Thread: Ebay postage??

Question Ebay postage??

Ok so i have posted a few items that i sold on ebay last year. My problem is that when i calculate the cost of this on ebay it is always cheaper than what i have to pay when at the post office sending the item, once i was short by $20 and the person only paid $20 for the item, so they got it for free really (a brand new food steamer - never used)

so i have lots of new coats that i really must get rid of now i have no spare room and they are all brand new with tags still (sent from mum OS cause she thinks i need them???)

wht is your advise with my posting calculation issue???

Thanks

smiles4u Guest

Lightbulb

Can the coats be squeezed into a $9.90 large Australia Post PrePaid Satchel (weight can be up to 3kilo's) ?

...... or Do you think they will be far too creased when the buyer receives it ?

Can throw these satchels in a local street red letter box

Just an idea

Just make sure you put the measurements of the package/item into the postage calculator on the Australia Post site. Its happened to me before also and that was the reason. Otherwise yeh use the prepaid satchels if your items will fit.

Hi Loula - what size are the coats. I have lost some weight & my coats are too big but I can't find anything that is reasonably priced.... Do you have pics? I am in the Sth East suburbs, so could pick them up if you are not too far away

Use the Australia Post website postage calculator.

The Aust Post calculator is only any good when you know who's won the item, but you have to advertise postage charges when listing.

I am interested in knowing the solution too....

Yeah, I use the AustPost calculator too. The price will vary depending on what state it is going too, so don't put a flat rate postage amount unless the item is under 500g. Otherwise, like Smiles said, you can use pre-paid satchels and give a flat rate. Make sure they fit inside one before offering it though, they're not that big!

I used to calculate postage for each capital city and list it in my auction and then said "For other areas, contact me for a postage quote". I'd keep on hand a list of weight and dimensions so I didn't have to go and weigh it all again. It gives people a rough idea of how much postage will cost. Some people can't be bothered asking if the postage costs aren't listed and just don't bid on your items.

Let me know when you list them! I desperately need a new winter coat!!

well if anyone is interested you are more then welcome to pm me your email and ill send you a pic, then you can decide!

thanks for all the great advise now i have to get off my arse and get it done! Oh no

Quote Originally Posted by ~Leasha~ View Post
    Use the Australia Post website postage calculator.
    I agree.

You could also take the items beforhand to post office and get the package and weigh the item and then use the Aust Post website to work out cost to what post code.

Also, don't be afraid to add handling charges as well. A lot of Ebay sellers include that in the postage costs. They advertise the fact they do.
    It costs to drive to the post office and post, your time and so on.

Smile

Hi Loula,

I've been selling on eBay a long time.

Don't use the eBay postage calculator - use the Auspost one as recommended by everyone else.

I also recommend offering a flat rate to everywhere, but providing postage options, such as Express Post and Registered Post. It is also wise to put a statement on your listing that you will not refund for items lost in the mail if the bidder did not choose to use Registered Post (Registered Post is an additional feature on either regular or express post).

I also agree with using Prepaid Satchels. A good rule of thumb is that if the item is over 500g it is always cheaper to use a 3kg parcel post satchel instead of packaging it yourself. You may have trouble getting coats into a satchel though!

For anything between 250 - 500g I use a Prepaid 500g Satchel ($5.70) and I also enjoy using a Large Letter ($1.65) for items that will fit in a really big envelope and weigh less than 250g. If an item can be priced as a large letter I usually offer Free Postage and include the cost in my starting price.

All of these options are the same price Australia wide so you don't have to calculate different postage rates.

If you don't have a set of scales at home I recommend you get one. I usually take photos of the items, then do a test run on the packaging and weigh and measure it myself. I use a sewing measuring tape to measure up the package.

If I'm using a 3kg bag but don't use much of the 3kg I usually throw in something relevant for free.

I'm happy to answer any other questions you've got

Happy Selling!

Jess
    Last edited by Amity; May 3rd, 2010 at 09:33 PM. Reason: Removing link - see guidelines

Thanks for all the advice. Think that because of the rain, I am going to start selling! : )

Quick question. I have over 150 items to sell. Am I better off to go with a store or a listing?

To start up a store you have monthly fees so its more a long term thing.

Bundle the similar items together as a package so you aren't creating as many listings

Thanks Black rose. That is bundled.. with 9-12 items in each! Lmao. I am going to go store as I buy huge amounts from the Us and this way I can sell off the bits I do not want, as I buy in large lots.. Then when we go through all this baby stuff I can list. Thanks heaps though. : )

not that this is any help but the same thing happened to me when I sold a hair dryer - made $0 and had the hassle of getting to the post office and packing it up!