Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Homeschooling Discussion & Experiences #1

Each state has their own curriculum framework. For N.S.W it's: http://www.boardofstudies.nsw.edu.au...lum_fw_K10.pdf
    and another brief overview:
    http://k6.boardofstudies.nsw.edu.au/...ements_es1.pdf

But you might need to take into account that they are developing a federal or australia-wide curriculum that is to be implemented in the near future: Curriculum | ACARA

Hi!

I am hoping some people still read this thread.
    I am wanting to get a decent collection of old Australia Geographic magazines (or similar) for my son to use for school but I'm having some trouble.
    I was able to pick up 3-4 at our local Vinnies shop but I don't drive so don't really have the capability of checking lots of Vinnies in many different suburbs.
    We don't do much in the way of garage saling either.
    Anyone know how I could get my hands on several dozen magazines??

Have you tried ebay? Not sure how expensive they would be but it's certainly convenient!!

Hi all we homeschool Ds13 and dd6.
    I have popped in to subscribe to this thread and I'm affraid I have to duck back in later on and leave my two pennith worth.

Please do! I would be interested in hearing about your management of such a large age gap between kids.

is this still valid, i would love some info on homeschooling also i am in QLD and have a 7yr old, almost 8yr old

Evening all just popping in again.
    Thanks for this thread BB. Nice to be able to chat to others about homeschool related stuff as well as BB stuff.

Age gap between children.
    It's a non issue for me.
    We have a routine and we always follow the routine as boring as it is, so the kids know what comes next and they don't have to ask me all the time.
    dd is 6 so she needs a lot of help right now and still needs prompting and ds does need help from time to time. But he gets himself started and asks for help if he needs it.
    I guess you could say we tag team it. I help each of the children when they need it but sometimes they have to wait till I have finished with the other.
    We do study stuff together such as Historyand some unit studies. Both the kids really really enjoy it. The biggest difference is theat ds digs a little deaper into them than dd but thats cause he's older and capable, enthusiastic and super interested.

One child is first year primary and the other first year secondary, so very different educational needs. But it's not as hard as it sounds really. At first I was truly worried but now we have settled in it's fine and really I'm not sure what I was so worried about. Yes the children are at different levels, very different, but really it's all about routine for us.
    Dd finishes her work a lot sooner than ds so she gets to run off and play while ds and I do the harder stuff.
    At this stage it has not been an issue.

Hi All,

Popping in to ask a question of any and all who read this thread.
    I got a GREAT bargain at our local library yesterday and was able to get my hands on about three dozen National Geographic magazines (most year 2000 or earlier) for only $4!
    My question is how do I use them!!
    Should I keep the magazines intact and store them until my children are older (as a lot of the content is not appropriate for younger children) or should I tear them apart a bit?
    I was thinking of perhaps going through them and carefully removing the photographs of any and all animals and perhaps laminating some and putting some in an envelope for craft and projects???
    What do you all think?
    For someone who used to teach primary school I am feeling like a failure at the moment!!

Hi All,
    It is very quiet in here but I'm hoping someone will have some thoughts/suggestions for me.
    DS1 is writing very well now and is so enthusiastic about it and spends a good portion of each day doing some writing.
    However, he insists on writing in all capitals except for the letter "i" which he insists must be lower case.
    How much should I encourage him at this point to write with both capitals and lower case?

I had been thinking of homeschooling, but put the idea out of my head as I never thought dh would go for it. Then this weekend just gone, both MIL and DH suggested it.

Other than education QLD, could someone pm me a list of sites to look at? At this point, it's just trying to figure out if it's right for us.

Thanks heaps for your help!

I am interested in this thread to....we have 3 boys under 4, my eldest is due to start prep next year and I have been reluctant to pop him name down at any school!
    We have talked about homeschooling since he was a baby, but we are not well off financially and i want to go to uni part time next year. We don't have much family to help with the kids, and they are currently in daycare a few days a week so i can get everything done and my son does go to preschool. He loves it, but is still hasn't made friends, he loves to play!

Definately not sure of what to do, it is a big lifestyle hange and means I can't go to uni if that is the path we go down...
    What to do! Any advice?

lilprecious75
    With handwriting I sugest a handwriting/copy work book such as Getty Dubay, or Targeting handwriting.
    These type books have both upper and lower case letters to trace and copy to encourage young writers. There are also free handwriting books available online that you can print out.
    There are many different styles of writing to choose from and that is the hardest part. There are also font programs available. You pay for the font, it's comes with a tracable type and a dotted type the children can use as they gain confidence, if you have the money to spend on this type of thing it's real value. A once off payment of approx $50. and you just type it up on word and print it out for your child to use.

sconeonamission
    Try dedicated homeschool forums such as Rockpoolhomeschool.com the ladies are well informed and can direct you to where you need to go. YOu should also try Home Education Assocation(hea.asn.au) and Homeschool Education network
    (home-ed.vic.edu.au)

3cheekyboys
    What about internet based uni courses such as open uni? or other online uni's. There are quite a few "normal" uni's that offer courses online.

My advise to anyone interested in homeschooling is to definatly look at the dedicated homeschool forums. There is a wealth of information about homeschooling in general. Such as rockpoolhomeschool.com aimed at Aus. and NZ. (prod.Aus)
    Not to mention dedicated homeed web sites such as HEA and HEN both australian based sites(both listed in above post).
    I think the key is research, research, research.
    There are several different homeschool styles to look at and decide which is right for you. From "school at home" to "Natural learning" Just to name two.
    Homeschooling can be as cheap (library card) or as expensive as you can afford.
    Enjoy your research

I'm looking into Unschooling at the moment - I'm going to be looking after my nephews a couple of days a week (2 1/2 and 1 1/2) and I want to do more with them than watch Wiggles! The eldest has some speech problems and ASD tendencies, so I'd like to try and work on that as well. Hoping for some firsthand experience from peeps, as well as some you beaut links

I don't unschool so have nothing useful for you sorry. I don't even have friends that unschool to ask.
    I take an eclectic, classical style.
    Ask Mr Google he'll be able to point you in some sort of direction surely. Well I hope so.
    Good luck with your search.
    Can you post your findings please so others can look at the unschool style as well?
    Thanks. Sorry again.

Hi,

I havent' had a chance to read all of the posts in this thread but I will get around to it

My first born won't start school (prep) until 2014 when she turns 5 so we have another couple of years. We have a wonderful public primary school just 5mins walk from our house which has a fantastic reputation in our community & a great private school for when our girls are in high school years, however lately DH and I have been looking into the homeschooling option and considering it. I am at the research stage, finding out as much as I can about it, the different ways to HS, the different styles of HS, what it involves, the commitment involved, how it impacts the other siblings in the family etc.....the social aspect of homeschooling etc.....

Thanks for all the great references and links in this thread, I have a lot of reading to do!!!!

Default Do any of you homeschool your kids?

I posted in the homeschool thread however it's not a highly active thread so thought I'd start one here.

I've been researching homeschooling for my kids, even though the eldest is only 3yrs, I want to look into it all now. HS really, strongly appeals to DH and I & has so many advantages to not only the child, but the family as a unit.

Just interested to hear from any BB members who homeschool their kids?? Surely there are a few of you out there?

I know I can be their teacher because I can read & write and I'm so passionate about my children's education and their journey in learning. It's understanding the full commitment of it all etc that I need to look into it.... knowing that there is always school around the corner if the HS doesn't work out as planned.

This thread is not open for a debate on homeschool Vs classroom schooling either.

And any recommendations, information, you can provide would be wonderful
    Last edited by Shanti; May 21st, 2012 at 08:44 PM. Reason: Spelling error ;)

Grab a copy of the curriculum your son would follow if he were in mainstream school and make sure that's your minimum target.

Aim for an outing at least once a week too - a park can be educational (I mean, schools do pe, right?) as can a museum. Sometimes you'll need the change of scene just to avoid going crazy! Also have a dedicated "sit down and work" place and time. Most things can be learnt through fun and cooking dinner with you is a lesson, not a chore, but sitting and actually doing some pen/paper work every day and in that routine, even if it doesn't seem much, is important.

I'm not a HSer, but I was HSed for some of my primary education and wish I could HS DS.

Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast