Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: eBay seller etiquette, what do you think?

Nothing wrong with wanting to inspect before you bid! I've done it and had people do it with our stuff.

They also ignored all my questions. I said it's fine if you don't want a stranger in your home, could I just know the brand, where the scuffs you mentioned are, how old it is etc etc. No reply. I ended up bidding, got to our limit and even bid a little more. But then I thought nope, I've gone above what I wanted to spend and they can't even be bothered giving a bit of info about it. So good luck to the other person who ended up paying nearly $400 for an unknown item lol. It seemed great but I found the sketchy description coupled with the sellers weird attitude off putting.

I would not allow someone to inspect an item in my home prior to bidding, the only exception being a car or a boat (neither of which I have ever sold on ebay!). I simply wouldn't want random people wandering into my home to inspect a couch or something similar. Not to mention having to arrange a time and then have people not turn up when they're supposed to.

If listing a big ticket item on ebay I include plenty of photos (showing any damage to the item) and I carefully explain the item in my description. If my description is not accurate or I am dishonest about the item, I would expect the person not to pay on coming to collect the item as it is not as it was described. I'm always honest, so I've never had an issue!

Hope you find another couch, PZ!

Nickle that was my plan if I won, because the description was pathetic and they didn't get back to me with any questions I had, I'd just say the item wasn't as described. They seemed pretty lax with mentioning if the current bidder fell through they'd give me a call, so I didn't really have any qualms about that plan. Ho hum, new day, new couch

Quote Originally Posted by PumpkinZulu View Post
    They also ignored all my questions. I said it's fine if you don't want a stranger in your home, could I just know the brand, where the scuffs you mentioned are, how old it is etc etc. No reply. I ended up bidding, got to our limit and even bid a little more. But then I thought nope, I've gone above what I wanted to spend and they can't even be bothered giving a bit of info about it. So good luck to the other person who ended up paying nearly $400 for an unknown item lol. It seemed great but I found the sketchy description coupled with the sellers weird attitude off putting.
    Whoa yeah! I've generally found those who are ligit and don't want people to come over tend to post very good descriptions and many photos. (actually I tend not to bid on anything that doesn't have at least 3 photos)

Now knowing a bit more sounds like they were trying to get rid of a dodgy item that even the salvos wouldn't take. Good on ya PZ!

Recently there was a thread ooposite to this one - that a buyer wanted to come and look at a pram or something before bidding and the seller at the time was reluctant to let a stranger in their home. So I guess everyone has their own viewpoints.
    I would personally like to view a large item like a couch before purchase.

With an item like a pram or a car, you can take it to a nearby area such as a park or carpark so that people can see it without coming into your home.

With a sofa/couch, I would want to see it if I were spending serious money on it if the description wasn't up to much. I know when DH has sold small things some people ask for a photo of a particular aspect or for more details, which are usually supplied promptly.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12