Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Un-schooling Discussion

Default Re: Un-schooling Discussion

Absolutely!

We have radically altered our own evolved species behavior by segregating children artificially in same-age peer groups instead of mixed-age communities, by compelling them to be indoors and sedentary for most of the day, by asking them to learn from text-based artificial materials instead of contextualized real-world activities, by dictating arbitrary timetables for learning rather than following the unfolding of a child?s developmental readiness.

Common sense should tell us that all of this will have complex and unpredictable results. In fact, it does. While some children seem able to function in this completely artificial environment, really significant numbers of them cannot. Around the world, every day, millions and millions and millions of normal bright healthy children are labelled as failures in ways that damage them for life.

I haven't been here in ages, thought some might be interested in an update but I wrote a long post and then lost it so instead I'll just say we are still unschooling and enjoying it, if you have any questions then I'm happy to answer

Quote Originally Posted by Jellyfish View Post
    I haven't been here in ages, thought some might be interested in an update but I wrote a long post and then lost it so instead I'll just say we are still unschooling and enjoying it, if you have any questions then I'm happy to answer
    ^^ ditto. It's rather awesome and all the concerns of past discussions seem so insignificant when you're living it.

I am interested. I don't have the time to read back to the original post, I am however, very interested to read how it all works

We are looking at this being our schooling option next year. Already started trying to get a "handle" on documenting. Have Evernote and take photos and notes of activities and what we "cover" in the activity.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456