Thread: 5 year old and learning.. please help

Default 5 year old and learning.. please help

So DD3 is 5 1/2 she has been at school for 7 weeks now and Im starting to worry about her learning.

She still isn't recognising the alphabet.. prob knows 10 letters tops, and we do flash cards letter 4-5 nights a week, simple letters like a, she just doesn't know it. We are also obviously due to the above still on the golden words, and it doesn't look like she will be getting it any time soon. She knows how to write her name but not spell it, only the first 3 letters.

It makes me very glad I held her back a term because I know now with out a doubt she will need the full year next year in recept/prep.

I will admit Im am not the worlds best teacher as its getting quite frustrating to see her give up and just randomly pick letter from thin air guessing.

Im headed into speak to her teacher tomorrow but keen to know/hear from others

I'm guessing she's done kinder? Did her kinder teachers raise any concerns about it? She's only been at school for 7 weeks, so I wouldn't be too worried just yet - I would give her more time. But I would also speak to her teacher about it and ask how can you support her at home with learning. Helping them at home with learning sight words and writing etc makes the world of difference. I would take an alert, but not alarmed approach kwim?

she did day care kinder, as all our local kinders were full. They are overseen by a qualified kindy teacher there though and no concerns were raised.

We do go over her sight words every night and she will remember a word and then two days later has forgotten it again.

I am very glad that she has the extra time next year at the same level and hoping one day it will just click (im pretty sure thats what happened with the older two, one day they just got it)

The biggest thing that helped dd with letter recognition was duplo blocks with letters. We 'play blocks' as a family activity here, and to have letters incorporated into a game seamlessly meant it was always there, but not a 'lesson' iykwim? I have never done flash cards, but my dd is stubborn and I can imagine her refusing to participate.

Do you have magnet letters on the fridge, an alphabet poster in her room etc? What about an alphabet puzzle?

I found incidental learning works best for my kids at this age anyway.

Have you tried reading eggs online?

Yep, she just clicks til she gets it right

If I sit next to her and tell her to slow down she just refuses to play

Would it be worth getting her eyes checked?

my older two wear glasses for reading (so do their dad and I) so yeah I have been meaning to do it, unfort it slipped my mind but will book her in

I'm not sure if you have an iPad (or you could even use your computer), but my DD1 has learnt all her letters through watching phonics YouTube clips. Perhaps she would be interested in that as a way of learning?

I would definitely get her eyes checked.

Are there lots of new kids that have started in her class this term? I'm only asking as if there aren't many then is there a chance that her needs aren't being catered for appropriately (eg the teacher is only catering for the other kids who already know their letters?). If that's the case then that could also be why she's struggling. As for helping her learn, I'd try to make it a game. Playing 'fish' with sight words and letters is always fun. I'd also break down those 12 golden words into smaller groups, maybe start with 4 and when she's got those add one or two more at a time but don't stop practicing the ones she knows. You could get her to try to find those words in books eft to help with learning them.

Def get her eyes checked, and in the mean time encourage her to sit up front. It took dd a long time to get her golden words almost two terms but once she got those and her red words she has been getting a new set every other week. We make up funny sentences and story's lots about Mickey Mouse, me being old it makes it more fun. There are games too that use them.

I'd get her hearing checked too!

Olive- oh she has hearing issues, but only the normal selective children issues.

Chody- her whole class started this term. Im not sure what level all of her classmates are up to but I do know some passed their golden words in the first week.. some parents were talking about it outside the class. Will try breaking down into only concentrating on 4 til she gets those.

Black rose- thanks, will suggest to teacher she move seats if possible

Well if the whole class is new that's a good thing, the teacher will definitely doing lots of stuff at her level. I'd say for the time being that its all just a matter of settling in and getting used to school. Lots of learning happens around just how school wprks, the routines ect. All kids learn things at different speeds. Maybe have that chat with the teacher, have her vision checked and just continue helping at home. I don't necessarily think there's cause to worry about the speed she's learning academic things til late this year if she's still not made much more progress than she has now. Since she's gonna do reception again next year, everything she learns this year, whether its academically, socially or just about being comfortable at school, is going to be a bonus and head start for next year.