Thread: IVF/Egg Donor Program in Spain

Default IVF/Egg Donor Program in Spain

Hi,

My DH and I are considering going overseas for IVF treatment using an egg donor and we'd love to get advice from anyone out there who has undergone IVF treatment overseas with an egg donor.

We're currently in discussions with the Institut Marques in Spain and would love to chat with any readers who have been treated by the centre and whether they would recommend it. Also, we'd really appreciate any other recommendations and advice on what to expect when undergoing ART overseas.

We've tried advertising for an egg donor but as yet have had no success and so we're looking at alternatives to egg donorship within Australia.

Looking forward to speaking with others who are or have been in the same situation.

Cheers,
    Bimba

Hi Bimba,
    Have not seen anyone on this board that has had IVF overseas with egg donor but there may be someone.
    have you joined any egg donation discussion boards? there is one very active one called aussie egg donors that have people who have recently been to spain so that would be very helpful for you. good luck.

Hi Anney - thanks for that. I will check out the Aussie Egg Donors site as well.

Cheers
    Bimba

Hi Bimba,

I'm curious. Can I ask why Spain and not Australia?

Fiona

Hi Fabfiona . . . the laws in Spain are a little more liberal with regard to egg donorship and therefore it's easier to find a donor there and also I've been told that their practices are similar to ours here in Aust.

I'd prefer to receive treatment closer to home but the USA is extremely expensive and whilst treatment in Spain is quite pricey it's a little more affordable.

Was wondering how you went with this. A friend of mine will soon be going to Spain for the same reason. I'm also researching it as an option.

I can vouch for this organization and the woman who runs it.
    Last edited by Lenny; September 3rd, 2012 at 02:36 PM. Reason: Editing links

I have a friend who recently successfully underwent egg donation at a clinic in Spain and I am able to give this information:

It cost about AU$15k and included IMSI, PGD and 900euro for the donor (about $1500). This did not include flights, accommodation etc. They said the care was brilliant. They had continual care from 1 nurse and 1 doctor, who took time to place the embryos in the right places during transfer.

In their case, the donor was 22 years old. 9 eggs were retrieved, 8 fertilised. Of those 8, 6 were OK to biopsy. Of the 6, 2 had definite chromosome abnormalities and 1 had possible abnormalities. Of the remaining 3 embryos, 2 were good and were put back in. The last one wasn't in great shape, so none were frozen. I believe PGD was done on day 3 cells.

What I find interesting from that, is that even with the eggs of a 22 year old, 2 out of 9 were definitely chromosomally abnormal. I suppose that makes sense if the average miscarriage rate is between 1 in 3 and 1 in 5.