Thread: Uniforms

Default Uniforms

Hi ladies,

Considering sending DD to an independent school from pre-prep. Their uniform requirement is polo shirt, shorts, socks, windcheater, hat for summer. We do not have a current uniform pricelist. Do your kids attend a private school? how many uniforms will we need and what is a "normal" amount I would be expecting to spend on uniform alone?

I spent probably about $350 all up on uniforms this year for two kids. That includes hats, sweatshirts and one pair of long pants for winter. And shoes but Ive had to replace one pair of runners for each kid.

Our sports polo shirts retail for about $30 and the formal uniform blouse retails for about $35. The sport shorts cost about $25. I bought the navy blue hats/sweatshirts/formal shorts from Big W because the school does not require the emblem on them.

ETA - We have four formal shirts, two sports polo's, two sports shorts and 6 pairs of formal shorts. 1x jumper each. A hat and a spare each. My boys wear sports uniform twice a week and formal uniform the other 3 days so I wash uniforms every second day

Thanks Freya. that gives me a better idea. someone on another forum had bought uniform worth $1400! Perhaps they had older kids needing blazers etc.?The ELC only requires you to buy their sports uniform. I was thinking maybe 3 each of polos and shorts for summer. Do you think that will be enough?Or perhaps 4: 1 to wear, 1 in bag as spare in case of accidents, 1 for the next day and 1 extra so i can wash every second day

Hi belle, my youngest DD starts ELC next year. Our school also requires the ELC kids to wear the sports uniform. I will buy 3 polo shirts, one rugby top and 1 jacket, 3 pairs of shorts and 2 pairs of trackies. Probably 4 pairs of socks to start, more after my washing machine eats them! One school bag, one hat. I expect that uniform will cost about $600-650, not including shoes.

Our school changed the uniform last year and so I had to re outfit the two older kids... the whole uniform for two, including summer, winter and sports, was over $3K!!!

It depends on the school and whether they require their logo on all items.

My DS goes to a Catholic school and to outfit him this year (3 formal shirts, 2 sports shirts, 1 sports shorts, 3 formal shorts, a tracksuit, 2 jumpers a hat, black shoes and runners) cost about $550. They were all purchased from the uniform shop at school and all brand new. I noticed they had excellent second hand items cheaper but none in my DS's size.

It does get more expensive as they get older simply because the larger sizes are more expensive. Also, in the final two years of high school, they require blazers, ties and vests (at least for this school).
    Last edited by Chocaholic; June 18th, 2013 at 05:27 PM. Reason: extra info

My son is in prep this year and we bought him 3 dress shirts, 1 sports shirt, 2 pairs of shorts, 2 trousers, 1 sports short, 1 sports track pants, 2 jumpers, 1 hat, 5 pairs of socks and 3 pairs of trouser socks and one pair of shoes. I'd say its cost us all up about $450-$500

Wow! lots of different figures I guess it depends on the school and their criteria + price list. Nickel730, I think it may be closer to my initial budget of $1500. Orientation is in October , so I guess I'll find out then.

If you want to know sooner, they will have a uniform price list. Too bad it is not on their website! You could either drop in and ask for a price list or ring and ask them to email/post you one.

If you can get away with basics that you can source from Lowes/Big W/Target etc then you are miles in front than if you have to buy a specific uniform from a specific shop.