheshorse in front of the heater

Add helle on Facebook

Sep 2008
    Bunbury, Western Australia

Outside on the line if fine, inside on the clothes horse if not. The only things that go on the dryer are towels and our sheets.
    Same here. I actually have a camping "hills hoist" that sits under our patio. Best $50 I ever spent!

Mar 2009

Never had a dryer so it is always the line for me! Either inside or out, weather depending.

Sep 2008
    Gold Coast

On the line unless its raining, I like the sanitising effect of sunlight.
    If its raining, it gets 12 hrs on the clothes horse and then finished in the dryer.
    My stuff pretty much gets 12 hrs, and then if its not done, it gets the dryer. I cant stand the smell otherwise

Dec 2007
    Sunny Qld

I have 3 clothes airers at the moment that I use as it's too hard to get outside with all the kids, plus it is the rainy season down here! I drag them out on a good day so they get the sun and finish them off in the dryer.

Jan 2009

I either use the line, or in winter near the wood fire over night - if I know it's going to be really cold in the morning and don't feel like frozen fingers before work. I've recently inherited a dryer, up until now (8 years) never had one so only use it very occasionally.

BellyBelly Life Subscriber

Feb 2006
    melbourne

always outside when the weather is warmer.
    inside on clotheshorse during cooler months, i have a large bathroom so with the heating on and door closed the dry really quickly
    the only things to go in dryer are towels.
    Nai i dry my sheets/doona covers over open doors!! very effective

BellyBelly Member
    Add Party-of-five on Facebook

Sep 2008
    bunbury WA

we have a fire so if I keep on top of the washing it all goes on the clothes airer to dry if I have bulk washing I use the dryer too.

Dec 2007
    Hork-Bajir Valley

always, except since moving into our current house, the line is right down the back and in the pool fence. so i have only hung my sheets on it. I use air dryers in that are always up in my family room and drive me INSANE!! but its only pure laziness so i dont have to walk right down the back and open a gate to get to the clothes line.. and poor poverty that has stopped me buying a new one and putting it in a better spot. I've never owned a dryer, even when i lived in Canberra i would be hanging washing out and it would freeze on the line.

May 2009
    SEQLD

Hang on the line weather permitting, have a little mini clothes line thingy that we put up outside on the patio or in the lounge room depending on how windy it is.

Dyer only if we really really need it. Would rather the washing piled up for a week than use it!

Sep 2005
    In the middle of nowhere

Always on the line. I have an undercover one outside as well. Rain is as rare as hens teeth here, but the sun bleaches everything!! And it's far too hot in summer to be out hanging stuff on the line.
    I did used to use my dryer occasionally, but it pooed itself a few months back and we've still been OK.

Apr 2007
    Gold Coast

I mainly use the clothes lines- we have 2- one is under our back verandah (gets partial sun but a good breeze- but also gets we when rains). The other under the house- which i use if i know things aren't going to dry outside that day. I wish i had a hills hoist out in the sun again- but we ran out of room in our back yard when we put the pool in a few years ago.

I only use the dryer for 15mins to soften the mcn's or in need of particular clothing that won't be dried in time (eg work clothes). Even on rain days i can get away with putting stuff under the house and only use the dryer if i need to finish them off.

BellyBelly Member

Sep 2010
    North West Victoria, Australia

Got a big clotheshorse, use that all the time. I just drag it outside onto the deck, it gets the sun nearly all day.
    If its not dry, it sits in hallway (our hallway is sooo wide. Never seen a hallway as wide as ours!) during the day and in the loungeroom in front of the fire at night.

I can't be bothered standing outside at the line.

Dec 2005
    In Bankworld with Barbara

Always on the line, but because of the sheer number of socks and jocks that a family of 6 go through, I use the dryer for those. If anything gets wet on the line or it doesn't quite dry, I will put it through the dryer or on the clothes horse.

Dec 2007

I use the clothes line..

But I only hang clothes out once.. If they get brought in, but still damp/wet, they go in the dryer.. I refuse to chase washing.

123 ...