Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Selling kids/women's clothes and other stuff on eBay - is it worth it??

Default Selling kids/women's clothes and other stuff on eBay - is it worth it??

I have never sold anything on eBay (or similar). I usually just hold on to stuff or give it away. Right now I have good quality clothes (DD and mine) and other stuff (books, etc) that I thought maybe I could sell.

Is it worth the hassle? Do you get anywhere near their value???

Thanks

I only bother with 'nice' stuff like PP, Sprout etc but even then I sometimes don't make it back, plus I find the hassle of packing and posting to be a PITA - would rather give it to the Salvos!!

I gave a whole lot of books to my sister to give to the people who give books to the homeless. SHe decided to sell them on Ebay. Didn't work - got 99cents for a few of them and then had the hassle of postage etc.

I sold 3 x bags of maternity clothes (sorted into size and season ITMS) and two of the bags went for about $30 each and the other went for about $7. I was happy.

My kids clothes i have so far sold and given away on BB. Just sell the really good stuff and thrown in the rest for free. I don't have any friends with boys younger than mine. In fact, in my mum's group they tend to give me ALL their boys clothes, so i have a lot more than I'll ever need!

I don't think you ever get their value back, and as long as you aren't going to get disappointed, then you'll do ok. Apparently Gumtree is good too, i've never used it.
    I just put the money in the boys bank accounts. Then it's all worth it, because it's their education fund.

Thanks guys. I might give BB a go for dd's clothes. eBay for other stuff. Have to work out what I have first!!!

Lenny, it will go towards the DD's Sibling fund! Although that's a lot of 99c books!

Dumb question- does the buyer pay postage?

I sell a lot of stuff on eBay

Must say, I usually make a profit!

My daughters shoes, from Kmart to Sprout to Converse usually are the best sellers for me! Believe it or not, the Kmart ones I have gotten more than I actually paid for them! w00t

Books - EWWWWWWW @ putting them on eBay! Cause then you have to weigh them, sort out how much postage will be to what part of the country...TOOOOO MUCH EFFORT!

Clothes and Shoes are easy peasy! I only post in prepaid 500g or 3kg bags Set price for each of them, and bobs ya uncle!

Being a stay at home mum, makes me feel like I am kinda contributing to bills and stuff! (it doesn't count when people pay me via PayPal tho, as that is *spending money* hehehe)

I haven't sold anything on ebay (though for a long time I used it as an excuse to hang on to all the tiny little baby things that I couldn't bear to get rid of ) but we did have a table once at the Baby and Children's Markets. I sold most of the baby gadgets and loads of clothes, made well over $400. Much better use of time doing it all at once like that, and then it doesn't matter if you're selling stuff much cheaper than people "might" pay because a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush.

After that my friend had a baby so I started giving all the good stuff to her.

I think books are much harder to sell on ebay now because of all the cheap offshore no postage options. Why buy 2nd hand when you can get brand new for $5 more?

I also have brand new shoes - never worn. Might try to offload them!

Maybe a market stall with a friend might be the way to go....????

I did well at a market, took a bit of time putting nice things into bags with stickers to show the price and made a chart thing and then had a hanging rail for some better things. With the cost of the market split between us, we both made a good amount - I made around $150 and she made $200 ish because she had more nicer stuff! I thought it was well worth it for a few hours work.

The only thing I have made super good money on ebay was an old gym set we didn't want to take to the tip - put it on for 99c just hoping someone would take it off our hands and ended up making around $150

Generally with Ebay pickup is free and buyer pays postage. You do kinda have to say that though - some people will try anything.
    As Nikky says, just use 500grm or 3kg bags and then it's easy and it's all worked out before they buy. That's what i did even when selling and giving stuff on BB. Just use prepaid satchels, then it's fairer to everyone and easier on you because you can just go to the post office once to buy them, then they go in the box like normal mail.
    I have no girl children, nor any reason for new shoes. Sigh.

Be very careful with what everything weighs - in my early ebaying days I got caught out with what I charged for postage and lost money. Personally I've had success with selling books, but clothes tend to go pretty cheaply and aren't worth the effort!

Where do you live? If you live in a reasonably sized city, then I'd recommend Gumtree, as they don't charge you fees to list, plus they've introduced a new rule that all items sold are for pick-up only, so you don't have to worry about postage, as people have to collect from you. They also pay cash in the hand, which is easier than paypal, etc.

BB is a good start, I have sold stuff on here successfully a couple of times, you don't make that much but I like to see things reused and a few dollars are better than none.

Markets you have to be careful about which ones you pick I did one this morning and made only 15 dollars profit. Was selling stuff very cheap but must have been wrong demographic. Have done one previously but different venue and organisation and done well. If you are in MEL I can PM you ones have done.

Thanks guys I will have a bit of a think which way to go!

I am in Melbourne.

mebbe we should do a melb BB market table

I have LOADS of clothes that I would love to sell.

I'd be in on that Cassius!

N2L - tried to PM you, but having an issue with messages - hopefully will be sorted soon.

Foothills of the Blue Mountains, West Sydney, NSW

I have sold practically everything on eBay - so I'm a big eBayer! With postage it depends on what you are selling - it's pretty basic, you can get online quotes on the Australia post website where you put in the dimensions of the package. It's just not as easy with heavier weighing items like big books. I have sold toys, clothes, furniture, books, appliances, bags, even cars on eBay lol! It has been worth it in my experience, but there are some categories of stuff that aren't as easy to sell ie jewellery due to the competition. For the larger items ie furniture you can do a classified ad where it is actually free to list but you just can't post it - has to be local pick up only. Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone more than likely while I should be doing something else!

I sold all my ex display UCW stuff on eBay - I made sure to start it at the absolute minimum I would accept for it, so anything higher was a bonus. I found it really good, the only annoying part was taking pics and putting it all up. I always set it at 7 days so there was a weekend in there, the highest views were always on a weekend.

Good luck!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast