Thread: EC and cloth nappies - advice required for clueless 1st time Mum

Default EC and cloth nappies - advice required for clueless 1st time Mum

I'm hoping to EC from birth or close to it (without putting too much pressure on myself) and am umming and aaahing about different types of cloth nappies. I don't know what to buy or how many of the many different types.

From what I've been reading, are prefolds and fitteds the best to use for newborns? How does that work with EC? Especially with using covers? I've seen training pants on an EC website where you fold down the flap to let them eliminate but they should catch small misses. They won't work for explosions though.

What do people use? Any advice would be great - feeling completely clueless here and don't want to waste money buying a bunch of nappies we might not use.

And that's without even going into the pros and cons of different brands, models and fabrics. So far we have 3 Cushy tushies - no idea if they're any good.

TIA

I found Cushie Tushies way too big for her as a newborn, Baby Beehinds and anything else with a wide crotch were a bit iffy too.
    For newborn poosplosions, best containment is fitted with cover, or flat/prefold with cover. I didn't worry about EC-ing until her poos had become less frequent. (At first it was 12 poos a day!) I have heard a good trick is to get a stretchy headband around baby's middle and use it to keep a prefold in place, then just flip the front out for wees. You would probably need to flip both ends out for poos... Honestly, if it's a real poosplosion, it will leak out of whatever, so you just have to deal with a certain amount of poopy clothes.
    Good that bub is not due till spring - EC is much easier in warm weather, just leave them bare-bummed and watch for cues.

Thanks for that. Will any fitted or prefold do or are there ones better than others?

We used mostly flats with covers, as B was born in the middle of a Melbourne winter and we have no dryer, so drying time was the priority for us. So I don't have any experience with actually using prefolds! The fitteds I got from a friend - Mandy Macs hemp (excellent fit, not so absorbent), Zappy nappies cotton, and Bubba Js cotton (wide crotch, but great leg elastic meant no leaks - we called them 'the poo-catchers'!). So again, not sure how they rate compared to others, or even if they are still made the same. Maybe ask in the fitted nappy discussion for reccs? I would suggest that velcro fastening would be better than snaps, as that's easier to take off fast...