Thread: Not happy with item (not as described)

Unhappy Not happy with item (not as described)

This may be premature because I'm trying to work this out with seller, but here's what happened:

Won a Valco Vee Bee playpen which I had been looking for on ebay - saved some money on it so I was happy. Description of condition was "Used but excellent condition - no marks - easily washable". My mistake was picking it up and not inspecting it (raining out, husband and cranky baby in car waiting for me). Well, when I got home it was missing a clip (non-essential, but still missing) AND had a 4 inch tear in one of the seams. I would have never bid had I known as DH is so picky about the condition of things that we use with DS. I have texted and asked for a refund (I'd drive the 25 minutes to return it). After asking me to send a photo of the tear (fair request), Seller has offered a discount - but I don't want it because of the condition, not because I thought I paid too much for something that was torn - I wanted an item that met the original description. I offered to pay the relisting fee (which I think was generous considering that the item wasn't as described but I do believe the seller didn't know). When picking up, I did make the mistake of mentioning that it was "only" a $60 savings and DH was questioning why I just didn't buy a new one but that was me over-sharing as usual and really wasn't a backing out of it thing.

I was excited to get this item - noticed the tear when setting it up as I was inspecting it prior to washing.

I haven't left seller feedback yet because I want to give her a chance to rectify as I do believe it was an innocent mistake but I will be so angry if she doesn't take it back as it is not as described and as a result my DH won't let me use it so it's like throwing away almost $170.

Advice please!!!!

No they have to refund you, it's an actual fraudulent listing if the item is not described adequately.
    Also contact eBay and they will also get involved.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk xoxox

Oh, what a bummer .

Unfortunately eBay won't do much for you because you picked the item up. They take no responsibility because they expect that you would check the item before agreeing to take it (although I totally get where you are coming from, so easily done and you'd expect the item to be as described ).

FWIW if you contact Valco, they'll probably send you a clip free of charge. They did this for me once

I hope the seller does the right thing.

Is it fixable? (the tear) Meaning can it be sewn up?

Oh, I should mention that it is worth persisting with the seller about a refund. If she refuses to refund you, tell her that you will follow it up with eBay (even though they probably won't help). That might be enough for her to cave in and do the right thing.

I think we will work it out - I'm suppose to bring it back tomorrow for a refund of $160 - so I'd be out $7.50. I'm OK with this outcome (I believe she thinks I'm being too picky but I still feel like an item described as being in "excellent condition" shouldn't have a tear - even on a seam.

Excellent condition means just that. If it had a tear she should have mentioned it.

Hope things go well tomorrow

I am happy to report that the seller was very nice about it. I knew it was an honest mistake on her part and she did the right thing. Now I have to look out for sales on the Valco play pen (new)! My husband pointed out that for the $60 savings, he'd rather have a new one that is perfect and the warranty - and the sell it on ebay when we want to get rid of it. I'd be happy with a perfect used one and $60 in our pocket, but I can't manage the running around to inspect these items prior to purchase - it's just too hard with a little one.

Thanks for your advice!