Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What type of eBayer are you?

Quote Originally Posted by Catastrophic View Post
    What is Sniping software?
    Sniping software is a computer program bidding for you. So you can set it at a maximum which can be very high and it will bid on your behalf. So if you have an item finishing at midnight or during the day and you can't be home or have access to a PC to keep bidding, the software will do your bidding for you. It can bid right up to the last second, so while you may have put a bid in thinking you have won, before your screen has refreshed, the sniper will bid and get the item.

If it's something I really want, I'll watch the item and then bid in the last 5-10 seconds. If it's something I'd like but it doesn't matter if I get it or not, I'll usually just put in my highest bid and just see what happens.

I watch to start with. Then when I decide I actually want something, I'll put my maximum bid in at the last minute. It was funny watching one thing I bought, I put my bid in, then someone kept bidding the minimum bid until the end. Because I had put my max in, I still won with about $5 spare. I was a bit annoyed that they pushed the price up though. Maybe they were using sniping software Whatever, I won I also prefer the buy it now items. Often they have free postage & work out to the same price as the auction items anyway. And you don't have to wait for the auction to finish.

Quote Originally Posted by Heather72 View Post
    Sniping software is a computer program bidding for you. So you can set it at a maximum which can be very high and it will bid on your behalf. So if you have an item finishing at midnight or during the day and you can't be home or have access to a PC to keep bidding, the software will do your bidding for you. It can bid right up to the last second, so while you may have put a bid in thinking you have won, before your screen has refreshed, the sniper will bid and get the item.
    but doesnt ebay automatically do this for you when you set your max??

i'm a last 5 secs bidder, i never bid early cos that just bumps up the price imo

yep im a buy it now er lol cant stand auctions

Quote Originally Posted by sepata View Post
    but doesnt ebay automatically do this for you when you set your max??
    Not exactly the same. Sniping software if often quicker and will be able to get a bid in within seconds, I believe you can also get it to watch an item for you and then go in the last few seconds to bid at times you may not be able to do so..do a quick google, the sniper can explain it better than me

I usually bid at the last second with an odd number too. I'll put my maximum amount that I'd be happy to pay at that point too. I don't want to miss out just because I decided to be cheap and then regret that I didn't offer a bit more.

Coming back to this thread. Doing a mix of bidding straight away and leaving to last. Have missed a few by leaving it too late though.

Loving using the odd amount. Just won by 2 cents!!! I put in a max bid of $10.25 and they did a snipe bid for $10.23

I decided on the weekend to buy a kitchen for the kids..

Watched one all afternoon, put a bid on within the last 30 seconds with an odd amount.. It worked!

feeb is offline Thankful for the kindness of my 2012 RAK making me Life member

I sometimes put max bid in and then forget about it. Other times I watch and bid at the end,
    I have also put in odd amounts and won as well.

I get so excited bidding LOL and very upset and annoyed if I get beaten!

I'm a bit of a stalker, and I will do the occasional snipe but never used software to do so. I would like to think I have more self control but sometimes I just get caught up in the game of it & bid higher than I intended. It really irrationally ticks me off when I get outbid!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12