Thread: Writing

Default Writing

DD1 has an interest in starting to write. At the moment she does a million 'o's' on a page and tells me what it says.

She also asks daily to go to school lol.

I've bought a few writing, alphabet etc books for her to start practicing with. She manages a very rough capital A and a very swirly B, and a back to front C. but I don't know if I'm going about it the right way. I have no teaching background, and obviously she is still quite young. I don't want to push her to do anything, and prefer for her to develop at her pace.

Is there a certain system I should be following though to support her trying to write. What happens at school, is there a special method? A good way for her to recognise the alphabet? She can recite the whole alphabet accurately, but doesn't recognise many letters in written form.

Does she need to be able to read before writing?

I find it so hard to keep up with ther little brain because she seems to want to cover stuff that I think was too old for her.

Any advice if welcome.

Tia!

Default Re: Writing

How old is she? I don't think anything is too old for them if they are keen and excited about it and taking it in. And I don't think there is a right way for them to learn the letters - some kids like to be 'reading'/read to and will learn the letters by sight first, some like to draw and if you give them the shapes and repeat what that letter is when they do it they will learn it just the same.
    You can do little activities like cutting out each letter of her name and arranging it in order, then when she has that you can add the middle name, surname, sibling names etc until the vast majority of letters are covered.

You can look on the net for the letters with arrows that show the way schools teach them to form the letters. Also make sure capitals are only at the start of a name, not all the way through (seems obvious, but a lot of parents apparently teach the name in all capitals and the kids get confused at school).

She sounds similar to my DD, she loves writing and can do about half the alphabet. She's trying to learn to read and is starting to put letters together and recognise familiar words like our names.

I have just started her off by writing letters and whatever words she asks for in dots, and then she traces over them. I do tell her about where to start a letter and how to draw it, but at the moment she just does what she needs to do to get the line traced lol. She's got time still to get it 'right'. Then for Christmas we gave her a leap pad scribble & write pad. It basically does what I do with the dots for letters and numbers. On level 2 they have to stay on the line and start in the right spot to 'pass'.

She's 2.5yo. That is a really fun idea artechim. She'll love cutting out the letters and arranging them. Thanks. The writing books I've found have the directions on them, but like Teeki's girl she's just forming them how she likes. I figure as long she keeps practicing them with me while she's interested She'll eventually get the right method.

Teeki that leap pad sounds fun. Where did you get it?

I just got ours from K Mart, I'm pretty sure most stores like that have a while leap pad section where you should be able to find it.

I remember my boy being very interested in letters around that age - we had to read him the alphabet book every.single.night for his bedtime story or the world ended lol.

You can also get a letter sheet with the arrows and laminate it so she can write and rub off with a white board pen. I just got a Peppa Pig practice letters book that my girls like to use sometimes.

I would suggest you gently attempt to get them writing it the correct way before school though - my DS taught himself to write and allowed no input from anyone and now he forms his letters in a way that frustrates his teachers lol.

She doesn't need to be able to read to write no. The O's are a very usual form of first writing. The child is representing text as she sees it. It will evolve to include other shapes and eventually recognisable ones. I would recommend teaching lower case rather than capitals as this is what they will need to write primarily in to begin with.
    Foster her interest by pointing out written words in everyday life. You could focus on the first letter of her name and find things that start with that and cut out pictures and paste them with the letter. Big is better for little hands so get her some of those thick colouring pencils.
    they will teach the correct way to write the letters at school, so if you can try eventually to move towards that, it will help her once she gets there. I'd focus on her name and other family for now.

What a clever chicken, btw, as this is quite early to be 'writing'.

When DS was little I was constantly surprised at the information he would just suck into his brain - way earlier than I had thought kids would. If she is interested then definitely take advantage of that. We got one of the fridge magnet sets with the letters and when they put the letters in it sings a little song about the letter. You can also do activities like tracing over the letter.

Following because my DD is also interested. She has been able to recognise certain letters since about 2.5 and can write her own name. She is just 3 now. It is so lovely to watch.

Check out the Starfall website. Our kindergarten uses curriculum from them, and they have a free website with tons of stuff for little ones to learn their letters, on up to reading, and math skills too. My DD is 2 and she has learned all her letters and most of their sounds just playing around on Starfall.